The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's the deal with Pennfield feeds these days?

Anybody know what the latest is on the Pennfield bankruptcy? My feed store is trying to switch people off of Pennfield since they said it looks like they were going to be bought out and the products were not going to be made anymore...but, the thing is, they used to make a great line of feeds! I have been using them for more than 15yrs now, I'd be sad to have to switch

My main concerns are for comparable products for their Fibergized, as well as their ration balancer pellet (Ultra Balancer). I know in theory I could switch to KER, but no where around here carries it, and the feed store said KER has been less than helpful and unreliable with supply, etc....not to mention it's more expensive and a smaller bag. One of my favorite things with the Pennfield feeds was the fixed ingredients/fixed forumla aspect, plus they were local.

Is there much difference between the Nutrena Empower Balance and the Triple Crown 30% ration balancer? They seem to be what most people in the area are switching to.

Sorry for the ramble, I just hate having to audition feeds again when I've been so happy with Pennfield for so many years! Any help with experiences with the Nutrena and Triple Crown feeds would be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to know too! I bought a bag of the KER last time because my feed store was out of the Pennfield and said they weren't getting more (they didn't explain why). My horse likes the KER but I have a problem with the higher price tag for a smaller bag. I bought it last time because it was all he had but I'm not opposed to switch.

Have you contacted Pennfield directly? They have pretty decent customer service.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://pennfieldequine.com/contact.php

I don't know where you are (you say they are local, so assume PA), but my rep is a very nice guy and easy to get a hold of. I think Tami sometimes posts here, too, and seems very nice and helpful. I would start by going directly to the source.

Crap I hope we don't see any change like the article suggests....

http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...ll-assets.html
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I did send an email out last week when I talked to my feed store, but haven't heard anything yet. I just found this article which does sort of corroborate what my feed store told me: http://www.cargill.com/news/releases/2013/NA3070567.jsp

I guess I should try and get in touch with Cargill to see what their intentions are?

Have you checked out Tribute feeds made by Kalmbach? They have pretty good selection to pick from.

http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/Equine.html

My hubby has biz dealing frequently (different species) with Kalmbach and speaks highly of their company and nutritionist.

From what I hear thru the grapevine about Pennfield.....well the only description that comes to mind is its a dead stick.

The nutritional analysis of the Tribute feeds looks nice, but I want to see a list of ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    The nutritional analysis of the Tribute feeds looks nice, but I want to see a list of ingredients.
    You would have to contact them directly to discuss the formulation and production.

I have never personally used their feeds cuz I mix my own. But as I said the hubby speaks highly of them. Tho his industry is a much larger biz than horses from what I hear Kalmbach's is very customer service oriented. Others I have mentioned in the product line to seemed very satisfied they were able to find the specific feed they needed for their horse.

Hello all, I'm with a firm that contracts with Pennfield. What yellowbritches said is exactly right - go to the source (call Pennfield), and make your own judgement as to whether you're seeing any difference in the feed.

I am not currently on a contract with them (e.g. no income from them) and I DO feed Fibregized to my horse. If the feed were degrading, I'd switch, simple as that. But it's not.

The Lancaster media has elevated poor reporting to new heights, and there are some well-funded forces actively working against Pennfield in the market. The folks at Pennfield have had so many challenges in the last couple years with this economy, and I can attest that they've persevered with heart if not a big bank roll.

Cargill did indeed purchase them last week, and my understanding (straight from the source) is that formulas and commitment to quality will all remain the same. Woohoo!! Speaking for me and my horse, and am very happy to hear this. It means that distribution will be gaining ground rapidly, and all us Pennfield fans can breathe a sigh of relief.

I am currently having to drive 5 hours round trip to get it (once so far, looks like it will be every 3 months, I freeze it in a chest freezer) so the distribution coming back cannot come soon enough.

Boyle:

I am looking at a tag for the solutions 10 (by tribute). Ingredients are:

Dehydrated Alfalfa meal
    ground corn
    wheat middlings
    extruded whole soybeans (I am a little worried about that one)
    soybean hulls
    corn starch
    soybean oil
    cane molasses
    calcium carbonate
    salt

etc.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Also, I think major major kudos are to be awarded here. As ugly as the finances got, Pennfield did NOT cheapen any of their formulas. Still fixed formula, still fixed ingredients, still natural Vitamin E (which is incredibly expensive). Any of you in business know how hard it is to hold a line like that when finances are killing you. It's not just marketing fluff, that whole "put the horse first" thing.

Here is the scanned copy of the tribute 10 tag:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...tributetag.jpg
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Thanks naters! I feed Fibregized right now so I'm going to hold out and see if everything stays the same. If not, I think there is a feed mill in Rockwood that carries Tribute.

Default Pennfield feeds will remain unchanged!!

Hello everyone,

This is Tami Jones from Pennfield. Pennfield, like many other businesses and individuals faced many challenges in the last few years. The Horn family made the decision over the summer that the best option for the future of the business was to sell the company. At one time Pennfield was a company that employed over 900 people with various divisions in all aspects of agriculture. Over the years they sold off less profitable business segments, but still carried a large pension. As of last year we were a company of 112 with over 600 people on our pension. This was unsustainable and not appealing to a potential buyer. In an effort to sell the business we filed for voluntary chapter 11 protection on October 12, 2012. While the media did not always accurately report the story, the company and employees persevered. They worked longer days, took on more responsibilities all to ensure our customers received the same high quality products, with the same high quality ingredients they were accustomed to. We never changed our promise to put the horse first.

