The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well yeah - and that requires money. When daycare can cost the price of boarding two horses, that can become a major obstacle. For people like me, who can make it work, that's great, but for some people they can't.

I'm really glad the owner has worked it out and is keeping him, I just have gotten over the usual response to "owner is pregnant" ads. Life is complicated and expensive, and circumstances aren't the same for all people. Sometimes ethical animal ownership collides pretty hard with finances and re-prioritizing. It upsets me to think about old, lame animals being cast aside because of personal choices, but I've also come to learn that sometimes people have to do what they have to do. And gotten tired of "some people need a kick" type comments when none of us know all the circumstances another person might be facing. Like with the old chestnut mare - a lot of people were ready to tar and feather those people too.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

8 members found this post helpful.

I think that Gus' owner is reponsible (sure looks it from the pic - he looks closer to 21 than 31) who never intended to dump her old horse, and the sister who posted (Probably without permission) is a non-horse busybody.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like the horse owner is deaf and the sister posted for her.

I feel for the horse. I hope he will be allright.

With two horses in boarding and money enough to keep them and have a baby on top of it I would hazard a guess she knows enough about computers* to make some pretty good money.

Deaf doesn't mean dumb, from my experience its the opposite.

*Or did in the past now she has secretaries to work the computer for her.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

5 do you know the seller?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    With two horses in boarding and money enough to keep them and have a baby on top of it I would hazard a guess she knows enough about computers* to make some pretty good money.

Deaf doesn't mean dumb, from my experience its the opposite.

*Or did in the past now she has secretaries to work the computer for her.
    ??
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Well I emailed them yesterday... no response. If they found a home for him I really hope it is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Well I emailed them yesterday... no response. If they found a home for him I really hope it is a good one.
    i'm pretty sure a page back a poster said the owner had decided to keep him

Oh wonderful I am so glad!

I asked her the other day, via CL email, to euth him or put him on coth giveaways. There are things worse than death. If I couldn't take care of mine, I'd euth them.

I think horses deserve their retirement. yes it is expensive to keep an old or lame or disabled horse, but if a person doesn't want to give him a retirement, then put him down.

I think someone posted this on another forum and the horse owner decided to keep the horse.

I will consider myself so grateful if my retired pony makes it to 30. I won't be looking to rehome him, I'll be THRILLED. He's 24 now. I can't imagine not seeing my commitment to him through!

24's not old right? Someone tell me he's got plenty in the tank.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Sounds like the horse owner is deaf and the sister posted for her.
    Deaf but not blind. I see it as a busy body sis who wants rid of the horse and the related expenses. Gus looks amazing, the barn appears to be in a good state, not run down, the aisle looks clean, and for Gus to be in what appears to be good shape, the rest of the place is probably well kept as well.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I wondered if she got the info wrong and the horse was actually 13 instead of 31... but I guess she's keeping the horse, so that's good. Not unusual for newly-preggers ladies to panic about stuff.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

To the above poster I don't doubt hes 31 He has quite a bit of graying across his forehead and fairly sunken hollows above his eyes. He looks great so kudo's to his owner and whomever is caring for him.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Is there anyway we can track down* the real owner and invite her to join the board?

If she can keep a 31 YO looking like that and still working, I would like to know her elder care routine.

Weekend mystery game.

*The horses Barn name is Gus,
    Picture of the horse,
    Pic of the barn,
    Approx location of the barn
    A bunch of smart Cothers in a part of the country too cold to ride in.

(BTW anyone in DC It is too cold for flies there right now isn't it? Politicians aside how vermin filled is the white house? The media has shown Flies and Rats following the current POTUS around like no other that I can remember. I know it is an old house but it was just as old with the other Presidents. )

I'm donning my flame suit, but really don't care. Feel I must say - What the h*ll is wrong with you people????

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that ad, NOTHING wrong with that horse, & NOTHING wrong with his environment. He looks absolutely lovely for his age, & according to the ad, still loves to go out on trail rides. So what's the problem with you harpies? The fact that he needs to find a new home, even though he's elderly? I bet if they hadn't posted his age, this thread wouldn't even be here. That should be a lesson for responsible ad posters to be sure not to be honest, since it will come up & bite you in the a**. The fact that some of the owner's personal problems/reasons for giving him away were posted? Yet another lesson not to be honest in ads.

Jesus H. Christ folks - GET A LIFE. This isn't a "rescue" situation, & if I were the owner/lister, I'd be truly offended by the "I'll supply feed & hay", "I'll supply transportation", "please, please someone give this guy a soft landing", crap.

Does ANYONE here besides me sometimes find these "COTH SWAT-Team Rescue" threads just a bit over the top??

Frankly, I'm not surprised if the listers remove the ad whether or not they've decided to keep the horse or not. You folks are enough to frighten anybody off.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    You folks are enough to frighten anybody off.
    Apparently not you.

3 members found this post helpful.

I know where it is, I remembered which barn it is but if she is keeping the horse what difference does it make?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Apparently not you.
    If I had to give away a horse because of unpleasant &/or unpredictable circumstances, placed an ad somewhere, & had this group on my a** - yes, you would frighten me away.

2 members found this post helpful.