The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PSSM & a free horse...?

I am somewhat familiar with PSSM from discussions on here. I know the key diet is high fat low starch.

There is a horse local to me, nice WP prospect, registered QH, who is free to a good home, and the owner has disclosed that he has PSSM.

The reason she is selling him (supposedly) is becuase he is too big for her at 17H and he is a green broke 4 year old.

How difficult is PSSM to manage and would it be worth taking a nice, free horse, who has it?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I think there are varying degrees of it. I had a warmblood mare years ago with it and I put her on a high fat/low starch diet and symptoms were gone within a week or two of the diet change! So it would really depend on how severe the horse was, in the most severe cases the horses even have trouble getting up off the ground so there is a HUGE variation. But having owned one in the past, if it was a mild case and a good horse I wouldn't hesitate to own another.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd ask if/how he's managed now
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

And ask if it's okay to talk to her vet about the horse.

While this post by the OP seems reactive there are some great replies/info.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...awjdzuxUhrJuqA
    "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds." Mr. G

Ask if you can take the horse on trial - many horses live very useful lives when managed properly.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Warmbloods View Post
    I think there are varying degrees of it. I had a warmblood mare years ago with it and I put her on a high fat/low starch diet and symptoms were gone within a week or two of the diet change! So it would really depend on how severe the horse was, in the most severe cases the horses even have trouble getting up off the ground so there is a HUGE variation. But having owned one in the past, if it was a mild case and a good horse I wouldn't hesitate to own another.
    I have one currently and would agree with the above. Mine is pretty mild, and managed easily as long as we keep him one his diet. He is 11, and in full work as a show hunter.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I am somewhat familiar with PSSM from discussions on here. I know the key diet is high fat low starch.

There is a horse local to me, nice WP prospect, registered QH, who is free to a good home, and the owner has disclosed that he has PSSM.

The reason she is selling him (supposedly) is becuase he is too big for her at 17H and he is a green broke 4 year old.

How difficult is PSSM to manage and would it be worth taking a nice, free horse, who has it?
    This is the university that does the testing - I'd test before taking on a horse that hasn't done enough to observe how usable he might be (or perhaps that is why he's free & the "too big" is the public version ...).
    Even with "proper" diet, he may still end up being a pasture "pony" so be clear (with yourself) on how you'd deal with that possibility.