The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about a possible bowed tendon

First things first: Yes, I will be calling my vet this morning to determine whether she wants to come out right away or wait until Monday morning...

My TB mare has soft, slightly warm swelling that starts slightly under her knee on the back of her right front leg. It looks a lot like a possible tendon injury to me although I can't figure out how the heck she managed that overnight in her 12'x14' stall with the stall mattress system and anti-cast strips. She is a disaster magnet though so anything is possible I suppose. No signs of anything out of order in her stall and she is otherwise unruffled. There is a slight pain reaction when I put some pressure on the area and she is slightly lame but will bear weight and walk on it.

My girl is a lawn ornament only - 12+ hours of turnout and stalled at night. She had fairly severe injuries/medical issues when I got her - to the point where the vet and I talked very seriously about euthanasia several times over the first year. She has come a long way and is pasture sound and happy but we have struggled with ulcers/gas colic problems and stall rest would probably cause a relapse.

So, depending on what the vet says, I'm thinking cold hosing, poultice at night, and maybe Sports Medicine Boots during turnout? I'm really reluctant to use any kind of wraps/bandages on her because she mouths everything. I have nightmare images of her undoing polo/standing/etc wraps and tangling herself up in them which is why I thought of the medicine boots. I think the worst she can do with those is wreck them and they're replacable.

Can the experienced COTH folks please let me know if I'm on the right track with this? Again, not looking to rehab for work of any kind - she just needs to be a comfortable pasture princess.

IMO pretty hard to give sound advise without seeing and feeling along with complete past history. Pretty hard for a horse to “bow” or “pull” a tendon in a stall unless there was/is something going on leading up to the event. She may have just “rapped” it with a hind leg getting up or something which caused swelling and be sensitive/reactive when manipulated. If she bowed or pulled it pretty good it will get bigger over the next couple of days. If she just “rapped” it should reduce fairly quickly. IMO you are on track with cold water hosing and or ice boot. I have used an “open” (no bandage) chilled mud poultice while in the stall and or when turned out. Try and remove it before it dries out.
    A gram of Bute maybe in order. Surpass should help. Some Ace before turn out just to make sure she stays calm.
    I am not a fan of boots. Especially those neoprene sports boots. IMO they really don’t give much “support” and the horse’s leg gets very hot underneath which is what you want to avoid.

Thanks very much for the quick reply Gumtree! The vet will be coming out on Monday - she's hoping that it's just a bad rap as well. I removed the SM boots and I am heading out to Dover to pick up some Boomer's Bandages - no bow wraps that can be used for standing or turnout according to the website. They're not neoprene so maybe they'll be a better alternative if the swelling continues to increase. I did give a gram of Bute and I'll ask the vet about Surpass as well.

I luck out about turn out actually. Gracie is a pretty calm horse unless she's been inside a few days. She pretty much keeps to an easy walk and will mosey from hay net to hay net or nap in the run in. The vet did say that normally she would recommend stall rest to be on the safe side but agreed that really isn't going to work well for Grace.

I'm wondering if she didn't do something in turnout yesterday. She is in a 1/2 acre dry lot with one other horse for most of the day with an hour of turnout on grass pasture (weather depending). Although she stays pretty mellow in the dry lot area, she does like to take a quick lap around the pasture before settling in to graze. I always pick feet and do a quick groom/health check every day when I bring in but maybe I missed it somehow.

And I would look carefully for a small puncture or scrape in the area.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Thanks Merrygoround. I haven't found anything but will look again this afternoon. She does have an issue with hoof abcesses which is what I thought this was originally. She will suddenly go slightly lame and often there will be heat/swelling up into the leg. The last abcess caused swelling all the way up to her hock. But I can always find a bit of heat somewhere in the hoof as well that tells me it's an abcess and I can't find that anywhere this time. Also, her entire leg would generally swell instead of just a specific area and it's only that one spot this time around. It's gotten a bit warmer and a bit more pronounce through the day even after some cold hose sessions. I bought her some of those sheets of gel that you keep in the freezer and can put on under wraps. I'll cold hose again this afternoon and then wrap with the cold pack for 20ish minutes before night check.