The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lightweight dressage coat

I think I'm in the market for a new dressage coat this season. I have a washable Pikeur Diana, but I feel like I've been wrapped in a polythene sheet wearing it in the heat of summer.

Any recommendations, please?

I'm looking for a traditional frock-style, 4 button, center back vent, probably black, but would entertain a colored collar, very lightweight breathable material.

Pikeur Ghia. It's a softshell, v lightweight & breathable & really not much hotter in the summer than riding in a polo shirt. I've also ridden in it in light rain & water just beads off of it. The styling meets the requirements you described. It's very expensive but can be bought much more inexpensively online from Europe. And it's really worth it! In my experience, the sizing is the same as the Diana.

Thanks! I will have to look that one up... going to England next month

Check into the new FITS coat. Itis specifically designed to combat heat. It has mesh panels in the sides!

Was also looking at the Rompf Featherlite. Any opinions?

Default Arista

I bought an Arista which is lovely. I have the navy. It is a micro fiber, 4 silver buttons (except the really snap and just look look buttons), double vent back and matching velvet on collar and pockets. It is unlined and is very flattering. I have the tall in medium and the sleeves are actually long enough. Plus it is machine washable and costs around $280.00. It also comes in black. Not alot of stores carry Arista, though I don't know why. I have not worn my show coat yet, but I also have their fitted zip-up clinic jacket in the same fabric and it is stunning. Worth the look even though you want a single vent.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Second vote for Arista Coat. Love mine. At Wits End mobile Tack store sells them at horse shows in Southeast.

Wits End is where mine came from! I searched all over for a medium tall in navy after trying on a black one at Dressage At Devon. I contacted the owner of Arista and she found the only one available at the end of last year at Wits End.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I have the Arista clinic jacket... hadn't thought about them for this. Is the sizing the same?

atr, I think the clinic jacket runs a tad smaller. Hope that helps.

Here is the link to FITS' new dressage coat with all the mesh panels that arlosmine recommended checking out.

http://www.fitsriding.com/coats_A800_whitney.php

I just ordered the new FITS jacket and will try it out at a show in Central Florida the first weekend in May so that should be a good test to see if it really is cooler.

I don't know if you can get them in the States, but I have a Spooks jacket which I think is just beautiful, and it's definitely great in the heat. I've ridden in it in competitions in the middle of Australian summers, and felt relatively cool considering (it's difficult to honestly feel cool in the middle of summer, i guess!)

http://www.spooksriding.com.au/index...product_id=178

Another that I have my eye on, and would LOVE to snap up if I could ever find another stockist, is a Tattini jacket. BEAUTIFUL fit, lightweight, very stylish. I wish I'd snapped it up when I first saw it as I'm yet to find anywhere that stocks this brand here. Comes in navy or black with trim in a variety of colours (the navy with red trim is gorgeous)
    http://tattiniriding.co.uk/item/159

1 members found this post helpful.