As of Monday, January 21, 2013 Cargill does own Pennfield. Cargill will continue to:

1. manufacture the equine feeds out of the same plant, Mount Joy. They will not be made in any other facility.
    2.Keep the feeds fixed in both formula and ingredients.
    3. Promote the Pennfield brand as Pennfield.
    4. Distribute feed to the same retailers you currently purchase from.

Cargill was thrilled to acquire Pennfield and has acted through this process with the best interests of the customer in mind. They respect the Pennfield quality and brand and want only to enhance, not hurt it. I have been continually impressed by their vision thus far and wholeheartedly believe this was the best option for the business.

If you love Pennfield, if your horse loves Fibregized, or Grand Prix Granola, or nothing has helped your senior keep weight on like Senior Energized I strongly encourage you not to change. If you would like to speak to me directly or with someone else from Cargill I can still be reached at 717-295-8735 or tjones@pennfield.com

The future for Pennfield is bright! We appreciate your business and support and look forward to continuing to provide the best in equine nutrition.

Tami Jones

Hello Orchid,

If you would not mind calling or email me at 717-295-8735 or tjones@pennfield.com to let me know who your dealer is we would be happy to contact them directly to assure them Pennfield is still very much a viable product in the marketplace.

Tami Jones

my store Stoltzfus feed in Gap, started to not carry the awesome All phase, old name, new name is ultra balancer, I think. I have to special order it, but I am happy to. They tried to push the KER, but i am big fan of don't change something just because it is broke. My 24 old air fern thirves on this. love it, will deal with the special ordering just to get it. (Forgive the typo's)
    Memebr of Charlie Horse Riding Club.

Default Great To Hear!!

So glad to hear that Pennfield will live on! Like I said, it's been over 15yrs that I have used Pennfield loyally, and I hated the notion that I would have to switch.
    I do have to mention though, that in the past 6 months or so I have seen increasing amounts of flaked corn in all of my bags of the Ultra Balancer pellets, which is supposed to be corn free. I used to see maybe one or two errant bits of corn in a bag, but now it looks like a purposeful ingredient as it's so plentiful in the bag. Is this problem being addressed?
    Thanks for speaking out and updating your customers

Quote Originally Posted by Tami Jones View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is Tami Jones from Pennfield. Pennfield, like many other businesses and individuals faced many challenges in the last few years. The Horn family made the decision over the summer that the best option for the future of the business was to sell the company. At one time Pennfield was a company that employed over 900 people with various divisions in all aspects of agriculture. Over the years they sold off less profitable business segments, but still carried a large pension. As of last year we were a company of 112 with over 600 people on our pension. This was unsustainable and not appealing to a potential buyer. In an effort to sell the business we filed for voluntary chapter 11 protection on October 12, 2012. While the media did not always accurately report the story, the company and employees persevered. They worked longer days, took on more responsibilities all to ensure our customers received the same high quality products, with the same high quality ingredients they were accustomed to. We never changed our promise to put the horse first.

As of Monday, January 21, 2013 Cargill does own Pennfield. Cargill will continue to:

1. manufacture the equine feeds out of the same plant, Mount Joy. They will not be made in any other facility.
    2.Keep the feeds fixed in both formula and ingredients.
    3. Promote the Pennfield brand as Pennfield.
    4. Distribute feed to the same retailers you currently purchase from.

Cargill was thrilled to acquire Pennfield and has acted through this process with the best interests of the customer in mind. They respect the Pennfield quality and brand and want only to enhance, not hurt it. I have been continually impressed by their vision thus far and wholeheartedly believe this was the best option for the business.

If you love Pennfield, if your horse loves Fibregized, or Grand Prix Granola, or nothing has helped your senior keep weight on like Senior Energized I strongly encourage you not to change. If you would like to speak to me directly or with someone else from Cargill I can still be reached at 717-295-8735 or tjones@pennfield.com

The future for Pennfield is bright! We appreciate your business and support and look forward to continuing to provide the best in equine nutrition.

Tami Jones
    So glad to hear as I feed Fiberegized and Fibregized Omega! I have to say though, I would love if Pennfields or Cargill could reach out to more distributors! My current feed store is about 30 minutes away and is now implementing a delivery fee that would cost about $5 extra per bag, so I started reaching out to other stores closer by and when I mentioned that I currently fee Pennfields the resounding response was "and you won't be able to get it anymore!". Granted, these were all Agways that sell Triple Crown, so maybe they were just trying to sway me, but as a Pennfields user I think it would be nice if
    A) there were more Pennfields dealers in general so we don't have to search far and wide for them and B) Cargill/Pennfields would release an official statement to the public that they are continuing production of equine feeds.

Maybe you can pass that along for me please?

Oh, and also I wanted to note that Cargill is a great company that also has a local presence here as well, so I am confident it will continue to be a great product, although I am sad to hear yet another family owned business was forced to go the corporate route...

A) there were more Pennfields dealers in general so we don't have to search far and wide for them and B) Cargill/Pennfields would release an official statement to the public that they are continuing production of equine feeds.
    I am sad to hear yet another family owned business was forced to go the corporate route...
    a) Amen! That should certainly be the outcome of the Cargill purchase. The inside team at Pennfield is very excited about this development.

b) http://www.cargill.com/news/releases/2013/NA3070567.jsp and Tami's statement above are both public record.

c) I am too, but glad to hear that Cargill will be a great steward!