The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    What I don't understand is, if its Ponymom2012's daughter (or someone like her) who actually lost her leased pony for the show, and possibly lost out on some of her 'junior year', why is it EM who is suing for a lost junior year for her daughter? The daughter wasn't riding Humble. Was there any reason why her daughter was unable to regroup and continue showing under someone else with other horses if her mother, because of her inability to follow rules, was banned from the showgrounds?
    from what i can gather, unless EM being suspended directly effected whether or not her daughter could show, perhaps she felt too embarrassed or ostracized by the other competitors to go? i know if it were me, i'd probably lay low for awhile and just school at home until this blew over.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horseyninjawarrior View Post
    ^this sentiment might creep into the next episode of the Gambino files!

Eta, if I have enough xtranormal points left, lol!
    Is there a way to contribute to the pool of xtranormal points for you? I haven't laughed out loud like this in a while.

M has apparently accomplished what countless explorers have failed to do over the last 500 years: discover the fountain of youth. It's USEF! Who knew!?

The mom was suspended for a few months right? I can't recall the exact timing but it wasn't more than 6 months I'm sure... right? And no the kid was not suspended, and could have ridden other people's horses, but alas, I'm sure not alot of folks want to do mom any favors right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly99 View Post
    In those instances USEF was only able to move forward with a lifetime suspensions after they were found guilty in a court of law.
    You need to learn to think outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by tinydragon View Post
    from what i can gather, unless EM being suspended directly effected whether or not her daughter could show, perhaps she felt too embarrassed or ostracized by the other competitors to go? i know if it were me, i'd probably lay low for awhile and just school at home until this blew over.
    I think so, too.

Enough is enough.

EM got all she needed-- her USEF membership intact and no formal repercussions from Humble's death.

If she feels she was wrongly accused, then I can see why she wants to fight. But there is a time to count your blessings, weigh the costs of continuing to poke at the USEF and decide what anything else from them is worth. Legal fees, panic attacks and clients who continue to follow the on-going fight? It doesn't seem worth it to me.

IMO, the USEF won't issue an apology or extend the kid's junior eligibility. It's unprecedented and also opens a can of worms for the USEF since others with anger and deep pockets will want theirs, too. And, as someone pointed out, a protracted legal battle is ultimately paid for by rank-and-file membership, so there is pressure there to have a GOB that makes quick, decisive and cheap decisions.

If EM wants to use her emotional and financial resources to improve the D&M rules, their enforcement or the protesting process, then have at it. But bit of some "Humble Initiative" needs to be separated from anything that benefits Mandarino personally in order to have credibility with anyone-- the USEF or its membership.

And to reiterate, "enough is enough." If Mandarino is unhappy with the fallout she is experiencing, she can say "Uncle," enjoy her reinstated membership, and make it all stop.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I have a question , can you purchase injectable magnisium from any other source besides a Vet? and is there any legitimate use for it

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I think so, too.

Enough is enough.

EM got all she needed-- her USEF membership intact and no formal repercussions from Humble's death.

If she feels she was wrongly accused, then I can see why she wants to fight. But there is a time to count your blessings, weigh the costs of continuing to poke at the USEF and decide what anything else from them is worth. Legal fees, panic attacks and clients who continue to follow the on-going fight? It doesn't seem worth it to me.

IMO, the USEF won't issue an apology or extend the kid's junior eligibility. It's unprecedented and also opens a can of worms for the USEF since others with anger and deep pockets will want theirs, too. And, as someone pointed out, a protracted legal battle is ultimately paid for by rank-and-file membership, so there is pressure there to have a GOB that makes quick, decisive and cheap decisions.

If EM wants to use her emotional and financial resources to improve the D&M rules, their enforcement or the protesting process, then have at it. But bit of some "Humble Initiative" needs to be separated from anything that benefits Mandarino personally in order to have credibility with anyone-- the USEF or its membership.

And to reiterate, "enough is enough." If Mandarino is unhappy with the fallout she is experiencing, she can say "Uncle," enjoy her reinstated membership, and make it all stop.
    Mandarino does not seem to understand the meaning of "Uncle" or withdrawing from a fight.I see her as being similar to the Black Knight in the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail. After having his arms hacked off by King Arthur he looks at his stumps and states: "It's just a flesh wound!"....As long she and her husband Perry's, (who seems to be very much involved in her actions), bank accounts have a balance I think she will keep her legal teams in clover....lucky them. For her, it seems she'll fight to the end. Can't wait to see the end !

