The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are We Returning To The Wild West Of Veterinary Medicine?

Very interesting and I haven't finished reading yet. Seems that some of the things commonly used by MANY, MANY folks on this board are questionable...

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...inary-medicine

Hum, I am still just "old school". I have some bute in my vet kit, and banamine paste, for emergencies, and thats it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bute, banamine, MSM gel, Sore No More poultice. That's all I got. Some of the concoctions I'm reading baffle me.

2 members found this post helpful.

You're not the only one!

I asked my vet what these "Blue Pop-Rocks" are that everyone talks about on here, and she'd never heard of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    You're not the only one!

I asked my vet what these "Blue Pop-Rocks" are that everyone talks about on here, and she'd never heard of it!
    Enteric coated omeprazole. A feed through ulcerguard.

It's an interesting read. I have used some of the hyalauronic products with great success and no issues, but used them conservatively compared to some. And not in combination with a whole bunch of other stuff, multiple nsaids and/or the concoction du jour full of unknown ingredients...that might not test but might be anything but safe given long term or in combination.

In light of recent events including the compounding pharmacy tragedy that killed people, it is something to seriously explore with your vet. ASK YOUR TRAINER exactly what your horse is getting and where it comes from.

And they better come up with something better then "Of course it's safe, legal, it won't test, everybody else uses it and/or you can't win without it".
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I think it's an interesting article, and worth reading. However, I think the title is a smidge sensationalistic.

I think it is also worth noting that Pentosan and PentAussie are not the same. Pentosan is pentosan polysulfate sodium. No glucosamine. It is used to treat OA in dogs, and marketed as Elmiron to treat interstitial cystitis in humans. It's not exactly an unknown commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    I think it's an interesting article, and worth reading. However, I think the title is a smidge sensationalistic.
    Definitely, the article opens up a needed discussion and is worth reading. But, in addition to the title being a bit sensationalistic, the last part reads a bit like a mouthpiece for drug companies and the FDA.

Vets seem to be getting a lot of bad press recently. The equine vets I've known over the years are my heroes. They do difficult and often thankless work for a lot less money than they could make doing something else, like being a small animal vet or working for a drug company. They're the ones caring for a horse with colic on Christmas Eve, or treating a broodmare in distress late at night after a long and tiring day. I haven't met one who didn't genuinely love the animals.
    Last edited by TemJeito; Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typos

6 members found this post helpful.

The majority of vets are wonderful but...

They got some money grubbing Dr Feelgoods out there with iffy reputations from coast to coast. Yet they stay in business even as show vets and funnel the questionable concoctions as well as controlled substances to whoever asks and has cash to pay.

That has to stop.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

4 members found this post helpful.

I thought the whole thing sounded as if it had been written by a drug company.

Has any one carefully read the advertising done by some purveyors of nutraceuticals? And they have built a major company with these products.

Great copy!!! Makes the snake oil salesmen look like pikers.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

This article reads to me a lot like the story news did about not buying prescription drugs from Canada because they aren't safe or held to the same standard. Which btw is not true. FDA approval is excessively expensive and can often be just a matter of logistics. My father does this for a living. Do I think you should use non approved drugs? No however they are making it sound like dark alleys and black market kidneys. Tildren is not FDA approved yet we use it all the time but no one is saying that is unethical because there is not an approved form of of it. Food for thought.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Have not read the linked article, but will. Just a word re: FDA. After reading "The World According to Monsanto", I wouldn't trust those folks to approve sunlight. No agency that's run by the people they're supposed to be regulating has my vote of confidence.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Tildren is approved as a anti-osteoporosis infusion (not under that explicit name). Vets are experimenting with the drug to see what it does in horses. And, yes, there are ethical issues. As I have noted time and time again, new funky diseases are cropping up as the result of using bisphosphonates, e.g. Tildren, Fosamax, Boniva.

Again, the "drugs" discussed are NOT drugs by legal definition. They are "devices" that vets are using as drugs. Because they never were approved as drugs, there is no FDA oversight as the FDA does not approve veterinary devices.

And it is back alley because, as noted by several prominent vets, the use of these as drugs violate veterinary ethics.

As someone once said "Always question your vet, remember, someone had to graduate at the bottom of the class." Lol
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm firmly in the less is more camp. Drugs have side effects. Sometimes those side effects are minor, sometimes they are not.

I have a friend who had been on depo provera while we were in college together. I was shocked when she told me she had a bone scan which showed her bones (at about 27 years of age) looked like an old ladies. Depo is known to cause bone density issues - had she known those risks she would have not taken it.

I often wonder what issues were are causing with the overzealous use of medications. Certainly a worthy discussion to have with your vet if you're contemplating using these meds.