The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle That Fits Horse Like a Circuit

I am on a saddle search for my new horse and we have no saddle fitters in our area, so I'm on the ship and try method. I've tried several and the one that seems to fit her the best so far is a Circuit. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. My favorite saddle is a Black Country Tex Eventer, which doesn't fit new horse.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Try a Bevel. Either a BZ Natural (Eventing/Jumper) or the Natural (Hunter). The Natural comes in flat or deep seat varity.

I tried both on my horse while saddle shopping. I thought they are very simular.

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyinAL View Post
    I am on a saddle search for my new horse and we have no saddle fitters in our area, so I'm on the ship and try method. I've tried several and the one that seems to fit her the best so far is a Circuit. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. My favorite saddle is a Black Country Tex Eventer, which doesn't fit new horse.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Kate Wilson of Dutchess Bridle and Saddle sends tracing kits so that you can trace your own horse then send it to her for examination

Without seeing the horse, or at least a template and photos, it's not really possible to make recommendations. If you don't have a fitter in your area, you can take the template and photos and send them to someone who knows how to do long-distance fitting. Kate Wilson in one person who could help; you could also contact Ann Forrest at Equestrian Imports, Annette Gavin at Hastilow USA or Brita Rizzi at Dynamic Saddle Fitting.

If you posted pictures, we could give you a better idea of what might work. Also, contact any of the saddle fitters that you like, that will do online fittings. Good luck, saddle shopping can mean you end up spending too much money at the liquor store, lol!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I am working with Trumbull Mountain, who I have worked with in the past and we've got some leads on saddles.

The problem is I'm only looking to spend around $1500 so I'm looking for used. Shipping costs can eat up the budget quickly!

I was hoping someone might have a quick fix for me. I've had this new horse since November with no saddle, so I'm feeling a little like a kid on Christmas morning with a new toy that didn't come with batteries! The positive side is that my bareback riding is improving tremendously.

Thank you for all the advice so far!

Not exactly related, but I love my elderly Beval Natural it's a tad small for me, beat up, and circa '96, but it sure puts me in a nice position!

Where in AL are you?

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Where in AL are you?
    Mobile

Ok, nevermind. My saddle fitter travels, but not that far, I don't think.

Darcy,
    The saddle we discussed should finally be on its way!