The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No problem, I appreciate the input.

For those with Haflingers - what brand of saddle works well? I have a Zaldi that is fairly wide, but it does not fit my new boy at all. Dang it - I hate saddle shopping - and re-selling. Anyway - are there particular brands that seem to work best? I'm thinking of trying a Duett - has anyone used them? I tried them on my previous horse & liked them, but the Zaldi fell in my lap at a much better price . Thanks!

ETA - either a dressage or all purpose. If I end up showing, it'll be very low level.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyB59 View Post
    For those with Haflingers - what brand of saddle works well? I have a Zaldi that is fairly wide, but it does not fit my new boy at all. Dang it - I hate saddle shopping - and re-selling. Anyway - are there particular brands that seem to work best? I'm thinking of trying a Duett - has anyone used them? I tried them on my previous horse & liked them, but the Zaldi fell in my lap at a much better price . Thanks!

ETA - either a dressage or all purpose. If I end up showing, it'll be very low level.
    Doesn't the Zaldi have an adjustable tree & wool flocked panels?
    unless the saddle is too long for your Haflinger's back, I'd have a saddle fitter in to see what might be done.

For Duett saddles, why not call them, Nancy is a pretty easy to talk with

You know, I'm not sure - Might be worth looking into. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CindyB59 View Post
    Hi CindyB59, A couple of friends of mine had Duet saddles and loved them. I tried one and liked it so much that if I had had the money at the time, I would have bought one. My trainer has a barnful of Haflingers and said that Bates Isabel has an adjustable gullet and fits very well, as do Country Dressage saddles in wide or extra wide, depending on the horse. She said that Bates Isabel came out with a new model in 2012, but if you can find a 2011 saddle it should be less expensive and fit a Haflinger very well (generally speaking). Her horses are very similar to the ones posted in this thread. In fact, she purchased Reahna of Lilac Farms and Rosina of New Horizons from me. :-) Good luck!
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

I have a Thornhill Danube in a wide for my Haflinger cross and I really love this saddle. It's made for a wide, short, flat back and has half points which I've been told means it can sit a bit further forward while still offering shoulder freedom. Cordia Pearson who is a Society of Master Saddlers saddler and is in my area really likes them for wide short backs and I love how it fits me as well!
    My little girl, Katai - 13.3 Haflinger/?
    and her blog

I recommend the Duett saddles as well. I ride in the Fidelio model...super comfy and fits my broad-shouldered Haflinger nicely. They have hoop trees, which I guess means they're "rounder" than a saddle with a standard tree.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone. I am having a Duett fitter come out today & try them. She only has one with her that might work, but will do the tracings that I can send to Nancy & trial something. Considering the Largo or the Fidelio. I tried them 4-5 yrs ago & remember loving the Fidelio (of course, since it's the most $$) .