The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winterize Trailer?

How do you winterize your trailer? I think I remember reading an article on USRider about putting tire covers on when your trailer isn't in use during the winter. Does anyone do that? I have a hitch cover...but it got torn up to shreds today in the pasture apparently. Do trailer covers work? Do they do more harm than good?

This my first winter with my "baby" and I want this trailer to last a LONG time! It has to live outside and there isn't a roof over it. It lives in the pasture...

Here's my little trailer! http://s65.beta.photobucket.com/user...3e1da.jpg.html

I don't do anything differently in the winter vs. the summer. I keep my tires covered completely when I'm not using it - have to protect them from the sun as that can do a lot of damage to them. I also park it on patio bricks - the ones you can get at Lowes/Home Depot and the like. You don't want the tires sitting directly on grass as they will make them deteriorate a lot faster. My hitch and all the wires are covered with a trailer hitch cover and an upside down bucket on top. I always clean my trailer out after every use - I never leave any manure/urine in there - never. Old hay is also pulled out. I don't cover it as I don't want moisture building up under the cover - that can be bad for it. My trailer has lived outside since I bought it new in 2004 - it's a Kingston and still looks brand new .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Thank you! I just ordered tire covers

How do you get the trailer on the bricks? Are they laid flat or are you propping the trailer up on the bricks? If its the latter how do you raise the trailer up?

patio pavers is an other common name for the patio bricks... the pavers are 2 inches thick, 8 inches by 16 inches (may be nominal sizes)

being just 2 inches high there this no problem getting a trailer on the pavers

IF you want something that appears to still be grass, use a Paverstone product called Grasstone.... we have used this as overruns on airport runways it will support a 747 if install properly.... also Grasstone is and can be used as fire lane around a barn or structure that requires a fire lane ..... it can easily a 40 ton fire engine and still appear to be a grassy lawn.

http://www.pavestone.com/grasstone-i/

The only thing I did was add antifreeze to my water system (sink/shower/water tank). I use my trailer too frequently to do the rest.