The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horses somehow moved a 500lb round bale ten feet.

I put my round in the the run in this past Saturday, so it's at least 3/4s full still. It has a net around it. I had it tucked into the back corner and when I went out this morning, it was moved the whole way to the front- about 10 feet. It was still on the same side (flat part down) I could tell because of the net rope. My two horses are wearing blankets right now, so I wondered if the chest buckle had caught and someone dragged it backwards panicking. Both were calmly eating from it when I found it and no buckles look funny...... I really hope my goofy black horse hasn't decided to start playing tug'o'war with his teeth and the net on the round bales! LOL
    Kerri

One of mine routinely rubs up against every new round bale really enthusiastically, like a cat scent marking. She often moves them, and occasionally sets one rolling down the hill.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    occasionally sets one rolling down the hill.
    Must see video!

I bought a round bale for the girls a couple of years ago. Had it delivered about 5:00 pm. Came outside at 6:30 the next morning and the three of them had managed to pull it completely apart and were happily lying on the destroyed remains. Last time I tried that experiment!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

2 members found this post helpful.

A horse moving a 500 pound bale isn't anything miraculous - even I can roll a bale up to 800 pounds or so by myself; all they do to move it is rub, find it moves and just play with it until they are happy with its location. I've seen bale cores get shoved and dragged with no real effort on the horse's part and those can be a couple hundred pounds or so on hard core bales. Wallkicker shifts the bale cores around frequently when they get small enough to shove and he has moved them from one end of the barn to where he thinks it should be and it's almosl always the same spot. He never bothers them outside.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    A horse moving a 500 pound bale isn't anything miraculous - even I can roll a bale up to 800 pounds or so by myself; all they do to move it is rub, find it moves and just play with it until they are happy with its location. I've seen bale cores get shoved and dragged with no real effort on the horse's part and those can be a couple hundred pounds or so on hard core bales. Wallkicker shifts the bale cores around frequently when they get small enough to shove and he has moved them from one end of the barn to where he thinks it should be and it's almosl always the same spot. He never bothers them outside.
    You can move a 500 pound round bale when it's on the FLAT side? I can move them when on the round edge, but not when flat on the ground, forget it then.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

The part that's *miraculous* lol, is also that it was tucked into the back corner. it has a wall on two sides , it had to be PULLED, no way to rub and push it. And yes, it was on the flat side so it was slid somehow..wasn't even flipped just once, would have had to have been flipped twice to be on that side. Goofy things.
    Kerri

Mine did the all over body rubs on a new round bale before I bought a feeder for it. I can see a good scratch session moving a round bale.

Even found a pic - she's tight against the wall.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps7864213c.jpg
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    You can move a 500 pound round bale when it's on the FLAT side? I can move them when on the round edge, but not when flat on the ground, forget it then.
    I can flip it at least then move it once it is on its side. OP... maybe someone put their head and neck behind it and moved it? That is crazy, mine have never tried that! Side note, do your horses wear shoes? Desperate to use a net like that but I am concerned a shoe will get caught.

No, mine are barefoot. I've heard from many that if you use the net you must have a feeder in use also. It would be worth it, there is just no waste!
    Kerri

Mine routinely lift up their (heavy!) tire feeders and used to drag them all over the place until I tied them to the fence. So yes, I say they could drag that hay bale a few feet at a time using their teeth. Or maybe they moved it off the wall while eating and then worked their way to the other side to get to the "fresh" hay and pushed it off.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Before or after the box wine ????

"What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Horses don't usually rat each other out if everyone came out ok. Note the placid looks, the "Hey, what's the problem?" expressions. Whatever happened, horses have a code and they ain't talkin'.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Before or after the box wine ????

Who's drinking the wine, me or the horses? lol
    If I had put the round in their run in on a Friday night, I would have to wonder if that wasn't the issue Saturday morning ;-)
    Kerri

I have one horse who will drag his hay bucket to have a view while he's eating. Another oldster, with few teeth, actually dragged a 200lb bale through the fencing tape, with his remaining teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    Must see video!

I bought a round bale for the girls a couple of years ago. Had it delivered about 5:00 pm. Came outside at 6:30 the next morning and the three of them had managed to pull it completely apart and were happily lying on the destroyed remains. Last time I tried that experiment!
    That's why god made the Cinch Chix....

moving hay is nothing our horses removed £500 from my bank account

Gives you renewed appreciation for their strength and restraint!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

They're doing it to mess with your mind.

They are pulling and tugging the hay out, and therefore moving the bale. If you get that bale moving enough, it follows through on its own because of it's weight.