The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default DAYS END RESCUE..OOK AT HOW MUCH THEY PAY THEMSELVES Most of the workers volunteer

DEFHR Finally filed Form 990

Day's End Farm Horse Rescue appears to have finally filed their 2011 Form 990. Kathleen Howe signed it on 10/04/2012 and the IRS received it on 10/16/2012. I had anticipated that their income would have ballooned in 2011 as a result of their misguided seizure of Marsha's herd and all of their over-the-top pleas for more money! Guidestar finally posted 990 yesterday! I found the following info to be enlightening:
    - Kathleen Howe now receives $82,000 in compensation (approximate, but a large increase)

- Total Income: $1,308,881 (actually less than they raised in 2010)
    - Total Expenses: $1,334,692 (for an annual loss of $25,811)
    - Total Salaries/Compensation: $630,366 (48% of their income)
    - Total Fundraising: %62,769.

*** If you combine salaries with fundraising costs, it shows that almost 53cents of every dollar they receive is used on salaries and raising more money. That means that only 47 cents can go toward actually helping horses (then you start subtracting rents, office supplies, etc, etc)

"Follow the money!!!"

Based on past practice, it will be another year before we see DEFHR's 2012 numbers.
    So far, Christine's taxes for GGDHR are not available for 2011. I can't wait to see her results since she was able to purchase a new farm!

AND don't forget....her excuse was they needed a secure facility...Makes sense to me...

Don't forget Gentle Giants used the same excuse but forgot to mention they are retaining the OLD FARM and their NEW and IMPROVED field of dreams was purchased from her IN LAWS....

GG and DEFHR are tied at the hip...

By the way, have you seen that DEFHR is still advertising of Marsha's horses, but many haven 't even been saddled yet? After 2 years, the 'experts' and 'saviors' have not managed to progress some her horses at all. Maybe their income for 2011 will help dissuade them from making such ill-advised herd grabs!
    PS: DEFHR is openly posting on Petfinder that Jellybean has COPD. (Jellybean was the horse which coughed and they used it as an excuse to call a different vet and seize the whole herd!!!)

The OLD AGE ANOREXIA that they stated DID NOT EXIST as an excuse for the owner is now the excuse they use for their lack of ability to put weight on the old girls.

They also have a 200 mile radius for adoption but they shipped A LOAD of the seized horses to "an approved" trainer in TEXAS..gosh...does that mean there are NO good trainers between Maryland and Texas?...or...is it just convenient to the Mexican border?

Kathleen has ALL of her expenses paid for so the EIGHTY ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS IS FREE AND CLEAR

This is the old HSUS (their best friends) accounting trick for Wayne Pacelle and his friends.

Bottom line...look at the total wages of over ONE HALF MILLION DOLLARS....but also remember the volunteers clean stalls, feed horses, repair facilities, ...DEFHR does BILL the owners of horses seized for volunteer time but they do not pay them

I loved their one excuse...oh...that money goes into "appreciation parties"--expensive egg rolls if you ask me.

This was posted on Speak Easy by the amazing Income Tax Fraud Investigator Lookin4Haven.

8 members found this post helpful.

Welcome to the knowledge about 501c3's and the paying of their staff, and expenses, etc. You can do the math and figure out what %'s they pay and where the money is really going.

Many 501c3's, aka non-profit organizations of all types have the same or worse on how money is paid out.

Always be careful whom you give your $ to. If more people looked at their favorite charities, they would be very alarmed at where the money is spent.

rmh, Accountant

12 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone else hear that train off in the distance?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

14 members found this post helpful.

whoooooooo chug chug chug chug chug

Get the popcorn and wine open.

It is never too early for a drink especially when these peelers are put on stage and have their protective barriers stripped from them one by one...so every can see

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    DEFHR Finally filed Form 990

Day's End Farm Horse Rescue appears to have finally filed their 2011 Form 990. Kathleen Howe signed it on 10/04/2012 and the IRS received it on 10/16/2012. I had anticipated that their income would have ballooned in 2011 as a result of their misguided seizure of Marsha's herd and all of their over-the-top pleas for more money! Guidestar finally posted 990 yesterday! I found the following info to be enlightening:
    - Kathleen Howe now receives $82,000 in compensation (approximate, but a large increase)

- Total Income: $1,308,881 (actually less than they raised in 2010)
    - Total Expenses: $1,334,692 (for an annual loss of $25,811)
    - Total Salaries/Compensation: $630,366 (48% of their income)
    - Total Fundraising: %62,769.

*** If you combine salaries with fundraising costs, it shows that almost 53cents of every dollar they receive is used on salaries and raising more money. That means that only 47 cents can go toward actually helping horses (then you start subtracting rents, office supplies, etc, etc)

"Follow the money!!!"

Based on past practice, it will be another year before we see DEFHR's 2012 numbers.
    So far, Christine's taxes for GGDHR are not available for 2011. I can't wait to see her results since she was able to purchase a new farm!

AND don't forget....her excuse was they needed a secure facility...Makes sense to me...

