The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Does your farrier work when its this cold?

Temps are running between 15 and 20 degrees as a high. Thankfully, the wind has stopped!

Provided your barn allows your farrier to stay out of the weather, would you still expect them to work in less than fair conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    Temps are running between 15 and 20 degrees as a high. Thankfully, the wind has stopped!

Provided your barn allows your farrier to stay out of the weather, would you still expect them to work in less than fair conditions?
    My barn doors can be shut, and if it's this horrid (single digits all week) I will bring out the big propane heater, but yes, my farrier still comes out. Never met a wimpy farrier, and this is their livelihood. I offer hot coffee and sandwiches and there's a heated tack room where he can warm up if necessary.

If mine called and said it was too cold, I would say "OK", but it rarely (if ever) gets much colder than what it has been here lately and my farrier has been out in "typical January in Michigan" conditions year in and year out.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Our farrier came yesterday and it was 66F, in the middle of January?
    Since it was 26F in the morning, he put long-johns on that morning and he was absolutely melting in them.

In our crazy weather, no one working outside can be a fair weather diva.
    You do what you have to do when you have to do it, whatever the weather throws at you.

In 15-20F, yes, he works; otherwise he could be off much of the winter. I am not sure he's working today, however; it was -2F this morning and in some places the wind is bringing it down to -15F. I suspect it has a lot to do with what type of barn he is going to visit. I asked him recently if he has any clients with heated barns and he said yes.

I'm glad I'm not holding horses for anyone today - my barn is not heated, and a forge outside means the doors are open...brrrrrr!!

Mine does but if he wanted to cancel, that would be fine too. I think he'd be more likely to cancel based on road conditions than low temperatures but that would be up to him- I trust his judgement

Mine rescheduled our appointment Tuesday evening. It was supposed to be around 15 degrees when he was here. I have a center aisle barn but no heat in the barn. I was NOT mad or disappointed that he wanted to reschedule. The horses are both retired and they can wait a few days. I sure didn't want to stand out in the freezing cold holding horses!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

1 members found this post helpful.

For the most part I keep working but with one caveat: legs and feet had better be clean and dry in freezing temps or I am not touching them!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was in contact last Thursday concerning a shoe and pressed my luck until Tuesday when he said he could make it.

He never showed/called and has not returned any calls or texts since then. This is not unlike him but hes been fairly reliable as of late (well, the last few months anyway).

IDK, we all knew the weather was coming. If you dont want to work in the cold, change jobs or dont commit to a date.

Now Im missing a shoe and with the ground as hard as it is, I have one very miserable pony.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t me.

I'm not opposed to rescheduling when it's rotten cold out.

Even if you can get out of the wind, when it's cold, it's cold. (Especially if you don't like to wear gloves...and I don't.)

It's 16 degrees, wind chill is 2, and while I'm not excited about it, I'm going to go trim my mare today. I just keep trying to put it into perspective. Were I back in MI, it would be a lot worse!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

He never showed/called and has not returned any calls or texts since then
    If that is the norm, even some of the time, it isn't the weather that's the problem.

OP, I'd be peeved about that. Tacking on a shoe isn't going to take very long. And he's known about it for a week?! My farrier always comes out within 1-2 days for a lost shoe.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Perfect timing on thsi thread...

I'm in VT and we've had subzero temperatures for most of this week, nights being around -23 or so.

I had an appointment scheduled for yesterday [Wednesday] and on Monday I texted him to ask what the plan was for Wednesday. Maybe he'd want to cancel because of the temperatures. His response was "see you at noon!"

So, yesterday, I took the day off to accomodate his appointment. He comes pretty randomly on my scheduled days: says noon, shows up hours later. Or says noon, then says he can be there at 11. SO, I take the entire day off.

Yesterday rolls around, adn at 11:30 I sent him a text asking him to please call me or text me when he's on his way, so I can bundle up and meet him when he pulls in the yard. He says "Okay"

At 1:45 I get a call from him wanting to reschedule because its cold out. Now, I realize its cold, but that's why I asked him TWO DAYS BEFORE (and yes, the frigid temperattures were predicted then, its not like wednesday's temperature was a surprise) and he still said he was coming. I explained that I took the entire day off to accomodate his arrival, and would prefer to still keep our appointment [as not only did I use 8 hours of my vacation time, but I sat around all day waiting]. He wants to know if I can reschedule and he'll give me a discount of $10 per horse. My vacation time is worth more than $20!

Then he says "well, I was working outside at my house with another farrier sharpening our tools, and we lost track of time." So, he was at his house at 11:30 when I originally texted him, he responded at noon (which was when he said he would be there to begin with), and then called at 1:45 to see if he could reschedule because of hte cold, after I had asked him two days prior about the plan for Wednesday.

My response was "Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I took a vacation day to be here, you said on Monday that you'd be here at noon, and I would like you to come today as planned."

He showed up adn didn't seem to be in a bad mood.

Its just annoying that I was proactive and asked a few days before, then he was late to begin with because he "lost track of time" but when he texted me back it was at our original appointment time, then almost two hours later, asks to reschedule.

GRRR
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I am very much in agreement that there are several factors that play into his reliability or lack thereof.

I have been round and round with this guy for 10 years. I have also used every farrier within a 50 mile radius and he is the only one that can manage to keep them on, even on a semi-regular basis (hence the missing shoe).

