The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff- Warmest Riding Clothes

Title says it all... what are your favorite WARM riding clothes? Any other suggestions for keeping warm while being at the barn? I have great winter boots but the rest of me is FREEZING despite winter fleece lines breeches.

If you add a pair of waterproof/windbreaker pants over your britches...or just find a pair of warmer pants that have windbreaking material. Lined britches are great, but they do nothing to keep cold air out, just warm air in. Also, layers trap air to warm between them.

Those kind of pants are slippery though, so adding full chaps in a larger size is a big help.

There used to be a coverall riding outfit...Arctic Rider or something like that? I used to have the link to it, but last time I checked it wasn't there anymore. It was a one piece full outfit, had fill like a horse blanket and had built in full seats so you didn't slide off the horse on corners. Looked pretty toasty...windbreaking material on the outside, fill and one piece to hold in tons of heat. Anyone know that one?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I wear Under Armor Cold Gear for a base layer. Then I wear whatever breeches. If its really cold and I'm not working that hard or am riding outside I put a pair of snow pants I got in the men's section at Target over that. I don't find them too slippery to ride in for basic stuff. If I'm working hard enough that the slippery is an issue then I'm going to be too hot in them anyway. On top I wear the Under Armor, a thermal top and a soft shell jacket. I've got a bunch of them in different weights. If its really cold, I'll add a down vest on top of that and/or my North Face coat. I like my SSG 10 Belows for play around days when it's really cold, but I like the Heritage Extreme Winter ones for real work. They're not as heavy and aren't as warm, but they have better dexterity.

You could wear a pair of long johns under your breeches. For me it's all about layers. A thermal long sleeve top, fleece half zip, down vest, and Carhartt jacket over that. Or any other decent warm jacket. If it is wind breaking, that's best. One pair of socks with Smart wool socks over them. I usually have to add toe warmers between the two sock layers since I have poor circulation. Then I have some SSG 10 below? (I think that's the name) gloves that are great. It's all about keeping yourself moving too. I'm usually a bit cold until I start riding or doing chores. So, layer up and keep moving!

Edited to add: Cover those ears! An ear band or hat goes a long way! My friend has some sort of thing made by Under Armor that I keep meaning to get myself. Basically, it covers your face (except eye area), head, and ears while still fitting under your helmet.

Oh yes, I have an Under Armor ear band that, while very thin, keeps my ears quite warm and still fits under either of my helmets comfortably.

In really cold temps, I wear a pair of old nylons/tights under my breeches... that seems to help, especially for my feet. I also have the Kerrits base layer set (the tattoo ones) and I looooove them. Normally I wear fleece-lined breeches, but this winter I've just been wearing the base layer bottoms under regular breeches and have been fine thus far in that. On top I do the base layer top (or my other thermasilk base layer top), then a sweater, then my Ariat Lexi jacket, and I've been fine in that (usually taking off the jacket once I start riding).
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I wear:
    * 2 pairs of wool socks
    * Tuff Rider Winter Knee Patch Breeches
    * Dafna Blizzard Tall Boots
    * Underarmour long-sleeved shirt
    * Cotton layer
    * Cashmere sweater
    * Ski jacket
    * SSG 10 Below Gloves
    * A really warm hat

...and I feel invincible. I cannot believe how warm these breeches are, btw. I have another pair of no-name winter breeches that are the same fabric and just as awesome. This is actually my mucking line-up; riding is no different, except that I wear a balaclava under my helmet.

What I really want to know is how I can wear my fleecy breeches to work. Hmmm...
    Last edited by BravAddict; Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Additional question..
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I like nike gear for cold weather, even better if you can get something with a mock turtle neck, and turtle neck layers as well. Riding in scarves makes me nervous (even tucked in I get to thinking about choking hazards if I were to fall/id it got caught in something), so i like turtle necks to keep my neck warm. I also like to wear my full chaps while grooming, even if I don't ride in them. Throwing on the helmet first thing can trap some heat in, too.
    And don't underestimate the power of a hot toddy post ride. If nothing else, it's good motivation to ride efficiently!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I'm a big fan of Tropical Rider's Toasties or Toasties Elements breeches. On top Under Armour or Patagonia, then a fleece vest and a down jacket. My helmet has one of those fleece covers that goes under the chin.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wool, wool and more wool!
    Actually, my layering is this: Smartwool camisole or T-shirt, a techy (Nike or UnderArmour) zip turtleneck, men's wool sweater washed down to size and, if necessary, a down vest. Kerrits winter breeches, Ariat warm tall boots with wool socks underneath. polarfleece head band and Buff wool neck thingy (which is thin enough to pull up over your head like a balaclava and still fit under your helmet. Roeckl winter chester gloves to ride, smartwool/leather gloves for chores.
    Smartwool also makes tights, if you're still cold under warm breeches.
    All that keeps me good down to temps in the 20's, maybe the teens on a sunny day Temps much below that, like we're having now, I lose interest in riding

I'm with everybody else! Layers!!

