I'm new here and also a rather newbie breeder. My 10 year old broodmare developed a snotty nose and cough about 8 days ago. She never had a fever, never went off feed and remained bright and active. She was treated with SMZ (per vet) for 7 days (finished today) and the snot cleared up 2 days after starting treatment - the cough stopped by the 5th day. Don't know what the cause of the respiratory symptoms was but I'm now very concerned about the possibility of her aborting. Hoping any of you seasoned breeders can ease my worries and share any similar experience and hopefully tell me that your mares carried to term despite mild illness during pregnancy.
As was asked - was she vaccinated? We do Flu/Rhino in the fall and then the mare should have Pneumabort shots at 5/7/9 months into the pregnancy. Then 30-60 days prior to her foaling date she should have her EWT; flue rhino, Botulism, Potomac(in some areas) and WNV.
Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
"Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"
Thanks for your replies! Yes, she's up to date on all vaccines. This is her 2nd pregnancy and we do pneumabort @5/7/9 months. She was due for her 7 month vaccine this week but we decided to postpone another week since she'd been sick....
You would need to do a PCR swap to determine what type rhino/herpes virus she may be shedding (if at all). That costs about $300. EHV 2 and 5 are very common in foals and broodmares and can produce snotty nose, coughs etc.. EHV-1 (non-neuro) is the baddy that can cause abortion. Unless she was exposed to it, I would not worry. Do the pneumabort vacs as directed by your vet and she should be fine. There seems to be alot of these symptoms going around this year even with diligent vaccination protocal.
Thanks so much! If it were EHV-1 baddy is there anything that could be done to reduce the chances of abortion? If not, then I might worry less remaining blissfully ignorant..
Unfortunately vet didn't draw blood so don't know if infection was viral or bacterial, although she did respond pretty quickly to antibiotics which would make me think it was more bacterial. Do you know how long symptoms typically persist with respiratory EHV-1?
best advice is to wait and see how it plays out--not every upper respiratory problem is problematic for an abortion. What did your breeding vet advise? Better to listen to him/her than fish for opinions on this site. And all those vaccinations are not necessary--depends on where you live--again seek your local equine vet's advice about what the area requirements are as to vaccinations. I know--this is America--and we overvaccinate and overworm--but that doesn't mean that such a route is the best one. And it sure is not an economical one.
Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments