The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SummerSide Horse Transport LLC

Has anyone ever used them to transport a horse? Supposely they have been in business for 6yrs. but I can't find anything about them other than what is on uship.
    Another question or opinion:
    Would you ship a horse from the East Coast to the West in a two horse bumper pull (about 1700 miles)?
    Last edited by jenbrin; Jan. 23, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Just a heads up on this small shipper they are not what they say they are. Apparently they have had over 13 or 14 cancellations in a short amount of time & that every cancellation is after they received the deposit & cash it.
    I also found this:
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/summersi...ohio-5b0a9.htm

In fact, they did the same thing with me after I paid the deposit than suddenly picking up my horse was delayed but I was able to place a stop payment on the check. So beware for a R Hooper in Ohio.

...which is why I ALWAYS go with big name carriers.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I know!! It's just really sad that things like this make it harder for the smaller shipper to enter into the business. Luckily I didn't take a loss & I'm in the process of rescheduling my poor OTTB to be shipped from PA to CO but she is at least in a nice facility & I have time to ship her here.

I hauled my 3 year old over 1,400 miles when I purchased her. We used a 2 horse bumper bull (featherlite) but took out the middle dividers. I left the chest bars up across the front so we had room to get in and out of the trailer without her reaching the side door. She basically had an oversize stall that she could completely turn around in, and traveled backwards the majority of the trip. It worked great for her.

Definitely do not use SummerSide aka Ryan Hooper he has several complaints against him on various sites. Using larger transport companies is not always the best idea either. Your horse will be in transport longer periods of time, exposed to other horses and don't get near the personalized attention that a small reputable transporter can provide. My best advise is to do your research and use due diligence in choosing a transporter. If a transporter asks for a deposit before pick up of your horse use a credit card or paypal so you can dispute the charge. Make sure you are 100% satisfied with any contract that the transporter makes you sign, some charge additional fees that are not clear in the beginning and won't allow you to get your deposit back if you have to cancel the trip or charges additional fees for unforeseen circumstances that are out of your control. Most transports are going to cost you around $1.00 per mile be real leery of any price lower that $0.60 per mile. Also be aware that some websites charge transporters a commission, as much as 20% so what seems like a high price to you might really be what the transporter needs to complete the trip safely and still make a profit. I hope this helps in future decisions on which transporter to use.

1 members found this post helpful.