The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    FEI now requires all FEI registered horses to be microchipped. Registries in Europe require microchipping as well. So as this becomes the standard in Europe, we will be required to microchip our horses bred here who make it to FEI level competitions.

It is rather affordable to have a horse microchipped and a lot more vets now have the scanners.

I also don't think it's necessary to scan ever horse on the show grounds, and I'm not sure where I see the expense for the horse show or USEF? Also note, that when horses arrive into the US for import, they are scanned for chips. All FEI horses at check in are scanned for their chips now. I certainly don't see checkins taking any longer than usual because of this.

I personally think it's a heck of a lot better to have a microchip as opposed to a piece of paper saying who the horse is.

Here's some reading material for you in case you haven't researched it yet for yourself........

http://www.microchipidequine.com/answers.html

On this particular site.... you'll find the scanner is only $325.00 and one chip is $33.00. Looks pretty affordable to me.

Cheers
    Hunters are not FEI. Hunt Seat Equitation is not FEI.
    The percent of jumpers that show in FEI is very small.
    The number of H/J shows that offer FEI GP's in very small.

As a result the FEI chip requirement is not relevant to a H/J show.

I'm sure you are aware that the tiny number of shows that do have FEI level classes for jumpers would have usually no more than 100 horses to be scanned.

Shows like WEF have thousands of horses entered. Sorry, but scanning them will certainly delay check in.

And please do some research yourself into the various types of H/J shows that USEF sanctions, not just the WEF type shows.

Again, if USEF wants to buy scanners and check all horses that are drug checked that would be great because it shifts the responsibility for scanning off the show management and onto USEF.

And of course, cheers to you.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Sooooooo Getting back on track.............

Back to the OP........... Why breeders don't always post sales prices on websites?
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

I don't post prices on my website and have never had any problems selling my youngsters. I also will give my clients two Bills of Sale - one with a price and one without. Bills of Sale have to be sent to the breed registry in order to transfer ownership of the horse and I happen to think the registry folks don't need to know how much money changed hands. My clients appreciate this as well.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also will give my clients two Bills of Sale - one with a price and one without. Bills of Sale have to be sent to the breed registry in order to transfer ownership of the horse and I happen to think the registry folks don't need to know how much money changed hands.
    I do this as well.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

I would say because breeders sell wholesale. We like it when great trainers buy from us, develop a horse and are able to make a profit on it. They become repeat buyers. Sometimes, a retail buyer comes to us. Those buyers bring trainers who expect commissions, so it becomes a retail sale. We don't know when we put a horse up for sale if it will be a straight sale to someone who doesn't require commissions or a sale where a commission must be added. In a perfect world, I think the commission should come from a check from the buyer to their trainer. I guess the world isn't perfect.... I have had top trainers, who have ridden for the U.S. tell me that unless the commission is paid from us, the buyer will not come through with it for them. They say the buyer expects them to "make it up in lessons/training." I think the trainer performs a great service for the buyer and one that is necessary for someone not knowledgeable or experienced enough to make the decision for themselves and I don't understand why the trainer cannot collect. What happens when straight-shooters like myself refuse to do that is the trainer takes the client elsewhere. I have had several instances where the buyer is given a wholesale price and says they are paying their trainer for their services. Once the trainer figures out that there is no backside commision coming their way, the deal always gets fouled. What happens then is they find another horse and the buyer probably gets less horse for their dollar. It is quite sad. Buyers allow this though by not paying their trainers for their services, by having the trainer negotiate price and distancing themselves from the seller, and by wanting retail services at a wholesale price. Most of us have bought realestate and paid for a building inspection. You take that information and use it to base your decision. You don't let the inspector make your decision and they certainly don't take over the finacial aspect of your transaction. Most horse buyers know more about horses than they know about buildings...... utilize and pay your respected professionals but don't throw the fox in the henhouse. We breeders just want our price, there is nothing sneaky about what our price is, just how many layers those you bring with you require. If we were to post "retail" pricing to include your commissions for you, we might price the horse out of the budget of someone who doesn't require commissions. Those knowledgeable people are our other best customers, they usually are the successful amateurs who will get our horses out and shown to the best advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    Sooooooo Getting back on track.............