Make sure that they fit correctly as well... I've found that too tight actually makes me colder!

I still haven't found a pair of gloves that I can ride in effectively, but Herself usually gets my blooding pumping so I don't feel the cold. If it's below 15* I don't usually amount to much anyways, just wrap myself up in a cooler and fart around while Herself spooks at everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

As many layers of Underarmor as I need up top. Irideon or Kerrits wind pro breeches. Turtle Fur is great. Thin enough to use w/helmet, but super warm. If really cold, I prefer riding mittens.

Ariat winter boots if riding in saddle. If riding bareback or doing barn stuff, you can NOT beat Bogs for warmth.

I am VERY warm, but since everything is really light, I can move. So many people wear the really heavy Carharts, they can barely move or mount. Feeling restricted kinda bugs me, so I have found this works a lot better for me.

My Turtle Fur is like this. VERY warm, can be used to cover all but my eyes or pulled down to just cover my neck, so can used MANY different ways.

It keeps me VERY warm!

http://www.turtlefur.com/Turtle-Fur-...&searchSize=12
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy View Post
    My Turtle Fur is like this. VERY warm, can be used to cover all but my eyes or pulled down to just cover my neck, so can used MANY different ways.

It keeps me VERY warm!

http://www.turtlefur.com/Turtle-Fur-...&searchSize=12
    Neck gaiters are great. I only wear scarves for decorative purposes now. Irideon makes some lighter neck gaiters that are great in warmer weather.

Every other brand I tried before the Turtle Fur were too thick for my helmet. The Turtle Fur is warmer, but really thin. I never notice a difference w/my helmet when I am wearing it.

Have used them for the last few winters and am totally sold on them. Soooo warm
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

I have Kerrits Sit Tight N Warm breeches, sometimes a thermal layer underneath.
    A zip up winter T neck layered over a light weight T neck and a vest.

Warm and comfy riding a 14* today, but I wouldn't want to hang around the barn all day in it. A good fleece headband and a neck warmer you can pull up over your face is important too.

I have yet to find winter gloves that I love... But I found a fantastic coat this year. It's a short, sporty coat by Nautica. It has a hood with faux fur trim. It's extremely warm AND super cute to boot... Looks a lot like the warm, puffy riding coats I've been seeing in the European catalogs. I got mine at Macy's, unfortunately I couldn't find it just now when I searched.

The other thing I would highly recommend is one of these: http://www.skhoop.us/skirts-all.html
    Almost everyone at my barn has at least one - most have the original or the Hella. You would not believe how much warmth they add. They're not very thick but they are amazingly toasty... I'm getting another one to wear when I'm doing my barn work at home and to take backpacking. They zip up both sides so they're easy to take on and off and you can adjust the position of the zip depending on how much range of motion you need. If you're in a colder climate you could go for the down filled, I can't even imagine how warm that one is The thinner ones are also AWESOME for keeping your breeches clean at shows. They're a bit pricey but absolutely worth every penny and they last forever.

SSG makes ceramic glove liners that are fantastic!! I wear these under my SSG Winter Ranchers while doing barnwork or the 10 Belows for riding.

http://horse.bigdweb.com/search?p=R&...core&view=grid

I also like these ear muffs which attach directly to your riding helmet

http://horse.bigdweb.com/search?p=R&...core&view=grid

Modern day lined ski pants by Free Country, they don't even need anything underneath.
    "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds." Mr. G

How do those skirts work?

I also like a quarter sheet that you wrap around you and your horse, so that it covers your legs and velcros in front of you, as opposed to the ones that go under the saddle.

And riding mittens, like the SSG leather ones.

That all being said, it is still very cold here and I don't think I'll be riding again until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    How do those skirts work?

I also like a quarter sheet that you wrap around you and your horse, so that it covers your legs and velcros in front of you, as opposed to the ones that go under the saddle.

And riding mittens, like the SSG leather ones.

That all being said, it is still very cold here and I don't think I'll be riding again until Monday.
    I wear the skirt while I'm grooming, tacking up, and doing barn work. I swap to a quarter sheet like you mentiones when I get on to ride. The skirts don't really work when you're in the saddle but they're fan-freakin-tastic for all other chores