The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Owning vs leasing- broodmare

Is there a benefit over (free) leasing a broodmare vs owning a broodmare (gifted- not purchased)? The mare would then go back to the original owner after the foal is weaned. The broodmare would be the sole responsibility of the breeder (I'm defining breeder as the person who selects the stallion/ arranges breeding/ will own the foal). All expenses would be the responsibility of the breeder. The foal would then belong to the breeder and be registered under the breeder. The mare in question is Welsh if it makes a difference.

I'm thinking that if anything terrible happened to the mare as a result of foaling it would be easier if the mare was in the breeder's name vs a lease.

Would you prefer to own or lease? Why?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

For only one year/foal I'd definitely recommend leasingm if you can find the same quality available for lease as you can for sale.

For multiple years/foals-
    If you own and it comes time to retire her, she's your responsibility. If you're leasing, you can send her back to the owner for her retirement.

If you own and she doesn't produce as well as you'd like, you've got to deal with culling her (selling, free home, etc.) If you're leasing, you can simply not renew the lease.

If you own her and you get out of breeding, what will you do with her? If you're leasing, you simply send her back to the owner.

Honestly leasing sounds more appealing than owning, except in my experience the mares of the quality I desire are hard to find offered for lease.

You deal with "what if anything terrible happens" with insurance and a good contract, agreed upon by both parties.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    For only one year/foal I'd definitely recommend leasingm if you can find the same quality available for lease as you can for sale.

For multiple years/foals-
    If you own and it comes time to retire her, she's your responsibility. If you're leasing, you can send her back to the owner for her retirement.

If you own and she doesn't produce as well as you'd like, you've got to deal with culling her (selling, free home, etc.) If you're leasing, you can simply not renew the lease.

If you own her and you get out of breeding, what will you do with her? If you're leasing, you simply send her back to the owner.

Honestly leasing sounds more appealing than owning, except in my experience the mares of the quality I desire are hard to find offered for lease.

You deal with "what if anything terrible happens" with insurance and a good contract, agreed upon by both parties.
    To clarify... this would be the same mare. An offer of free leasing her till the foal was weaned or changing her ownership ("purchasing" at no cost) till the foal was weaned. In both cases after the foal is weaned it would go back to the original owner. All expenses incurred would be the responsibility of the breeder. It would all be written out in contract and is between two parties that have had a long time friendship and know each others horses/horsemanship well and are local to each other.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I was in this situation many years ago; the breeder who had my mare wanted to buy her for a $1 rather than lease, just in case something bad happened and he had to make quick decisions. We were not in the same area, and I was traveling fairly often for my job, etc
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

The woman who leased my mare keep her insured, and I still would have wanted consulted before big decisions anyway so I would never have allowed anything but a lease on my end. I don't really understand what the benefit would be of transferring ownership until she foals?

I agree. I leased mine for 2 yrs and had the leasee carry insurance. Wouldn't the "real" owner want their name on it instead of the temp?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I would prefer to own the mare, for the reasons you specify.