The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Rescued "Hanoverian" how to find out who he is?

I acquired this horse in May of last year. He was severely foundered 2 years before I got him. He must have a show record and papers etc but the were all buried when he foundered to "get rid of him". Long story short, he is 16 years old, no brands, tattoos or anything of the sort. He looks Hanoverian and moves like one. What are the chances of sending off hair samples to the NA Hanoverian society to finding his real identity?

He is a super fantastic horse and when I take him off the farm, he acts like an old pro and does his job.

Not likely

Without a brand, there's absolutely no way to tell he's a Hanoverian.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty ignrnt, but thought I'd ask - isn't Hanovarian a breed registry rather than a breed? My horse (oldenburger) has a hanovarian sire who has major tons of selle francais in the dam line.

You could find out (ask the vet to check) if he's microchipped. Otherwise, with no identifying marks...
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Well.. Not what I wanted to hear but, next time the vet is out, I'll have him check if he is chipped. Thanks ya'll

Quote Originally Posted by Be Brave View Post
    I acquired this horse in May of last year. He was severely foundered 2 years before I got him. He must have a show record and papers etc but the were all buried when he foundered to "get rid of him". Long story short, he is 16 years old, no brands, tattoos or anything of the sort. He looks Hanoverian and moves like one. What are the chances of sending off hair samples to the NA Hanoverian society to finding his real identity?

He is a super fantastic horse and when I take him off the farm, he acts like an old pro and does his job.
    COTHers occasionally post threads like "Anyone recognize this horse?, estimated age, color, height, region of country" in the title to focus interest. And post some photos along with helpful details. Good luck with your mystery.

2 members found this post helpful.

If he's chipped (say GOV) you should be able to feel if you thoroughly examine, with your fingers, the left side of his neck from just below the crest down. You should find a little "bump" under the skin. But go all the way down the neck. My GOV mare had hers migrate and is now just above the jugular groove.

You shouldn't need a vet for that. But if he IS, then you'll obviously need to find someone to scan it.

Good luck!

I could never feel my gelding's chip after about a year after I had it inserted. You might check with GOV to find out what type of scanner is needed. I know that my vet's scanner would not pick up my geldings chip.

Check his lip for a tattoo. Lots of horses that look like WBs are OTTBs. I have one in my field right now!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Thanks guys! No tattoo, but I will try and feel for the chip tomorrow. I'll start another thread with more info and pictures of him. I had done some searching through Facebook and had no luck. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    I'm pretty ignrnt, but thought I'd ask - isn't Hanovarian a breed registry rather than a breed? My horse (oldenburger) has a hanovarian sire who has major tons of selle francais in the dam line.

You could find out (ask the vet to check) if he's microchipped. Otherwise, with no identifying marks...
    Hannoverians are a registry in Germany. But in the USA there are all kinds of "breeds" that people claim are warmbloods. So american WBs are called breeds, even though they are crossbreds. Too confusing. (Traks are closest to being a breed of WB)

OP about the only way you can find out whom your horse is descended from, be it a WB or whatever, is if you can find out his registry #. Or if his ancestors have been blood typed as some have been you can find out how much TB and Arab blood he has in him....and as TBs are being done now. Just about every WB who comes over from europe is full of american TB blood, on the paternal side. (e.g., War Relic in my horse's case.)

It doesn't matter who or what your horse is. If he's good, he's good no matter what breed or registry.

Great of you to take on a horse who was discarded. I hope he does well for you.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    ... Just about every WB who comes over from europe is full of american TB blood, on the paternal side. (e.g., War Relic in my horse's case.)
    Can't agree with you.

I just analyzed the pedigrees of four of my Hanoverians. I will list the name of the Thoroughbred, (all sires in all cases) his date of birth, the generation it appears in the pedigree. Only ONE of the 11 TB sires has any American TB blood. The closest TB blood appears in x4, and the youngest TB sire was born in 1966, which was forty-seven years ago.

Sudan 1959 x6
    Alderschild 1943 x7
    Der Loewe 1944 x5 This is the ONLY TB sire that has any American TB blood – and you have to go back to Tracery in 1908
    Black Sky 1966 x6
    Monitor 1939 x7
    Valentino 1950 x4
    Christian de Wet 1901 x8
    Marabou 1936 x6
    Marcio 1947 6x7
    Steinpilz 1950 x6
    Lancelot 1915 x8
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

OP, I commend you for taking in a rescue, and I hope you have many happy years together.

But your comment - "He looks Hanoverian and moves like one" has me wondering. What does a Hanoverian look like, or move like?

I have seen some that are very old-fashioned - heavy in bone, short legged, bulky, with blocky or not so pretty heads, etc., and some that are much lighter in bone, leggier, prettier and more elegant.

And some that move like draft horses, some that move like Quarter Horses, and some that move like super-duper sport horses.

And FWIW - I have also seen plenty of horses from other European registires that also fit both categories.

Also - you cannot send off "hair samples" from any old horse to find out its "identity". You must know at least one parent, so the lab has something to compare the DNA against. And they cannot verify horse breeds like they can dog breeds.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm new to Warmbloods. I'll admit I am going on what the previous owner said about his type and movement. He is large and blocky and stocky but moves quite nicely. Good to know about needing at least one parent. I forgot to check for a microchip today, but I will try for tomorrow. It's not vital that I find out, I just wanted to see what his show records and what he did. He is absolutley perfect and I would be quite content if I found it or not. We are planning to show this summer, so, I guess we can start completely clean slate for the both of us. Thank you for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Brave View Post
    Thanks guys! No tattoo, but I will try and feel for the chip tomorrow. I'll start another thread with more info and pictures of him. I had done some searching through Facebook and had no luck. Thanks!

I would just up date your original post with Pics and more info. There really is no need to start a new one
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Here is a copy/paste of what I have been e-mailing possible connections.:

I am trying to find out some info on a horse. He is approx. 16-18 years old, 16 hands tall and is 2 years post founder. The name he came with is "BRAVE" He was given to me by a friend. She rescued him from savethehorses.org in 2009 or 2010. He is rumored to have come from Rome, Georgia. He passed hands several times to hide where he came from. He acts like he used to event. He is also rumored to be registered Hanoverian. My reason for digging is, he is too nice to not have been a "somebody". I don't want previous owner names, I just want the gelding's real name, and what he used to do. The friend tried to do a little bit of digging but gave up. This horse has made a big impact on my life and has brought great joy to it as well. I understand the want or need for anonymity but, please help me get some closure on this, it means a lot to me.

Add: He has a ton of personality and almost always has his ears back, even when he is being sweet and is happy. He is great with my 4 year-old daughter as a walk around packer.
    http://imgur.com/a/ZF1MX#0

I'm not much help, but wanted to say he's really cute.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I'm not much help, but wanted to say he's really cute.
    Thank you!

Rome? Did you try the college there? Might have had him "donated" to them at some point. They have the riding team.

And is savethehorses in Forsyth County? That is a good place to start also. Cheryl is on coth, isn't that her organization? There are several barns in Forsyth where a warmblood might have been boarded. I think Cheryl is horseinc on coth?????

And there aren't that many vets and farriers in north GA who have rehabbed a foundered WB. He does have the WB rear end.

I'll PM you the name of another good wb book.

He looks good and he's lucky to have you!

I couldn't feel a chip but I did put him to sleep trying to find it. haha! I will send the college an e mail, and follow up on the other leads. Thanks ya'll!