I thought his change in marital status was helping his cause. Although, and I quote, he couldnt come Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday because “he had a hot date this weekend", whatever that is supposed to mean.

I have been at the end of my rope for a very long time with this guy, but Im also out of other options.

I feel like im grasping at excuses for him (weather) because there really is nothing else I can do about it except suck it up and wait for him to call me.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    My response was "Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I took a vacation day to be here, you said on Monday that you'd be here at noon, and I would like you to come today as planned."

He showed up adn didn't seem to be in a bad mood.

Its just annoying that I was proactive and asked a few days before, then he was late to begin with because he "lost track of time" but when he texted me back it was at our original appointment time, then almost two hours later, asks to reschedule.

GRRR
    You handled it just fine, IMO. A lot of times people who do work like this at peoples' homes (repairmen, etc., not just in the horse world) forget that someone being there to meet them means that person is taking a day off from their regular job. Never hurts to remind them, and you did exactly that in a non-confrontational way. Score!

SuperAlter--IMHO, there's no excuse for a no call no show. And if he knows that the pony is minus one shoe right now, this should have been addressed within a day or two. Most conscientious farriers I've known go out of their way to make sure that "their" horses are taken care of promptly. It's also not uncommon for a farrier to call a farrier friend in a pinch to help out if they can't get out for some reason (in my experience).

I know this doesn't resolve the farrier issue, but what are the odds that you could switch to boots and do some of the trimming yourself IF/when you get in a pinch/get stood up?

I'll never forget the day that I was frantically posting on a MI horse board trying to find someone who could come pull a shoe. Mare had yanked part of it off and bent it so it was totally not something that could wait and my regular guy was out of town.

A farrier gal (who is now a good friend of mine) said that if I could meet her halfway, she'd take care of it. And then she gave me a lecture about "if you're going to put shoes on your horse, you need to be able to get them off yourself. Let me show you."

After that, she taught me to trim over the course of about a year. I no longer have a horse who requires shoes so it works out well for me.

I can understand not wanting to do it all yourself all the time, but maybe it's time for you to have some other tools at your disposal if this guy isn't very reliable.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    You handled it just fine, IMO. A lot of times people who do work like this at peoples' homes (repairmen, etc., not just in the horse world) forget that someone being there to meet them means that person is taking a day off from their regular job. Never hurts to remind them, and you did exactly that in a non-confrontational way. Score!
    What really got me was that he wasn't held up because of another client. He was home the whole time, just not bothering to watch the time, and could've told me on Monday that it would be too cold for him. That would've been fine to reschedule, because I wouldn't have taken that day off. :-)

Why does it seem that farriers are the hardest to get ahold of, and NEVER show up to appointments as planned, not necessarily being late, but never showing at all!? I understand things come up, a client wanted 4 shoes put on instead of just a trim, and that adds more time. But farriers seem like such an inconsiderate sort when it comes to time and other's time being worth something.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

It doesn't get that cold here. Rarely, much below freezing for an entire day, but my trimmer has only cancelled for weather once. We'd had a lot of snow (for us) and she had to take care of her barn by herself and just didn't feel she could manage it all and get out to do my horses. She ASKED if it was OK to reschedule. She is always super punctual and calls if she is going to be even a few minutes late. One time, she was 15 minutes late and hadn't called and I started to panic, thinking I had the day wrong, because that never happens. I LOVE that. I've had the hours late farriers and the don't show up farriers. I am so fortunate that is not part of my life, anymore. I understand things running long somewhere else and don't have a problem, just give me a call or text. Everyone has a cell phone in their pocket these days. It has always amazed me how unprofessional some these people run their business.

When I went to take my horse off the list for Tuesday (high for the day predicted to be in the single digits) our farrier had left a note saying "call if you really need me to come" and had already moved everyone onto the next week. My horses' feet will not fall off between now and next week! there's no way I would have expected him to work in that weather and I wouldn't really even want him to.

I don't think I've ever had an appointment wit my farrier when it was below 25 degrees. If he called and asked me to reschedule because of weather then I would not argue. I have a great work relationship with him so I try to accommodate him as much as he accommodates me. I know my fingers don't work as well in the super cold, so I don't expect him to work through painful fingers if he doesn't have to!

OP: I'm sorry your farrier is such a pain to get a hold of. It's never fun when you contact them about a lost shoe and they don't think it's a big enough deal to make it over within a day or two.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Why does it seem that farriers are the hardest to get ahold of, and NEVER show up to appointments as planned, not necessarily being late, but never showing at all!? I understand things come up, a client wanted 4 shoes put on instead of just a trim, and that adds more time. But farriers seem like such an inconsiderate sort when it comes to time and other's time being worth something.
    I would offer "you don't have a very reliable farrier" and ask you not to judge the entire universe of farriers by that standard. Mine is on time, EVERY time, has never ever not shown up (10+ years, same guy) and if he's running late he calls. He has rescheduled on me ONCE, with plenty of advance planning. If my horse pulls a shoe he comes to replace it or calls a buddy who will be in the area to do so if I can't find someone. (he lives close to 50 miles from me)

Maybe it's time to start looking for a new farrier--although I realize that they are not innumerable!

7 members found this post helpful.