The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Craigslist- 31 yr old TB free to good home

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/3502912097.html

I was just browsing Craigslist and saw this ad. Poor guy, and if that picture is anything close to recent he looks really good for 31 too! Thought I would share in the hope that someone on here can help find him a home!

2 members found this post helpful.

I know I have been in that barn, I remember climbing that homemade ladder to get hay. I wish I remembered where that was. Poor guy, I hope he doesn't end up in Lancaster.

Poor old guy. The old ones always break my heart...dogs and horses.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have hay + grain ready for anyone who can give the old guy a soft landing...

3 members found this post helpful.

Gus is going on 31 January 1st, I'm posting this for my sister but contact to be done through me and I will relay messages a its easier for her that way as she is deaf. Gus is very sweet and affectionate and you'd never know hebis 31, he is in super good health he does have a limp and arthritis but doesn't phase him one bit he loves going on his trail rides running like a 6 year old colt in pasture he is normally on bite to help his arthritis bibhasnt even had to be on bite for the past 3-4 months and has had no issues. Loads ties bathes stands for vet and farrier I just an all around awesome horse to have around, he can be ridden lightly and trail ridden as I said he loves the trails! A good home is a must as my sister is unfortunately having to give him up as she recently found out she's pregnant and doesn't want him not getting the attention he deserves and it breaks her heart to have to give him away but due to her life changing she has no choice. Please email to set up a time to come see this incredible boy

I'm guessing that the *bite to help his arthritis* is supposed to be *bute.*

The whole *she has no choice* bit is annoying, of course the owner has the CHOICE to keep this horse! She simply chooses to give him away.

Rant over, I'm willing to chip in a tiny smidge for this guy if someone can offer him a soft landing. Bathsheba is kindly offering grain and hay for him.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Poodles & Barrel Racers

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    Rant over, I'm willing to chip in a tiny smidge for this guy if someone can offer him a soft landing.
    Me too. We can't save 'em all, but we can save some.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Wow, it made my day to see all these positive responses! Thank you everyone!

It upsets me that so many people don't want to pay to keep an old horse, nor will they accept the responsibility of euthing an old horse.

If anyone will take him to keep or to put down, I'll contribute.

I sure wish I could have one of my horses live to be 31. I'd be so happy to have mine live that long.

Has anyone suggested to the CL poster that she either put the horse down or list it on the giveaways forum here?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Poor old guy. The old ones always break my heart...dogs and horses.
    And you have the responsible owner who pays board on her 30 something year old pony. One good horse/pony owner.

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    The whole *she has no choice* bit is annoying, of course the owner has the CHOICE to keep this horse! She simply chooses to give him away.

Rant over,...
    Rant continued: The HO is pregnant and doesn't have time? WTF? Kiddo ain't here yet and, by the way, the parents had a choice. It just bums me out that "I'm pregnant!" = a "get out of jail free" card and bouquet of congratulations on the way.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

18 members found this post helpful.

I'll chip in too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Some people really deserve a punch in the crotch. Lady, if you "don't have the time" for this horse, I really wonder how you will take time out of your busy schedule for a newborn. Maybe there's a family willing to take on that responsibility - in fact I'd bet good money on it.
    A heartfelt thank you for each of you offering to help this horse...but it's what COTH is about
    D.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

4 members found this post helpful.

Nobody noticed how great that horse looked for 31??

There is no way on God's green earth I would give a 31YO horse away. But the owner is not a total loser (or a ho) if she's keeping a 31YO horse in that kind of shape.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post

There is no way on God's green earth I would give a 31YO horse away. But the owner is not a total loser (or a ho) if she's keeping a 31YO horse in that kind of shape.

I think they meant Horse Owner, just abbreviated (Like BO means barn owner)

1 members found this post helpful.

He does look fab.... Unless it's an older pic....if I got knocked up and had a horse of that age I would....actually no, I wouldn't try to sell or place him, I'd euth or keep him till he was ready to go. Really? A 31 year old thoroughbred? Who the heck wants that? Very sad, and I'd add a dribble in honor of my 32 year old pony and 23 year old OTTB gelding, who were euth'd when it was time

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post

i don't think anyone was calling her a loser. he is in good shape from what we can see, if that photo is indeed recent. however, he is still 31 years old and to decide to rehome him at his age because he's suddenly become something of an inconvenience isn't particularly empathetic or responsible.

either way, i hope the horse finds a lovely spot to spend the rest of his days if the owner does press on with the idea of giving him up.

I'm semi-local (York) and will help anyone who can take him - trailer, $$, etc. I love the old guys, but am over full already here.

I emailed the poster with a caution about well-intentioned 'takers' who might not be what they seem; she emailed back that her sister is going to keep him and she kept forgetting to take the ad down. I asked her to keep in touch in case circumstances changed.

14 members found this post helpful.

Hooray! Glad the old boy gets to stay where he is comfortable and settled.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Some people really deserve a punch in the crotch. Lady, if you "don't have the time" for this horse, I really wonder how you will take time out of your busy schedule for a newborn.
    I think that's kind of the point - newborns take up every speck of time you ever thought you had and then some. Some people make it work better than others. Between the time and expense of daycare, I have little time and less money for my horse. I am fortunate enough to have enough money that I could make the choice to keep him (albeit on very inexpensive field board far away, but I know he loves it and is one happy camper). Not everybody has that freedom (and yes, kids are a choice too, but not one that everyone plans for, etc.). And for all we know she's having a horrible pregnancy and is on bedrest or has other high risk stuff going on.

Sorry, I used to be very judgemental about this stuff too, but I've come to feel like you never really know what other people are dealing with and going through or what their exact circumstances are. Babies really have to be a priority over animals, in the end.

That said - he looks great and lovely and I hope he finds a nice landing like the old chestnut mare did. Even better if we can engineer it. He kinda makes me wish I had the extra money and time, I could use a nice older guy to plunk around on (my horse, love him to death, but not a plunk-arounder. haha)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

8 members found this post helpful.