Don't forget Gentle Giants used the same excuse but forgot to mention they are retaining the OLD FARM and their NEW and IMPROVED field of dreams was purchased from her IN LAWS....

GG and DEFHR are tied at the hip...

By the way, have you seen that DEFHR is still advertising of Marsha's horses, but many haven 't even been saddled yet? After 2 years, the 'experts' and 'saviors' have not managed to progress some her horses at all. Maybe their income for 2011 will help dissuade them from making such ill-advised herd grabs!
    PS: DEFHR is openly posting on Petfinder that Jellybean has COPD. (Jellybean was the horse which coughed and they used it as an excuse to call a different vet and seize the whole herd!!!)

The OLD AGE ANOREXIA that they stated DID NOT EXIST as an excuse for the owner is now the excuse they use for their lack of ability to put weight on the old girls.

They also have a 200 mile radius for adoption but they shipped A LOAD of the seized horses to "an approved" trainer in TEXAS..gosh...does that mean there are NO good trainers between Maryland and Texas?...or...is it just convenient to the Mexican border?

Kathleen has ALL of her expenses paid for so the EIGHTY ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS IS FREE AND CLEAR

This is the old HSUS (their best friends) accounting trick for Wayne Pacelle and his friends.

Bottom line...look at the total wages of over ONE HALF MILLION DOLLARS....but also remember the volunteers clean stalls, feed horses, repair facilities, ...DEFHR does BILL the owners of horses seized for volunteer time but they do not pay them

I loved their one excuse...oh...that money goes into "appreciation parties"--expensive egg rolls if you ask me.

This was posted on Speak Easy by the amazing Income Tax Fraud Investigator Lookin4Haven.
    Wow! Just Wow. What a racket they have going.

Agree with other poster that as contributors we need to see the 990's before we donate, and don't take no for an answer!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Not that the drama llamas care but their 990's on are Guidestar. Here's a link to their 2011 return.

There is only one compensated director and officer. I certainly looks like they have paid employees to me, and they're not completely volunteer.

Still got that bug up your butt about the Arabians, don't you Fairfax?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

9 members found this post helpful.

And here's their audited financials.

They have paid staff. Nice job on the smear campaign, though Fairfax.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You are mistaken. The old farm belonged to Christine's husband and his two brothers.

The new farm was once called Shay's Sundance Farm and was owned by a lady named Shay who passed away. The farm was on the market for quite a while being sold by the lady's children. That is who GG bought it from and they are not related to Christine.

GG is also in the process of getting GFAS accredited (they're also a GFAS animal sanctuary, as you can see from the badge on their website, and now they're doing the more rigorous accreditation, as I understand it) so I believe their financials are getting a pretty good going over.

GG and DEFHR have worked together a couple times in regards to some animal seizures but they are not nearly as closely related as you'd like to believe they are, Fairfax.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

8 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to get spun up about this. Whenever a nonprofit does well enough that they can afford to, they SHOULD have paid staff and paid people. That means that the people running the show can actually treat that as their job, and focus on it, and nurture/build/grow the organization. That's actually good.

Running any organization with zero compensation is incredibly hard. Focusing on doing things right, staying organized, having the skills and time to put towards proper fundraising and PR, etc - very hard to do when all the people in the organization are volunteers and have full time jobs and other things to attend to.

Not sure why I even responded, I know OP loves to take any opportunity at all to point and screech and scream about DE.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

40 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Not sure why I even responded, I know OP loves to take any opportunity at all to point and screech and scream about DE.
    no different than other posters who have their favorite organization to hate.
    He just skipped the passive part and went all out aggressive...and the ladies resent him for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    no different than other posters who have their favorite organization to hate
    And just as tiresome.

Receiving a salary from a nonprofit for services rendered is not a sin. Indeed, as caffeinated pointed out, it can be a good sign. But certainly do your homework on any nonprofit to which you're thinking of donating.

'nuff said.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    And just as loathsome.
    I don't disagree with you. I just pointed it out.
    The other haters are more popular....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't disagree with you. I just pointed it out.
    The other haters are more popular....
    Some of the "other haters" at least do more than come here once in a blue moon and post IN ALL CAPS about something that has been hashed out repeatedly then go back to whatever hole on the www he inhabits regularly.

Mr. Fairfax has but one tune -- make that one note. And hearing over and over again is tiresome.

6 members found this post helpful.

53% for COMBINED salary and fundraising isn't unreasonable at all. I'd be more concerned that they're operating at that big a deficit. No matter how much fundraising you do that's ultimately unsustainable. (Yes, maybe the director could take a pay cut, but that's not going to fix the gap long-term.) However most smaller non-profits (and for-profits, for that matter) are unwilling to pay the one big salary they really OUGHT to--hiring a competent accountant instead of trying to get someone to volunteer those skills, or hiring one on the cheap.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Some of the "other haters" at least do more than come here once in a blue moon and post IN ALL CAPS about something that has been hashed out repeatedly then go back to whatever hole on the www he inhabits regularly.

