The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am not suggesting the owner bring in gravel and am certainly not suggesting you just turn and burn on the trim!

But here is the reality-if the correct environment can't happen (in which case it can't in most cases-that is the sad reailty)...then trimming this foot for a different environment is not the correct answer.

Look I am not going to debate you but I will offer a little 'bet' that will be settled when the horse turns about 5 yo.

If things continue as they are-flares keep showing up and getting trimmed...take rads in a couple of years and I have a funny feeling they will reveal a thin soled horse that will need shoes to be sound.

Nothing bad about you or the owner or the owner of the barn...again that is the reality of horse ownership...but better to be real and equipped.

Freebird you mentioned walking off the flares-BINGO....there is your answer.

Take your pony for a handwalk over any terrain at LEAST 20 minutes starting and building to 3-5 miles a day.

This is about what it takes to allow a horse some chance of stabilizing his metabolism...turnout won't work. It has to be exercise in the form of hand-walking, riding, something.

Those daily walks will rev that metabolism and allow more forgiveness in the diet.

Those daily walks will help the flares majickally go away. Or improve.

If you do this...3-5 miles 5-6 days a week, it is your very best protection against thinning soles and all the evils I mentioned above.

LMH, you are welcome to come down on Saturday to see for yourself. The filly has no cresty neck, and right now is at a very good weight, but she is always kept on a low starch diet.

I have no doubt she could be that way.

The filly I had was insanely metabolic-no cresty neck and lean.

I may take you up on that offer. I promise not to bite.

I'm not skeered. . I'm making Chicken Taco soup too.

You must be a glutton for punishment! Invite me and bait me with food?

Did Chocomare tell you I was easy that way?

You won't need to be skeered because Choco will give you all disclaimers regarding my direct nature.

I'm in the exact same boat - my amazing trimmer the other day handed me her "worn out" rasp and said I could have it! Aren't trimmers amazing? Worn out or not, it's still MILES better than the one I had from the cheap horse tack store. I actually managed to cut myself badly by touching it without gloves. Razor sharp and absolutely amazing, I'm never buying another cheap rasp as long as I live.
    The brand is Save Edge, I can't seem to find any online ordering options from them but BOY am I in love!

Quote Originally Posted by ecrklaveness View Post
    . . . I can't seem to find any online ordering options from them but BOY am I in love!
    Here ya go . . .
    http://www.centaurforge.com/Rasps-Ra.../products/375/

1 members found this post helpful.

I do some rasping between trims also, I don't think there is anything inherently evil about or indicative of health issues . If my farrier hadn't told me to do, I wouldn't have.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Awesome. Thanks very much! I'll be sure to bookmark that link for when I do need a new one.
    Have a great day

Also like the folks over at www.wellshod.com - Good prices, fast shipping.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ecrklaveness View Post
    The brand is Save Edge, I can't seem to find any online ordering options from them but BOY am I in love!
    That's what I use, too! My farrier had a mini hoof summit over the summer, and the Save Edge people gave him some rasps to hand out.. I've been in love ever since! And you can send your used rasps back for resharpening. Any brand can be sent back, non-Save Edge brand are a bit more expensive, but it's still much cheaper than buying a new rasp. A couple farriers said the resharpened rasps are sharper than new ones. They can be resharpened a few times, and I think Save Edge marks rasps that are on their last sharpening.

Ditto WellShod.com for supplies!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

man, I've sliced my fingers open before - well, thankfully only once, I learned my lesson after the first time - I'd just bought a brand new rasp and didn't have a cover for it...when I was cleaning out one of the barn lockers and grabbed it wrong......SLICE. youch. I went inside that night and ordered a leather rasp sleeve. I'm still really careful/wary when I use it now though b/c I know the damage the darn thing can do!!!! Gotta love it for in-between-trims though for the horses!!

Add me to the list of farrier gave rasp, and bloody hands Only he gave me new ones...they can really slice. I do my own minis (after training) ; would like to find some small nippers that are not $200...

I've been trimming my own for about 2 years now. Add me to the list of bloody knuckles when I first started!

At first, I was so afraid to take too much off that I was doing the horses every 3 weeks. Now I have more experience and I do them about every 6 weeks. I'll be honest, I HATE doing it. It's a sweaty, back breaking job. I give all the farriers out there a lot of credit. But for now it saves me money so I will continue.