The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I know where it is, I remembered which barn it is but if she is keeping the horse what difference does it make?
    EXACTLY. But you know what, I wouldn't be the least surprised if the listers have said they've decided to keep the horse just to get this group off of their backs.

Unfortunatly I think many people are seeing SO DARN MANY "I need a home for my horse or he will go to a sale" ads, that the min someone is offering a horse for free...people assume he or she is desparate and will just dump the horse anywhere. That is not always the case. I think it can be easy to forget that just because an ad says free it doesn't mean the horse will be dumped if a home isn't found. It is just so common now because there are so many people who do get desparate. I think it is smart of her to look for a home NOW when she is pregnant, knowing the future financial costs may be too much....as opposed to waiting too long and THEN being in a desparate situation.

That being said I do think it is wonderful that so many people were worried about this old guy and were willing to help.

2 members found this post helpful.

Bacardi, that is not the impression I received from the CL poster with whom I was in direct (and polite) contact with. Your speculation to the contrary is, I think, unfair to those who choose to try to help out. You may not agree with how 'we' comport ourselves in these situations, but I'd rather extend a helping hand than turn a blind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I know where it is, I remembered which barn it is but if she is keeping the horse what difference does it make?
    I myself, would like to know what she is doing to keep an old guy like that looking so nice, she always was keeping him so is a responsible horse owner, and I think such a person would be a good addition to the forum.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini1220 View Post
    That being said I do think it is wonderful that so many people were worried about this old guy and were willing to help.
    Yes. It IS wonderful that so many people are willing to "help". But sometimes, there's no "help" or even "worry" needed - as in this case. That said, it's also AWFUL that so many of these "helpful COTHers" feel the need to disparage the lister. They know absolutely NOTHING of the situation except what appears in the ad, & even though the ad is completely benign, STILL feel the need to paint the lister as some sort of horrible neglectful person. THESE are the COTH posters I find so malignant when these sorts of threads pop up.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Yes. It IS wonderful that so many people are willing to "help". But sometimes, there's no "help" or even "worry" needed - as in this case. That said, it's also AWFUL that so many of these "helpful COTHers" feel the need to disparage the lister. They know absolutely NOTHING of the situation except what appears in the ad, & even though the ad is completely benign, STILL feel the need to paint the lister as some sort of horrible neglectful person. THESE are the COTH posters I find so malignant when these sorts of threads pop up.
    Yeah, there's a difference between "help" and "someone should punch her in the crotch."

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Yeah, there's a difference between "help" and "someone should punch her in the crotch."
    EXACTLY!!! In spades.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Apparently not you.
    I'm with 5 on this. People who list a 31 yoa horse as a giveaway are going to get rid of it. 5 and I and others have Always Funny the mare to show for this.

And probably the owner or whomever listed the horse will now dump him elsewhere, since a lot of us offered to help him out. And now she is embarrassed that she's dumping him. I've seen that happen a lot.

The whole idea is to save a horse if possible, or to euth him if the alternative to saving him is slaughter or starvation.

I'm sure barcard1 has donated a lot of money to save a lot of horses, so she doesn't need to critique us on this.

Which part of "I got pregnant (in our post Roe v. Wade and plenty-o'-birth control world) so my very old horse has to go" looks like someone *not* being utterly self-serving and at the animal's expense?

If the CL lister's sister knows enough to keep a horse looking that nice, she knows what it means to give away a 31-year-old horse. And anyone having kids knows that those little guys will take up plenty of time and money.

Y'all act like this person could not have done otherwise and was struck by something unforeseen and beyond her control. How do you figure?

I don't care but it kind of makes a mockery of folks who are making sacrifices to do the right thing for their old horses.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I'm sure barcard1 has donated a lot of money to save a lot of horses, so she doesn't need to critique us on this.
    Probably a lot more than you. I just don't feel the need to advertise/brag about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Which part of "I got pregnant (in our post Roe v. Wade and plenty-o'-birth control world) so my very old horse has to go" looks like someone *not* being utterly self-serving and at the animal's expense?
    You exemplify just what some people have their hackles up about. Just how do you KNOW anything about her situation other then she is pregnant? She could be married , it could have been planned ..all the dooms day , negative speculation is absurd.

For all we know the girl was pressured by family to find him a home. It certainly wouldn't be the first time people tired to use a baby to manipulate a situation. "Your having a baby, you need to prioritize , you can't do both, you need to get rid of the horses and focus on your family. " Ask me how I know ... and I was happily married when I got that riot act.

I think its great so many were willing to step up for the horse but without direct contact with the owner all the witch trial speculation makes us look like bad actors in The Crucible.

"I speak my own sins; I cannot judge another. "
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    You exemplify just what some people have their hackles up about. Just how do you KNOW anything about her situation other then she is pregnant? She could be married , it could have been planned ..all the dooms day , negative speculation is absurd.

For all we know the girl was pressured by family to find him a home. It certainly wouldn't be the first time people tired to use a baby to manipulate a situation. "Your having a baby, you need to prioritize , you can't do both, you need to get rid of the horses and focus on your family. " Ask me how I know ... and I was happily married when I got that riot act.

I think its great so many were willing to step up for the horse but without direct contact with the owner all the witch trial speculation makes us look like bad actors in The Crucible.

"I speak my own sins; I cannot judge another. "
    Again - THANK YOU!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    WTF??!!

You can't seriously be suggesting that someone abort a pregnancy to keep a horse. It really sounds that way, and that is absolutely effed up. Horses are less important than people. PERIOD.

There are many decisions made in this world "at the animal's expense" simply because animals are not people. Let me repeat that: ANIMALS ARE NOT PEOPLE. I think most of the posters on this thread need to tell that to themselves before they go to bed every night.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    WTF??!!

You can't seriously be suggesting that someone abort a pregnancy to keep a horse. It really sounds that way, and that is absolutely effed up. Horses are less important than people. PERIOD.

There are many decisions made in this world "at the animal's expense" simply because animals are not people. Let me repeat that: ANIMALS ARE NOT PEOPLE. I think most of the posters on this thread need to tell that to themselves before they go to bed every night.
    Unfortunately, I think many of the whack-jobs here on COTH believe exactly that. Sad but true. Their hearts might be in a strange but right place, but where their brains are is anyone's guess.

WTF??!!

Unfortunately, I think many of the whack-jobs here on COTH believe exactly that. Sad but true. Their hearts might be in a strange but right place, but where their brains are is anyone's guess.

Horses are less important than people.
    Sometimes, when I read the news and all the awful, unspeakable things some people do to others, including their own children, I often find myself glad to spend more time with my animals than other members of the human race.

I don't think the previous poster was suggesting abortion was the answer, rather that in our informed culture with access to medical knowledge is greater than ever and "oops" when it comes to procreation is becoming less of a foothold than in decades past.

Being a good human parent and horse owner means being able to distinguish between wants and needs, then prioritizing accordingly. If my kid wants a box of cookies and my horse needs medication...shrug answer is clear.

I'm glad the horse is being kept by his owner. He looks like a good, healthy old chap. Kudos to those who offered help if needed. I wish the world had more like you.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!