9 members found this post helpful.

Having looked at the documents in the link, I suggest that Ms. Mandarino ask one of her 9 lawyers to read her correspondence before she hits send.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

It's a new day and EM's self-imposed deadline to secure a meeting with the USEF president is now over. I wonder is she gave the "green light" to her lawyers to go after the USEF? That "green light" turns into green bucks for them. Like a winning scratch off lottery ticket. Maybe, just maybe, Tammy will rein her in.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    I have a question , can you purchase injectable magnisium from any other source besides a Vet? and is there any legitimate use for it
    It used to be commonly available from those call-in equine pharmacy companies that maintain a presence at most large horse shows. They pretend to have a vet on hand that has examined a token few horses in your barn and you pretend to have a prescription on file. The only legitimate use I can think of for it would be to euthanize said quasi-vet and his buddies before him who brought that sh!te to the shows.

No legitimate use in horses that I know of.

I just googled it and found several sites that were more than happy to ship it without a prescription.
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    No legitimate use in horses that I have ever heard of. I believe it has some use in woman during labour.
    It's used to help delay birth for 24-48 hours in women with preeclampsia or preterm labor. Sometimes only a day or two will make a huge difference, for example, if steroids are given to help fetal lungs mature or if a woman needs to be transported to a big hospital from somewhere remote to give birth.

It's pretty brutal, though, from what I hear, and not without risks. Based on that alone, I can't bear the thought of "routinely" giving it to show horses just to calm them down.

(I work in a high risk OB practice; I'm the data manager/statistician.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakHack View Post
    Is there a way to contribute to the pool of xtranormal points for you? I haven't laughed out loud like this in a while.
    I have enough to do one more right now and it is in progress. I keep getting pulled away by kids and husband who want to enjoy snow day, silly people. Movie making is much more fun!

6 members found this post helpful.

Very few "legitimate" indications for a drug, and fewer of those outside a hospital setting.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

We use injectable magnesium sulfate in the (human) hospital with some regularity to correct electrolyte imbalances. However, it is always given as an infusion over an hour or more ... The only circumstance I can think off the top of my head where it would be given IV push (the way it is apparently done for a "calming" effect in horses) would be certain instances of cardiac arrest.

I could see it possibly having a legitimate use in horses for the same purpose ... To correct electrolyte imbalances, although I honestly don't know how often it's used for that. However, if a horse is sick enough to require IV electrolyte replacement, he's definitely too sick to be competing.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    PonyMom2012,
    I wish I was in a position to be able to contribute financially to any attorney fees that you may incur due to the audacity you have shown by doing the right thing.
    Is that something that we can do? I'd be more than willing to send PonyMom some $$ to help offset her legal costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Situation View Post
    We use injectable magnesium sulfate in the (human) hospital with some regularity to correct electrolyte imbalances. However, it is always given as an infusion over an hour or more ... The only circumstance I can think off the top of my head where it would be given IV push (the way it is apparently done for a "calming" effect in horses) would be certain instances of cardiac arrest.

I could see it possibly having a legitimate use in horses for the same purpose ... To correct electrolyte imbalances, although I honestly don't know how often it's used for that. However, if a horse is sick enough to require IV electrolyte replacement, he's definitely too sick to be competing.
    Right...and I doubt that Humble was in torsades.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sign? Are you kidding? Pass the popcorn.

Default IV Magnesium

I suffer from magnesium deficiency, which affects the ability of muscles to stretch/relax. When it was first discovered my physician gave me IV magnesium (slow drip) for a severe deficiency that was impairing my ability to walk. The effect was like the hot flash from hell. Knowing the affect it had on me, I would totally freak out if anyone suggested doing the same to my horse just to 'calm' him.

I still need to take oral supplement daily - and have no problem with giving it to a horse orally who is showing signs of stiff/sore mucles. But I would also take a very close look at that horse's workload to be sure said soreness is not due to being over worked.

Frankly, I'm amazed at the number of owners and trainers with absolutely no vetinary or medical training that nonchalantly jab IV meds and suplements like Mag into their horses. The margin for error is so small and the consequences for mistakes, as shown, can be so deadly.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.