She is on SMZ's, and has 3 places where abscesses burst on her hock, 2 on the inside and 1 on the outside. Hoping she pulls thru for her foal. Vet is thinking lymphangitis. I dealt with a broodmare that had cellulitis before, but it was never like this.
Unfortunately because of the lack of decent vets in the area I have lost 2 foals from them not being aggressive enough. This current vet is not responsible for those.
I will update, sorry been working a lot and horse chores in this cold just take so much longer.
I had a mare do this luckily when she was not in foal. Please try to get her on something stronger than SMZ's like Baytril or her skin and tissue will start sloughing off. It might not be too safe for the foal, but no mare=no foal!
When my gelding had a bad case of lymphangitis, vet told me to get him moving as much as possible. We hand walked several times/day for maybe 4 days, then he was turned out and still hand walked later in day. He was on some antibiotics stronger than SMZs but not the one mentioned above by EM, which comes with a warning that you do not touch the meds...
Given your (cold) climate, the walking might be tough, but anything you can do in that direction will help.
We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........
I hope the OP's situation is resolving. In cases like this, my first thought is for the injured leg. My second thought is that the opposite limb may founder.
Last time I had to deal with such acute an lameness, I had my farrier out right away. He was able to hold the "good" leg up long enough to squirt in Equathane, so the horse, at least, was standing on a solid platform and not just on the rim of his shoe.
A week later he was able to put a special founder (Sigafoos) shoe on the hoof even though he had not foundered (yet).
He never did have any problem with the opposite limb, but I was still glad I had acted proactively.
Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.
Thanks for the replies. I asked about stronger antibiotics and am waiting for a call back. Forgot to add that her temp has been normal through all of this. I took your advice and put her in my small paddock with my pony, and the ground is nice and flat for her. She is actually walking on the leg, where before she wouldn't even touch the ground with it. I don't think I could haul her to the clinic. MSU is about 2 hours away and she is way too wobbly, I am afraid she would fall in the trailer. Overall she looks and acts like she feels better. She went right over to the round bale and rubbed her entire body on if from chest all the way down to her rump. She is happy to be outside, she is not much of a stall type horse.
Sorry you're going through this. It's hard enough to have an injured or sick horse but it's so much worse when they're in foal. You're worried about the mare, the foal, the drugs being given to the mare how they affect the foal or not...... it's terrible. More jingles being sent your way.
Not a whole lot to update. She is walking on it now, and the swelling is down, but she is still not right. The vet came back out Friday while I was at work. He was suppose to x-ray it again since last time it was so swollen. He didn't bring his x-ray machine, no culture was done.
It has been a bad year for me already. My other mare had her foal this morning and it was still born. He looked healthy, although he was a few weeks early. Calling a vet friend of mine tomorrow to see if she can possibly come out sometime this week.