The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink All hail the great rasp!!....I think I am in love!!!

With my rasp that is. The last time she trimmed for me, Chocomare gave me her old rasp and told me "Use it, you know what to do.". I took it, nodding my head, all while thinking, "Yeah, right!!". But my COTH Giveaway has really struggled with some White line separation and Thrush, and while Chocomare has her feet looking awesome, we knew what she needs is very frequent trims. So, I got the rasp out, thinking that if I can cut my 2 year old daughter's nails, then surely I can file a few rough edges down. Now, I don't even own a hoof stand...yet...so I am far from "firing" Chocomare, but I gotta say, that using that rasp has made a huge difference, and....it's easy!! All I do is, every few days - on the two that aren't ridden - I pick their hooves, and looking at them from the heel forward, I file any spot that sticks up, or is wearing unevenly. Then I go around the edges to sort of bevel the edges - I say sort of, because this this hard to really do, without a hoofstand. Then I scrub their feet with a mix of Listerine, Vinegar, and Betadine. That's it. No more deep sulcus thrush. White line separation is growing out, filly is sound, and even after all the rain we've had, their feet have hardly chipped.

I'm not tooting my own horn here, its not rocket science. But I did want to toot the horns of my rasp, and my trimmer.
    Last edited by Freebird!; Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.

XXOO my precious friend. If I didn't have full faith and confidence in you, that rasp would never have left my bag o'tricks
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Sooner or later you're going to run that rasp over you knuckles and christen it with your own blood. You may as well get the initiation ceremony out of the way.

13 members found this post helpful.

LOL - hence why, when I handed it over, I firmly said "WEAR GLOVES."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

2 members found this post helpful.

ha! An initiation ceremony! I like that!

I may be alone, but I hate wearing gloves when I rasp. Even when it's cold. And I don't like those silly handles either.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay, initiate the gloves AND your knuckles at the same time! (and no "later" about it!)
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

BuddyRoo my father would like you. He says gloves are for amateurs.

I wear gloves absolutely every single time I work on my horse. In the past I have skipped gloves when I thought I would just be doing a few quick swipes with the hoof knife or rasp and BAM hand is bleeding.

Fivesocks, I think gloves are pretty smart. I just feel like it's too much "stuff" between me and the tool. I'm apparently not good enough to do it with gloves on.

My rasped hand accidents have mostly occurred when I was digging through a bag or box of tools. I actually had to stop at a liquor store once (closest business, and I knew the owner) to get bandaids because I had thrashed my hand after setting new rasps on my the passenger seat, forgotten, and dug threw looking for gum on the way to the barn. Bled like a stuck hog. Car looked like a crime scene.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    ha! An initiation ceremony! I like that!

I may be alone, but I hate wearing gloves when I rasp. Even when it's cold. And I don't like those silly handles either.
    I don't like those handles either.... I put vet wrap on just about everything... LOL. And I find a pony rasp works well for my smaller woman hands..
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

doublestable, if you have small hands, or damaged ones like me (2 surgeries on my right) you might also be interested in a different kind of nipper. I use these race nippers. Much easier for me to handle. http://www.centaurforge.com/GE-14-Ra...ctinfo/14GERT/

Sorry to sidetrack.

I can't wear gloves, either. Much as I hate removing chunks of flesh, I'd rather do that periodically than put up with gloves. But it's okay, a friend got me a first aid kit complete with Disney Princess Band-Aids after seeing me bandage a finger with a napkin and duct tape . I do use handles, mostly to protect the horse in case they're being stupid.

Freebird, what kind of rasp is it?
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Congrats on the rasp but a vital sidenote-

If your horse needs frequent trims then you have so pretty big issues that should be addressed...especially when you mention thrush, etc.

A foot that is being trimmed every few days is a symptom of a bigger issue...

I don't "trim" her every few days - I just keep her even. It's something that takes a minute or two at the most. She just tends to flare badly, if left unchecked. Keeping her nice and even, has really helped with the thrush, since the frog now gets to do it's God given job.

She's kept in a pasture with no rocks, and right now everything is still soft, plus she doesn't get ridden - she's only 3, and needs to grow up. Walking her up and down the road would probably have the same effect on her, but I enjoy, and need the practice.