Mr. Fairfax has but one tune -- make that one note. And hearing over and over again is tiresome.
    does not matter.
    if what he posts is correct it is correct, caps and all, and every blue moon and all.
    It's not that the other posters are always right either. Which does not stop them from posting their opinion, though they don't normally caps lock it.

FWIW, I do not share his assessment of the situation which brought him to the forum. But I have not looked into it at all. If he is right about half the stuff he has said, 2013 could proof to be interesting on the rescue front.

Where he IS right is that the HSUS has made great strides in infiltrating the rescue industry and AC precedings. and THAT will be a costly development for all of us.

Am I supposed to be upset that a non profit pays their director $82K?

I work for a non-profit and make more than that. I expect our director makes more than double that. Non-profits can get away with paying people below market rates, and often do so deliberately so that only people who believe in their mission apply, but people can't eat karma.

Most people need a salary if they are going to put in 40+ hours a week. Volunteers are great, but most non-profits need some paid employees.

29 members found this post helpful.

Fairfax, thanks for posting this. It reminded me that I need to make my quarterly contribution to DEFHR.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

23 members found this post helpful.

does not matter.
    if what he posts is correct it is correct, caps and all, and every blue moon and all.
    It's not that the other posters are always right either. Which does not stop them from posting their opinion, though they don't normally caps lock it.

FWIW, I do not share his assessment of the situation which brought him to the forum. But I have not looked into it at all. If he is right about half the stuff he has said, 2013 could proof to be interesting on the rescue front.

Where he IS right is that the HSUS has made great strides in infiltrating the rescue industry and AC precedings. and THAT will be a costly development for all of us.
    What a cogent assessment.

This is an update...no more..no less...Of course EMPLOYEES should be paid.. However they have a huge volunteer base that do all fencing/repair..plumbers, electricians, stall cleaners, water bucket scrubbers WHO ARE FREE.

They most certainly have tapped into a great volunteer market

How many of YOU have an income of over $80,000 and ALL of your expenses are paid for. Dining out...promotion of DEFHR....dining in at home...invite a volunteer or potential donor and it is a write off.

I do not agree that they go after the person theiy have seized the horses from and charge them for the vo9lunteer hours when those volunteers are not paid.

Gee Laura...you provide guidestar as if only you had that information. Re-read the post from lookin4haven...Guidestar was mentioned.

As for Gentle Giants...we will have information on them and their dealings at a later date. Interesting you note they are now "going over" their accounting and filings...Those should have been accurate from day one as is demanded of other rescues
    \
    They are not breaking any law...anyone can do it...they do it better than most.

They seized horses (numerous seizures) from ALL breed owners and any old horse that was skinny was used against the breeder or owner. They REFUSED to admit there was an old age anorexia condition and their internet volunteers alwayts came onto this forum and others and stated the horses were not fed correctly.

Low and behold...now THEY claim it is a condition as they can not keep weight on the mares.

WHAT??????? No comment abnout them shipping horses to trainers thousands of miles away? Kind of convenient I think....they just disappear.

It is not about just this case....There is a case in New Hampshire that is very interesting

New strategy...a complaint was filed regarding NO WATER available to the horses...however there is no way one could see from the road. Here is the kicker. Complaint is filed by a lawyer who is also connected to HSUS Animal RIGHTS and when she is asked WHO signbed the complaint...she cites client/lawyer confidentiality agreement., Now she is involved with the HSUS representative and they are now stating that water must be available AT ALL TIMES.. law previously read horses must show evidence of hydration . They have circulated this "underground" law (meaning it has NEVER been passed) to all AC agents and are advising them to charge the owners if a water bucket is empty or frozen 24/7 and they are also saying in their brochure to AC and Police that the owner should be charged with a felony designation.

When asked about horses involved in trail rides, eventing etc not having access to water AT ALL TIMES...they have a no comment...except one young lady implied..maybe horses should not be ridden or taken away from a source of water.

If you find updates of no value nor interest..ignore them. There are many who do appreciate the information especially if they have sons or daughters in the military where they are encouraged to have payroll deductions for charitable groups and DEFHR is one of them.

Before we started to invesigate DEFHR and GG and several other rescues connected to them, MOST (not all) were behind on their IRS filings for up to SIX years.

When a group such as DEFHR works with University of Davis and they create brochures stating "these are the laws" and they circulate these pseudo laws to the police and AC as fact...they should be challenged. U of D refused to change their website until the threat of more court action was threatened and they then complied.

As horse owners/breeders/enthusiasts we must be aware of groups who are gaining credibility with false information.

The wages regarding DEFHR were posted as a rebuttal to Brooke Varny who stated on this and many other forums that they were hardly paid anything..implying it was a labor of love.

Now we learn differently and when she posts her income tax the truth will out.

Drama?....after reading posts where individuals were encouraged to call the ex of a scorned woman and tell him what a lousy B he was...or demand he do something over her implied threats of suicide (relevance???she is very well known in the rescue community)..THAT is drama....

Laura...since when is posting facts a smear campaign?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer is the adage that all horse owners should apply.

I think some people are confused about what "non-profit" actually means....
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse