The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 50,000th mount for Russell Baze (Fri Jan 25)

An amazing number of rides.

DRF Jan 23, 2013 - "Golden Gate Fields: Baze scheduled to ride in 50,000th race Friday"

Baze, who picked up three wins Monday to increase his career total to 11,836, is just six mounts away from riding in his 50,000th Thoroughbred race. He will be the first U.S.-based rider to reach that mark.

Baze is scheduled to ride the first six races on Friday’s Golden Gate Fields card and is on the morning-line favorite in each race.

Laffit Pincay Jr., whose record of 9,530 victories stands second to Baze in North American annals, rode 48,486 races. Eight riders have ridden at least 40,000 races.

Trailing Baze and Pincay are Perry Ouzts at 45,158, Earlie Fires, 45,029; David Gall, 41,775; Jorge Velasquez, 40,852; Bill Shoemaker, 40,350; and Pat Day, 40,299. Mario Pino (39,575) should join the 40,000 Club this year.

Among the 100 winningest North American jockeys, Baze is the leading percentage rider with 24 percent victories.

In addition to his wins, Baze has finished second and third more times than any other rider. His mounts have run second 8,847 times and third 7,263 times.

Baze’s mounts have hit the board 56 percent of the time. Only two other riders, Pat Day and Chris McCarron, have hit the board with half of their mounts.
    Per this daily tracker from Argentina - jockey Jorge Ricardo remains in the lead as the worlds all-time leading jockey by wins.

Mission accomplished

Equibase 1-25-2013: Baze First Jockey to Reach 50,000 Mounts

Russell Baze, North America's all-time leading jockey by victories, reached another major milestone Jan. 25 at Golden Gate Fields by becoming the first to ride 50,000 races.

The 54-year-old Baze could manage only a third on 3-2 favorite Finish Rich in Nyc in his 50,000th start, a $12,500 claiming race for older fillies and mares at six furlongs. Baze, who is closing in on 12,000 career victories with 11,839, won the first three races on the Golden Gate card.

"I was thinking I was going to go right through the whole card, but it was not to be," joked racing's all-time blue-collar rider afterward.

Of the milestone, he added, "I don't think it's any big thing just going out there that many times, but going out there and really being successful at it, that's what is important."

Speaking of his conditioning, Baze said, "I'm pretty fit. I've got a lot of miles under me. I don't think my physical skills have diminished any at all. I get the odd ache and pain here and there but it's manageable."
    Great quip:

He later added: "I figure in 2016 I'll have 40 years in, and so, that might be enough. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there."

And, he said, he hates being asked about it. "The other day I had to get a part for a door knob and the guy I bought it from says, 'Hey, I know you, are you still riding?' That's always the first thing they ask me."

Imagine what Russell could have done with a good agent.

1 members found this post helpful.