The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Lusoluv View Post
    Tom, I am very tempted to buy some tools, but you know the old saying, "Too many monkeys with razorblades"! But I am trying to educate myself so I don't sound like I played around on the internet one day and then try to tell my Journeyman Farrier how to do his job. I know he is trying very hard to help my horse, is not pushing me to shoes or wanting me to worry....but that's my nature.
    Do you really think you can educate yourself about the hoof by reading stuff on the Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    OP when you have a moment ask the credentials of those offering advice.
    I'm a PADI certified Open Water Diver.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Do you really think you can educate yourself about the hoof by reading stuff on the Internet?
    Considering 2 certified trimmers have contacted me and given very helpful advice and pointed me towards other top online (and offline) sources, yes I've already gotten much help from the internet. Thanks anyway...

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

..... yes I've already gotten much help from the internet. Thanks anyway...
    watch the whole clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I

Wow - so you guys equate the COTH forum with that commercial, yet you personally make thousands of posts yourself? So you're the "French guy".

I don't post here that much, but figured it was a matter of time before one of my topics takes the turn I've seen in others. Trying to educate myself and get told "don't be naive". Nice! I'll stick to TOF where people are at least polite.

I'm done here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow - so you guys equate the COTH forum with that commercial, yet you personally make thousands of posts yourself? . . .
    I post arguments that I can substantiate with logic, physics, and what I have tested that others can test themselves and get the same results.

There is a difference between that and making an argument by deferring to an "authority." In effect, it means you cannot substantiate your argument.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow - so you guys equate the COTH forum with that commercial, yet you personally make thousands of posts yourself? So you're the "French guy".

I don't post here that much, but figured it was a matter of time before one of my topics takes the turn I've seen in others. Trying to educate myself and get told "don't be naive". Nice! I'll stick to TOF where people are at least polite.

I'm done here.
    Lusoluv the ignore feature is your friend.

1 members found this post helpful.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I'm done here.
    Did you perhaps miss class the days that critical analysis and thinking were taught?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    For the remaining <1%, there may be an anatomical reason you have a persistent crack in the toe - dead center, never goes away. If the horse has a very pronounced and deep crena marginalis, then the laminar connection will always be weak in this area and there will always be an increasing tendency for the crack to return as the horse ages.
    I know the OP said she was done on this thread, but can you explain what a crena marginalis is (or direct me to a picture somewhere?)

Just curious; I have not heard that term before.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I know the OP said she was done on this thread, but can you explain what a crena marginalis is (or direct me to a picture somewhere?)

Thanks!
    http://www.appliedequinepodiatry.org...rn_article.pdf

Oner perspective

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post

Very interesting read - thanks.

I have a horse with this condition for the last six years I have owned him. I always just felt it was caused by previous owner using toe clips which would be "pressure" and the fact he is large; "more pressure". But the article indicates toe clips being a far stretch.. but it's still pressure.

This is an area of study that I would be interested to see if there is much more understanding or research... it's an issue that seems hard to resolve and affects many horses.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post

Thanks!
    Also referred to as the dorsal notch in the third phalanx.

Some images available here -

http://www.equipodiatry.com/wldupdt.htm