The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Horses are capable of doing amazing things - not all equestrian goes on in the confines of a riding arena. Not all riders are happy in a riding arena, either.
    An upper level event horse is asked harder and more damaging questions than the average hunt horse many of whom hunt regularly and hard into their twenties.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

9 members found this post helpful.

So much for galloping to hounds. Only after you have tested your waterwings.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm kind of disgusted right now.
    Last edited by Arab_Mare; Jan. 26, 2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Edited words.

2 members found this post helpful.

Looks like everyone walked away to ride and pillage another day. Tally-Ho
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

5 members found this post helpful.

Arab-mare - may we ask why you are currently disgusted at humanity?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'm disgusted at the riding in that video. I'm impressed with the trust between horse and rider, but horsemanship is about not putting your horse in danger, it's about using common sense to prolong and encourage that trust.

I get foxhunting, and I understand how it looks fun (I've always wanted to foxhunt...shh, don't tell my Arabs!!) but when you're encountering those kind of dangerous obstacles, I'd call it quits and live another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Arab_Mare View Post
    I'm disgusted at the riding in that video. I'm impressed with the trust between horse and rider, but horsemanship is about not putting your horse in danger, it's about using common sense to prolong and encourage that trust.

I get foxhunting, and I understand how it looks fun (I've always wanted to foxhunt...shh, don't tell my Arabs!!) but when you're encountering those kind of dangerous obstacles, I'd call it quits and live another day.
    so you think the horses can't possibly enjoy this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Not saying that, but I'm saying it's definitely a dangerous situation. The horses who face planted in that creek were most likely not having fun. The horses who got stuck in the boggy grass most likely weren't having fun. Both of those situations could be very dangerous and could be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Yup, my old eventing pony would have been the first in line.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Horses are individual just like people. There are humans that enjoy , sky diving , base jumping , and back flipping motorcycles off ramps ...Just like I'm sure there are horses that take no mental pause at jumping across and over muddy boggy banks and swales.

I'm sure when presented with trappy going and big questions those that don't like it or can't handle it are not doing the job for long.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Horses are individual just like people. There are humans that enjoy , sky diving , base jumping , and back flipping motorcycles off ramps ...Just like I'm sure there are horses that take no mental pause at jumping across and over muddy boggy banks and swales.
    The HORSES didn't look especially upset. Some of the RIDERS are probably going to need a drink or two....My horse wouldn't be particularly unhappy at being all over mud and wet (note a the second ditch "Murphy" figures out he can just swim/wade up a bit) but I would not really enjoy being soaked.

I'm fairly certain that if any of the horses in this video were unhappy with the task set before them, they would not have chosen to take either ditch/drain. I've ridden plenty of horses that were game for this and more - didn't say I was LOL!

The last horse I owned was a TB mare who I was planning to start hunting with in VA. The hunt I was planning to go with gave me several suggestions with how to prepare her. They assured me that if I asked her to do something new, she would either do it happily, do it with a question, or refuse. If she did the first two, she would be a promising hunt mount. If she refused, she was not really into that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure that applies to all equestrian activities.

I have no issue with people choosing to allow their horses to enjoy a day following hounds. If you think they are not happy, please explain how you arrived at this opinion. I do not see pinned ears, no purposeful unseating of riders, and certainly no rearing when asked to make the crossing.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I'm fairly certain that if any of the horses in this video were unhappy with the task set before them, they would not have chosen to take either ditch/drain. I've ridden plenty of horses that were game for this and more - didn't say I was LOL!

The last horse I owned was a TB mare who I was planning to start hunting with in VA. The hunt I was planning to go with gave me several suggestions with how to prepare her. They assured me that if I asked her to do something new, she would either do it happily, do it with a question, or refuse. If she did the first two, she would be a promising hunt mount. If she refused, she was not really into that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure that applies to all equestrian activities.

I have no issue with people choosing to allow their horses to enjoy a day following hounds. If you think they are not happy, please explain how you arrived at this opinion. I do not see pinned ears, no purposeful unseating of riders, and certainly no rearing when asked to make the crossing.
    Any one who thinks a person can force a horse to go somewhere against her will has obviously never had one decide that "Nope, not doing that today"
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, when you are sitting on your grey horse that is flailing and struggling in the bank, you can be impressed with yourself that your horse WOULD take the leap for you, but it still does not answer the question of whether or not you should have asked in the first place.

There are a lot of things my horses would do for me that I would never ask them to. It's riding an animal whose fate depends entirely on you, not an episode of Jackass.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Well, when you are sitting on your grey horse that is flailing and struggling in the bank, you can be impressed with yourself that your horse WOULD take the leap for you, but it still does not answer the question of whether or not you should have asked in the first place.

There are a lot of things my horses would do for me that I would never ask them to. It's riding an animal whose fate depends entirely on you, not an episode of Jackass.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I saw the video posted on facebook and I was quite disgusted by the whole display. Lots of unfit riders slamming their horses about without much concern for the safety of horse or rider.

Looks like they forgot to pass around the leaping powder that morning!

And all this time I thought the Irish loved horses ...

Didn't know whether to laugh or growl.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Arab_Mare View Post

Ah, yes, but you're not Irish! I'd never ask an Arab to take that ditch!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Just because it's topical as this programme aired on Irish TV last night. The second half is all about the current day Scarteen Hunt.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10106041/

I did much worse as a dumb kid. God bless my first horse, LOL!

I like how calm and patient everyone was in that video. I think what the weekend warriors here do at local barrel race jackpots is far worse than any of those very fit horses going through boggy water obstacles. We hope to visit Ireland in a couple of years. I hope they keep making brave, hardy horses like those for a long time to come.

My aunt does hunting in Virginia and she has some crazy stories. When I lived in Virginia, I had one horse that was too old and another too green so I didn't ride with her. Her hunters were completely different horses than mine. I kick myself for not taking her up on an offer to ride one of hers on a hunt.

4 members found this post helpful.

My - some of you come across as shrieking, hysterical women.

Folks - this is NORMAL in that country. Horses have to deal with this type of footing - and crossing - every day. It is a rainy, wet country. The drains were constructed to help drain the land enough that crops can be planted.

The horses and ponies grow up like this. So do the riders. From the time they're born they have to negotiate trappy, dense footing. In the pastures, out on trails - this becomes the animals "normal". The horses are bred for this country. It's normal for horses and riders to ride on the roads, it's normal for them to be going across these drains and boggy areas - it's just normal. Some years are wetter than others. It's called weather.

The world is much bigger than your back yard. What is normal for a horse in Florida may not be normal for a horse in Alberta. If you do nothing but walk on hard packed trails, that does not mean that any other use of a horse is abusive. If you confine yourself to riding in an arena - same thing. These are country horses bred to thrive in this environment. So they thrive. They do.

I own an Irish horse and I'll tell you what - I wouldn't part with him for all the tea in China. He's got a bit of the devil in him and has a sense of humor. He's brave, strong, and smart. He's steady and powerful out hunting yet I can gallop him on a loose rein - he knows his job and is beautifully trained. There is nothing as amazing as a good field hunter. There really isn't. They are very special horses.

I thin the hedge jumping is crazy - because I didn't grow up jumping hedges. The Irish do. It's normal for them - so who am I to criticize? I'm impressed - no wonder the Brits and Irish kick our asses in competition.

Just because you are afraid to experience real cross country riding doesn't mean everyone is. I sincerely doubt the special snowflakes posting about how cruel this is could ride their way out of a paper bag. Get back to me after you've hunted your horse for hours when his blood is up. Put up or shut up.

Get over yourselves already.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

16 members found this post helpful.