Flares if left unchecked.

I repeat myself.

These are signs of issues that should be addressed. The trim is not addressing the issue.

They are not "unchecked." Freebird lives an hour from me. I just cannot get down there every 3 weeks for this pony that needs those feets coaxed back at regular intervals. For a little horse, she flares at the quarters like a draft horse. Very very odd feet (methinks she was greatly neglected in the hoof department from wee foal on until Freebird got her).

So in between my visits, Freebird is now able to "address the issue" as it comes up.

EDITED TO ADD: You would be welcome to accompany me this Saturday to see her for yourself. Another pair of eyeballs / hands would come in handy and, perhaps, you can offer something towards helping this cute pony.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am not questioning how you are addressing the flares regarding your trim! Don't think that.

I am just saying that if a horse is doing that it is an indication of an underlying issue. Once that issue is resolved, the flares will not need to be handled that often.

This is a young horse with an entire future-I would just hate for Freebird to have to fight the aftermath of low grade metabolic issues for the rest of the horses life.

A healthy horse that is without shoes should not have to have treatment for thrush, constant flaring, etc.

A healthy young horse does not need to be made 'even' every few days or even weeks.

THIS is the huge boat most trimmers keep missing.

I have experienced this over and over and over....when the horse is functioning 'in balance' the feet remain 'in balance.'

Choco please don't think I am trying to step on your toes-this is such a big deal and if more trimmers would grasp this ever so not sexy idea, it would make lives for owners and horses so much better.

Of course it would do some damage to trimmer income.

You are absolutely correct. And her "helping" in between is but one part of the Whole "Addressing" Process with Ember Pony--to keep those feet in proper balance, when necessary, so that they function properly. Her diet has been addressed, along with the metabolic issues. I listened to you AND learned from owning a metabolic horse for 10 years.

And since this process was started, there has been MUCH improvement. The healing has begun and we, as a team, are on top of it.

Let me take a chance at creating a trainwreck and explain in very lay terms that are not peer reviewed, scientifically accepted with a pool of data large enough to satisfy most-but worth considering.

Every time that horse flares is flaring or has a flare that is just being prettied up on the outside, it is creating an environment that is allowing that foot to sink lower and lower in the capsule.

A trimmer comes along and 'addresses the flare' but does nothing to find the cause...metabolic issues or biomechanical issues being the two biggest.

If the horse is built or ridden downhill, the toes will run forward-if you just back them up without fixing the cause you are just putting the horse on a smaller footprint.

Now the trimmer leaves and the reason is still there-rinse and repeat.

The cause MUST be addressed or he is just getting closer to the ground on a foot that looks tidy and makes pretty pictures.

A healthy foot in a healthy 'environment' will not flare (I am not talking about limb deviations here-and with those you STILL want to think hard before removing a flare that is creating limb support). If it is, you need to look for the reason.

The reason is going to be food created, man created or conformationally created.

Maybe that helps and will give food for thought.

If not...well happy trimming!

When you find the cause and fix it, the flare will go away on its own.

I am not trying to be rude Choco-and you know me enough to know I am direct.

If you have owned metabolic horses for this long and have not had this result, then you are still chasing metabolic issues (or permanent damage from those issues in which case a flare may be needed for some reason we can't see).

The feet ARE functioning properly for where the horse is at that time.

Fix the cause and the flare will go away. Fix the cause and the foot will function without any need for trimming.

And you are correct! The environment is not ideal... but it is what it is and she has to work with what she has, just like we all do. Freebird cannot ask her dear neighbor where the ponies reside to remove all the grass and install gravel & rocks. So Ember has a grazing muzzle and is very limited in her diet to reduce as much sugar & starch as humanly possible.

When I trim, I don't just zip around the hooves, take my $$$ and depart. That's not why I started doing it. The owner is educated, information is shared, diet is addressed, environment is addressed. If someone is just looking for a trimmer to wham-bam and depart, that's not me and I won't work with them.

If they're open to learning about diet, environment, positive changes that they can do within their personal parameters to improve those items, then we are on board together.