The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going Cold Turkey (from Horses)

I am suffering serious withdrawal symptoms. I have not even seen a horse for over a month now, ever since I moved to Atlanta. Yes, there are barns, but I have no way to get to any of them.
    I have been hoping to volunteer with one of the local therapeutic riding programs, but the closest one seems to have gone out of business (at least the director of it never takes calls or returns them).
    I was also hoping to be able to participate as a rider in one of the programs but, again, have no way to even get to the barn.

Anyone else suffering from horsey withdrawal? Depressed? Having horsey dreams?

Someone where I live keeps saying "Use it or lose it" and I want to scream back "I WANT TO USE IT BUT I CAN'T!" And I feel I'm about to "lose it" in more ways than one.

Can I be the only one?

Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

luckily, i'm back riding now, but in the past i've had some horseless stints. i definitely think being without a horse (whether it's someone else's you can come visit, or your own) takes a toll on people who enjoy being around animals, and more specifically, horses. i believe being around horses again has improved my mood and health from when i was going through my horseless phase, and is pushing me to continue to do better - riding wise, horsemanship wise, health wise, and etc. one day i'd love to own again, since i think horse ownership can be one of the most rewarding things ever.

that was a bit of an unsolicited ramble, but what i'm trying to get at is, i've been there and it totally sucks. are there no other places on a transit route? or a transit route at all? is there a horse-related forum, or even craigslist, where you could post something to see if perhaps a place you haven't heard of would be interested in you coming out? do you have any friends that could spare you a lift to/from the barn in exchange for a few bucks, even if you only got to go horse-visiting every couple weeks?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

BTDT. It sucks and I'm sorry . I used to push through with occasional horse related outings, even if I was just going to help out at the university equestrian club shows, or to watch a clinic. Also, get creative. I discovered one of the easiest, and surprisingly most affordable, ways to ride during university was to play polo! There are always polo ponies who need exercising as long as you can prove you're competent (to exercise you don't have to be a superstar polo player, just know what you're doing around horses).

Getting outside does help, even if horses aren't involved. Hiking trips were another thing that got me through my non horsey stints. Try to see it as an opportunity to do something you've never done before. I also spent time volunteering with an organization I was really passionate about, and tried a new sport - rugby! It was all great fun and I'm glad I gave myself the opportunity to try something new. I met some amazing people along the way who I'd never had met if I hadn't taken that first step away from the barn.

Hang in there, and good luck!

PS...get thyself a bus timetable and a bike. Transport = solved. I can't imagine the public transport in Atlanta is that bad!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I hear you. I went from riding every day to now living smack-dab in the middle of Manhattan. Watching videos on YouTube and streaming live events from USEFNetwork helps a lot.

I also actively seek out police horses on the street, if only for that warm, horsey smell.

I'm also lucky in that my horse lives out in the 'burbs and is leased to a wonderful lady who lets me come obsess over/ride him once every couple of months- it's pretty much all I have time for, anyway. If transportation is an issue, look into a Zipcar... even if it's just to get out to a barn for an afternoon. Could very well be worth it.

I am trying to go cold turkey, but my horse just keeps finding me again.

RW06: I was in Boston several years ago for over two months, away from everything in my life and stressed to the max. I happened upon two mounted policemen, standing by their horses, taking a break. I joined the small cluster of people who gathered to ask to pet their horses. When it was my turn I put my whole face into the horse's neck and inhaled slowly. The policeman cracked up and said "Ladies and gentlemen, you just wanted to touch the horse. This lady is a HORSEWOMAN!" It was a high compliment!

2 members found this post helpful.

Me. Sold my horse in October, haven't ridden or been around a horse since. It's freakin depressing. The HIGHLIGHT of my winter so far was coming home the other night, and the neighbor's mini was out wandering down the road. I caught him while DH went to knock on the owner's door. I got to whuffle noses and give his fluffy self scritches. It was awesome. I'm pitiful
    I don't really have any local horsey friends that I'm in contact with, and even if I did, I don't have time to really commit, except for the occasional weekend ride. Can't afford to go take a lesson at a random barn. I seriously think that if I got on a horse right now, I would be a hot mess trying to ride properly. I try to "ride" in my mind when I'm steering the car, perching on a stool, etc. Hey, you gotta do what you can, right?

You live not far from Chastain Stables. At Chastain Park right in north Atlanta. Go over there and see if they want someone to volunteer. There was a horse from here that was living there a decade ago. And what's the good barn over in NE Dekalb? We warmbloods forget the name, but there's Vogt or something like that, a stable over there where someone we know took lessons.

Also contact GERL, Georgia Equine Rescue League, which we think has changed its name, and see what is going on around Atlanta where they might need your help.

The barn that was on Peachtree-Dunwoody Road just inside Fulton County closed a long time ago and the fields are not McMansions and the soccer fields. But go a little further north and there are some barns around Roswell and Alpharetta. And MARTA goes there.
    Also, check with the Atlanta Police. Their barn used to be in Piedmont Park, then moved over to Grant Park near the Zoo, then closed down. But aren't the horses up and running again? We bet they'd like to have volunteers help out there.

If you were closer to us, we'd let you groom and clean. Well one of us would, the other doesn't like to be cleaned up.

RWO6, why don't you go down to the Pier where the NYPD horses are stalled, and ask if you can volunteer? Or go to where the NY Park police keep their horses, and volunteer there. The NYPD and the Park police horses are in different divisions, but may be stabled near each other.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    RWO6, why don't you go down to the Pier where the NYPD horses are stalled, and ask if you can volunteer? Or go to where the NY Park police keep their horses, and volunteer there. The NYPD and the Park police horses are in different divisions, but may be stabled near each other.
    Great suggestion, WWW! Thanks!

wellspotted You know where we are.... Would you like to go for a trail ride or a drive this week?

Jill
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Wellspotted- Long shot but... My son lives near piedmont park/GA Tech - if you can get to his house, you are welcome to spend the weekend here (he plans to come home from GA tech this weekend and you could hitch a ride) I will be driving my husband to the airport sunday afternoon and can drop you off along the I75 route - within a mile from the freeway. 770-735-1549

The only lthing is I don't know if my kiddo plans to drive up Friday evening or Sat morning...
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Great of you to offer Cielo Azure. OP can take MARTA right down to that area and meet up with your son.

And your horses are nice and big, so she can get a lot of horse-loving on them this weekend.