The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's the hardest kind of horse to sell?

In your opinion, what is the hardest horse to sell? (example; A stopper, health issues, horse that swaps...)

I think one that rears.

After that I would say a hot sensitive horse that is not particularly athletic. If the horse is a hot sensitive horse with the ability to move up the levels a pro, or a talented young rider might be interested, but if it doesn't have the ability to move up the levels it will be tough to find someone with the skills interested in dealing with the horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

One that is NQR or outright off.

3 members found this post helpful.

One that is too big...

i think it depends on your market. i'd say there are some exceptions that may be near impossible to sell, but otherwise, it's just a number of variables that add up to make the success or failure of a sale of a particular horse.

The hot/sensitive "professional's ride" who isn't sound enough, pretty enough, already trained-enough to appeal to that person or a client.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The free horse who needs to go, even with no issues, just like stuff people set out on the roadside labeled "FREE" doesn't get taken the way stuff with price tags gets stolen.

Else, I'd say a known rearer/flipper. There just aren't very many people who want to take that kind of stuff on...and pay for it. Even if the horse is otherwise sound and healthy, knowing that a horse was prone to flipping would immediately eliminate it from most shopping lists I would think. (hope!)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

IMO: A horse that grew or has odd sizing. Such as a 14.3 horse, it just made it out of the pony Divisons, and may have problems with striding, especially if it was previously measure as a pony.

Hot but not athletic

the 15 year old "prospect"

dangerous behavior (rearing, cow kicking at people, striking, etc.)

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    The free horse who needs to go, even with no issues, just like stuff people set out on the roadside labeled "FREE" doesn't get taken the way stuff with price tags gets stolen.
    LOL.... Tell that to my SO, he is the king of bringing home crap he found in free piles. It makes me INSANE

I agree with some of the other posters - rearers/flippers and horses w/ physical issues. People (well, intelligent people) have a tendency to not want to die, and in this economy most people don't want to take horses with ongoing maintenance issues when they can generally find good deals on sound horses.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    The hot/sensitive "professional's ride" who isn't sound enough, pretty enough, already trained-enough to appeal to that person or a client.
    I have one of these! He's perfect for the professional rider who has no aspirations of ever jumping over 3' and has unlimited amounts of time to devote to figuring out just the one horse.

I love him and would not want to part with him, but I've pretty much completely modified/eliminated any "goals" I may have had when I bought him. Which is okay, actually, because he has ultimately given me more than any other horse I have ever had...he just gave me some things I never really realized I needed.

5 members found this post helpful.

15 hh chestnut tb mares....ask me how I know....

9 members found this post helpful.

The one that is costing you the most to keep while it's for sale.

1 members found this post helpful.

The one that just *knows* when buyers are coming to look at him/her... ;-)
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

5 members found this post helpful.

A pro ride that isn't sound/athletic enough to be interesting to a pro or talented ammy.
    Or a flipper, but you shouldn't try to sell them in the first place.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

An older horse (say 20+) who isn't broke to ride. Or one of any age with serious health problems. You just about cannot give those horses away.

Someone might be willing to take a chance on a horse with behavioral problems (rearing, bucking, bolting) if it has training and talent (when not walking around on its back legs). Someone might think they can retrain that.. but almost no one wants to train a 20+ year old horse.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

A lame horse- one that rears!
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Ugly horse. You'd be amazed, or maybe not, how many people will buy the otherwise sketchy horse if it is any one of those fancy colors like grulla or medicine hat or has lots of chrome, or its tail drags the ground. I didn't say these were experienced horsemen, and I didn't say the home was a good home where the horse would be well kept. Jug headed blue roan with a bald face will get a lot more attention than a jug headed plain bay.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by aucowwy View Post
    A lame horse- one that rears!
    How about a 14.3 20 year old chestnut mare that is green broke, off and on NQR, sensitive and hot headed enough to be a pro ride, but very unathletic and lacking talent, with health issues that require special care, and an attitude that doesnt make her a fun ride, and who has been known to bite, kick, and flip?

Would that be COTH's least sellable horse?

We could add that she requires special shoeing and cribs if that helps her case.

19 members found this post helpful.

I'd toss in unregistered and unbreedable there, too, if we're building the worst-case scenario.