Back to the OP........... Why breeders don't always post sales prices on websites?
    Nah, let's go back there for a bit.
    Do you own a horse named Adelaide HS?
    Fan of Sea Accounts

OK, beause of this thread, I decided to follow up on a lovely young horse who was listed without a price. Got back the reply that this was a special horse and his price was at the top end of the range for horses of his age.

HUH?

He was a newly turned 3 year old. I am not sure what the entire price range is, but the top end I have seen is $22,000. Fine, if that is what they are asking, so why not tell me? All I can figure out is that they don't want to sell him to every Tom, Joe or Harry, so they are hedging their on their price.

Even if that is true, they could have replied with a price which would be likely to discourage the average buyer. This was not an ad, it was a direct communication.

Enough time wasting and game playing. I am back to only following up on ads with prices listed.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nls View Post
    I would say because breeders sell wholesale. . We don't know when we put a horse up for sale if it will be a straight sale to someone who doesn't require commissions or a sale where a commission must be added. .
    I think this is a big part of it. Breeders don't tend to make much (in fact, many breeders seem to subsidize the rest of the horse industry). So when someone comes along, and there is one or two commissions involved, the trainers win, the buyer wins, and the breeder loses. I've always wondered about commissions - why does someone get 10% just for suggesting someone go look at a horse?

And Nancy, like you, I've had trainers get involved part way through and "muck it up". They always have a "better horse" for the buyer unless we give in and agree to pay the trainer.

OTOH, I"ve also had buyers who come in with their trainer and are paying their own trainer (which seems to me to be the way it SHOULD work), and everything goes great.

I list my sales prices, and most of the time, that works out great. Every once in a while, I run into the commissions problem.

2 members found this post helpful.

agree with Mystic Oak and nls generally speaking.... Lord Helpus - I can't believe that they wouldn't give you a price after you called them?? "Upper Range" means so many different things to different people. Case in point - a 3-year old dressage horse was recently bought by a fairly well-known rider in the US for the small sum of around $300K!! I would definitely call that "upper range" ...
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

This thread really makes me think.. I as others have stated eliminate the "Private Treaty" and "Call for Price" horses right away when searching I am convinced that they want more than I will be able to afford and I dont want to waist anyone's time. I actually dont mind a price range though I admit to hoping It is more on the lower end of the range. I think in the future I will try to be more open to inquiring as some have said they dont feel that this is a bother and I would actually like to be "interviewed" by the seller. I am hoping if a seller finds out more about me and my plans/ abilities and that they will be selling to some one who is going to show and advance their young horse that that will put a nice horse into a price range I can afford.
    Thank you for the honest info...
    Its the Journey not the Destination.

I once called on a middle-aged out of work dressage horse listed in the COTH magazine ads with no price. We talk, I ask owner the price. Owner says 35. I say hundred?, she says THOUSAND! I don't inquire about horses with no price any longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    OK, because of this thread, I decided to follow up on a lovely young horse who was listed without a price. Got back the reply that this was a special horse and his price was at the top end of the range for horses of his age.

HUH?

He was a newly turned 3 year old. I am not sure what the entire price range is, but the top end I have seen is $22,000. Fine, if that is what they are asking, so why not tell me? All I can figure out is that they don't want to sell him to every Tom, Joe or Harry, so they are hedging their on their price.

Even if that is true, they could have replied with a price which would be likely to discourage the average buyer. This was not an ad, it was a direct communication.

Enough time wasting and game playing. I am back to only following up on ads with prices listed.
    Well that is just .... nuts! And I think you did inquire about one of my colts?? If I'm thinking correctly, then other than timing, I think the price was ok right?
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Case in point - a 3-year old dressage horse was recently bought by a fairly well-known rider in the US for the small sum of around $300K!! I would definitely call that "upper range" ...
    OMG, all I can say is And then - yes, I'd say that is UPPER range.

I've always felt - if I have to ask the price, odds are I can't afford it...

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Well that is just .... nuts! And I think you did inquire about one of my colts?? If I'm thinking correctly, then other than timing, I think the price was ok right?

Yes, I did.... Damn the timing. I have found a lovely horse who will be vetted next week. Fingers crossed; I am really excited. (And, yes, his price was quoted in his ad.)
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC View Post
    Nah, let's go back there for a bit.
    Do you own a horse named Adelaide HS?
    Yes I do.
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions