The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mare Left in Start Gate - Behind 10 Lengths - Wins Her First Race!

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

7 members found this post helpful.

Wow.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

so it took her a little while to figure it out.

3 members found this post helpful.

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing it Mike!

Nice heartstopping race!

WOW!

awesome! its hard to keep a good horse down...

Wow! What a horse!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

It's funny that everyone has been making such a big deal about this race. The winning filly did make up a lot of ground, but she was also helped enormously by the blistering pace up front. While she spent most of the race galloping along under no pressure behind the rest of the field, the frontrunners were going head to head and burning each other out. Then Market Quote came along and picked up the pieces.

By the end of the race, she was finally hitting her best stride and the leaders were backing up. That's why she was able to pass the field and make it look easy. It will be interesting to see how her next race plays out but I won't be surprised if she doesn't look nearly this dominent.

8 members found this post helpful.

Aw come on LaurieB, it was still a good race!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

6 members found this post helpful.

Le'ts see LaurieB do as well.

Great race by the horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for your insight Laurie,

As I was watching it that is how I saw it, the field was slowing as she maintained her pace and increased it at the turn towards home. I am not a race horse person, I watch the triple crown and that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    It's funny that everyone has been making such a big deal about this race. The winning filly did make up a lot of ground, but she was also helped enormously by the blistering pace up front. While she spent most of the race galloping along under no pressure behind the rest of the field, the frontrunners were going head to head and burning each other out. Then Market Quote came along and picked up the pieces.

By the end of the race, she was finally hitting her best stride and the leaders were backing up. That's why she was able to pass the field and make it look easy. It will be interesting to see how her next race plays out but I won't be surprised if she doesn't look nearly this dominent.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Aw come on LaurieB, it was still a good race!!
    It was certainly a fun race to watch.

But from the perspective of owner and trainer, it would have been a much better race if the filly had broken from the gate with the rest of the field. That she did not is a concern.

As for the race itself, despite the very fast early fractions (set by horses that backed totally out of the race late) the final time for the mile on turf was not exceptional: 1:34.86. Two races later, horses running for a 32K claiming tag covered the same course and distance 3/10 of a second faster, finishing their race in 1:34.52.

It was a nice debut, but it wasn't the second coming of Zenyatta.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nice! One of my favorite parts of this video is that I now know there's a horse named "Crazy Papaya" out there. Hahahahaha!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

8 members found this post helpful.

My Finger Lakes Finest did something like this at the one race he won at Finger Lakes in July of 2008. He was dead last most of the way (and not in the video either) and all of a sudden he went zzzzzZZZZZOOOOOOOM past all the other horses and won! He sure looked surprised and pleased at the end with his ears perked up and face excited and happy.

http://www.fingerlakesracetrack.com/Replays.aspx If you want to see it - it's July the 15th, 2008 and race 4. You may have to use the back arrow on the little calendar to find it. My horse is Number the zzzooooom in the green silks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Laurie, I'm curious--will this mare have to go back and school breaking at the gate before she'll be permitted to start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Laurie, I'm curious--will this mare have to go back and school breaking at the gate before she'll be permitted to start again?
    She won't be required to do so--that wasn't an infraction bad enough for her to lose her gate card, especially since her behavior penalized no one but herself. But I'm sure her trainer (John Shirreffs) will do more gate schooling before her next start. He alluded to that in his post-race interview.

She absolutely will be on the starters list.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    Le'ts see LaurieB do as well.

Great race by the horse.
    LaurieB has had plenty of success breeding, selling, and racing her horses.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post

Do you think her jockey had to hold her while she was back there or that the distance she had behind the other horses helped her find her pace and just hang out until it was time to move up?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    She absolutely will be on the starters list.
    I'd imagine it depends on where you race. That was not our experience when a filly we owned did something similar (except for the win, unfortunately.)