The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thank You!!! Re GM Clinic.

Just a quick thank you to those who offered advice about the GM hunter clinic here in NZ.
    I am so pleased to report it went well, particularly well considering that the horse is a 4 yr old and never been in an indoor/jumped off his property/been involved in a situation like a clinic before. Also Im a Brit, so not educated in the hunter style of jumping (Ps Thank you Amazon, Hunter Seat Equitation arrived this week!)and had only ridden the horse twice before.

I watched the jumper clinic the day before and was disappointed in the lack of spectators and by the riders seemingly not concentrating on the commands issued, but duly took notes and watched 2 two hour sessions.

The owner and myself were a little worried as we had signed up for a green horse group and I was the only sign up!! So the organiser had put me in with the pony (!!!!!) group. So sad that more people didnt sign up. In the end there was another green horse today and 3 kids (12-14) on 14hh ish ponies so I didnt feel too awkward.

My horse was great, so terribly green and wobbly and the world was falling on his head BUT by the end I could really ride him and he had confidence in me. I thanked GM at the end and he said we had made great progress and as I led the horse out of the arena some spectators who had participated in earlier sessions stopped to say what a great ride I had given the horse.

I do not have faith in my own ability sometimes but I am allowing myself a cup of tea and a smug little pat on the back.

Thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate it.
    Im from England- Don't bite!

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm so jealous!! You should give yourself a pat on the back, sounds like you had a great time and a wonderful learning experience.

Doesn't get much better than the comment you got from GM, good for you!!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, you very much earned that pat on the back! Good for you! There's a wealth of learning in those clinics...it is sad that it wasn't more heavily attended.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by prittstick View Post
    I watched the jumper clinic the day before and was disappointed in the lack of spectators and by the riders seemingly not concentrating on the commands issued, but duly took notes and watched 2 two hour sessions.
    That is not a uniquely American problem for somebody trying to seriously teach riders anywhere. Auditing is cheap to free if you go with a participant or are one... yet...guess everybody knows better and feels they do not need help

So now you read his book and take that knowledge with you for every ride.

You might also find Anna Jane White Mullins book on Amazon, one called Winning has quite a few challenging flatwork excercises. I know, people poo poo Eq but it's simply effective riding to produce correct reults and any of those excercises trasnlate to improved performance in any discipline.

And thanks for coming back on to update us
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Good for you! I'd be absolutely terrified riding in a GM clinic & like you have very little faith in my own abilities. I think it is partly because I've never had trainers who are complimentary so every time I get paid a compliment (this has happened more at my new barn in the past week than in my entire riding career) about my riding its like "whoa where did THAT come from?!"

I wish more emphasis was placed on equitation in the UK - I don't know much about NZ but get the feeling its more similar to the UK than US. I was a WS for a well known riding centre & used to help out at their jumping competitions. Watching some of those kids ride terrified me....my Eq is admittedly not fantastic, but I like to think I'm at least safe.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My understanding is that hunter classes are popular in NZ, they're called show hunter here as an American lady brought the idea over. Jen Hamilton teaches quite a lot over here and there was definitely more of an interest in the hunter day judging by the aura of the spectators and the way the participants hung to his every word.
    Yes in England aside from a few style classes, in pony club and riding club, and also an eventing based competition based on style we don't do any judging on equitation. I wonder if because we have such a strong pony upbringing if that is why we often look to ride by the skin of our teeth?! It's my understanding your pony jumpers don't go too high? And that your pony hunters are incredibly mannerly? Remember, Thelwell had to get his inspiration from somewhere and all those cartoons he drew? Those are what we deal with at home to ride! Hellcreatures!!! You cant really look good trying to persuade a new forest pony to jump when he doesn't wish to!

I'm going to attempt to write up my notes and put it on the horse and hound forum, will link my post back here. Must try and get a blog I think.

Thank you for the book suggestion, hopefully it will ship to this little island nice and speedily!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by prittstick View Post
    My understanding is that hunter classes are popular in NZ, they're called show hunter here as an American lady brought the idea over. Jen Hamilton teaches quite a lot over here and there was definitely more of an interest in the hunter day judging by the aura of the spectators and the way the participants hung to his every word.
    Yes in England aside from a few style classes, in pony club and riding club, and also an eventing based competition based on style we don't do any judging on equitation. I wonder if because we have such a strong pony upbringing if that is why we often look to ride by the skin of our teeth?! It's my understanding your pony jumpers don't go too high? And that your pony hunters are incredibly mannerly? Remember, Thelwell had to get his inspiration from somewhere and all those cartoons he drew? Those are what we deal with at home to ride! Hellcreatures!!! You cant really look good trying to persuade a new forest pony to jump when he doesn't wish to!

I'm going to attempt to write up my notes and put it on the horse and hound forum, will link my post back here. Must try and get a blog I think.

Thank you for the book suggestion, hopefully it will ship to this little island nice and speedily!
    So are you currently in the UK or NZ? I'm confused, LOL.

As for American pony jumpers, they don't really exist (you get jumper shows but no classes specifically for ponies, at least in recognized competition) as such and are nothing like what you get in the UK and Europe. Pony hunters are for the most part very "mannerly" (as far as I know at least, I never got to ride the mannerly ones!).

I love the Thelwell analogy & think you are definitely right there! Though I learned to ride in America, I had a British instructor and definitely rode Thelwell type ponies/horses with the exception of one summer spent at the Yorkshire Riding Centre. There for the first time in my life I got to ride horses who would almost guaranteed jump the jump if pointed at it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Im from the UK and arrived in NZ on a year visa in September so am rather uprooted!