The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another confo critique...

I'm starting to look for another horse, likely an OTTB due to limited budget. I feel a little sorry for this guy, but there are a few things that concern me about his conformation so I thought I'd post here and get some other opinions:

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=342

Thanks!

Wow, 75 views and no replies...is he THAT hideous?!

He will not be alot of people's cup of tea....but I see a diamond in the rough.

Put some wieght on him, get his neck muscled up...and you will have a good event horse (assuming he is sound)

He looks like he will jump based on how he is put together. He has a jumper shoulder and hindend. I'd like to see him move but can't watch the video at them moment.

His pedigree is very good. He is a grandson of 49er. I had a grandson as well who is going intermediate now. Love his dam line and dam's sire line for eventing. Everything in his pedigree says eventer to me.....and looking at him confirms that for me. He is just lacking in mucsle and weight right now but that can be fixed.

How his neck ties in is one of his weak point...and the typical low heel long toe of how his feet are done. Neither bothers me too much as his neck is not that bad and its shape will change a lot in a year of correct work.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

I sure would have liked to have seen his off side in the video, I was waiting for him to finish the turn and then they'd stop Trying to see more about his neck, the shape and how he uses it. From the photos he's got a pencil neck, looks like a stick horse attachment.

The rest of him has a bit of a nice rangeyness to him. I'd go look and see who he is in person.

I like him quite a bit--except for those front legs. He looks back at the knee to me, and those pasterns are so long. Could just be the pictures, but I would want a look-see IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I like him quite a bit--except for those front legs. He looks back at the knee to me, and those pasterns are so long. Could just be the pictures, but I would want a look-see IRL.
    I didn't see back at the knee....just long toes that give the illusion. But agreed, would want to see him in person and how he moved.

ETA: He did have 20 starts and legs look pretty clean. So I really am not worried about his legs if he vets clean.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I think he'll be a looker with some weight on him and a trim job. I also wonder if those big ol' withers aren't making his neck look worse?

I also love how they describe him as friendly and curious -- curious is my *favorite* attribute in a horse -- I think it means they're smart and it makes them brave, because they look and investigate instead of spooking first and asking questions later.

Who cares about the fine details...he is big and QUIET totally relaxed and Unfazed..with a mind as nice and calm as his go get the horse time fat muscle will fluff up the looks but from my perspective you can t pay enough for a quiet sane horse...don t worry about anything or opinions on neck set ankle angels hip shoulder...go see him watch him jog and buy the horse

3 members found this post helpful.

Ok...just watched the video clip....I like him even more. I'd do a PPE and take him. He will make a nice eventer.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Ok...just watched the video clip....I like him even more. I'd do a PPE and take him. He will make a nice eventer.
    .....great minds.....

I like this one. Vet him, take him home, and feed him some PB&Js.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    I'm starting to look for another horse, likely an OTTB due to limited budget. I feel a little sorry for this guy, but there are a few things that concern me about his conformation so I thought I'd post here and get some other opinions:

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=342

Thanks!
    First off I love your cats! We have 8 ourselves between house and barn.

I too like this horse but what I see is that he is very cow hocked. I have a chestnut mare that looks as cow hocked as he does and she is a great mover and fabulous jumper. Her dam was cow hocked too but not as bad and never had any hock problems and competed thru advanced for several years.

I would definitely see him in person and if he has the right attitude, go for it.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

he isn't hideous! as others have said, he needs some weight on him and some muscling in his neck. he looks attentive and keen, though, and could be a prospect. there're a couple others on the site that are also super cute! if you're on a budget, i think an ottb could be a good, fun purchase, so go check a few out.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought there was something there...obviously he needs some groceries, but he seems quiet with a good attitude. I love that he just kind of wandered around at the end of the shank - and he's still in full work at the track! I was a little concerned, as one poster said, about the length of his pasterns...and my current horse has quite a lot of bone, so he looks pretty light to me. But I am planning to go take a look next week!

I also don't think he's deficient in a lot more than calories, but do think his neck ties in awfully low. That may or may not improve with muscle and simple weight. Still, a good mind can make up for a lot. Maybe have a look?
    Click here before you buy.

I had to laugh when I saw the picture because it totally reminded me of my all time favorite before and after shots- http://dixierumble.wordpress.com/before-and-after/ I listed this horse on CANTER and this was the picture that I had gotten emailed to me to do his listing-
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/...afc43edbd6.jpg

I couldn't quite decide whether it was a horse or some other creature with horse parts. Imagine my suprise when the horse was at the track and the trainer pulled him out for me to see...surely this is not the same horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/...60a18224f2.jpg

Muscling and weight can really do quite amazing things to change the overall look of the horse. We ended up getting the above horse on donation simply because nobody bought him and he was one of my favorite retraining projects. I knew he had big time written all over him just watching him free in the field. He has been in the top three at almost every event and is moving up to prelim now with Lauren Kieffer competing under the name Morton.

I encourage everybody to go look at a horse in person because it will tell you so much more and I really like the way he look in the video. He looks like a horse with a quiet eye that will be very athletic and quiet. If you go to see him let us know!!!!

Really, really like him from the video - not so much from the pictures, but he just looks super bodysore and in need of a good base of support (and some food).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I think with weight and conditioning he will look much nicer. IN his current state, it's kind of hard to "see" it because he's so rangy and he looks like he's all awkward legs - but I like him.

Then again when I look at horses, my primary concern is brain/personality, since I'm not looking to go to the olympics or anything. He sounds like he has a nice personality, and has Dixieland Band on his mama's side, which always puts a check in the "pro" box for me, as every one I've ever met has had a WONDERFUL personality and temperament.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

He reminds me a bit of my OTTB. But when I met him he was sane, sound, curious, and willing. Best thing I ever did was buy him. You can do many things with a sane and sound horse. The neck is going to transform with correct work. I would go get him!
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY