The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Glad your mare's better!

I love boarding. Today I am going out to pet my horse, make sure his blankey is still warm enough, and drop off a check for the farrier. I plan to not return until the temperature gets to 15, at least.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

I dont mind winter so much until my nostrils freeze partly shut when i inhale. Hate that!
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

3 members found this post helpful.

Love boarding in winter. I go and empty their cold buckets about half way and fill with hot water, make sure they're OK, watch them drink, and I get to leave. It's about 25 mins each way and I'm not there very long, but it's worth the peace of mind knowing they're drinking.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

Today, when it was -24 degrees this morning and I was out there cleaning stalls after keeping them inside last night. No frozen water because I have heated buckets, but I do have to carry the buckets to the stalls from the water spigot that is about 50 feet away.

But, my savings account thanks me for not boarding...much cheaper to keep them at home!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Funny, it was at the boarding barn when his water froze that he got colicky. At home, where he is in/out 24/7 with constant access to heated water, he has been (knock on wood) much better.

Suckerforhorses I feel your pain I also have to walk 50+ feet to my water spigot!! Though there is a closer one, you have to walk up a hill so by the time you reach the stall you only have about half a bucket and I am the type that scrubs buckets twice a day so a hose is out !!! Filling the 100 gallon tank in the pasture at the bottom of my 1/2 mile driveway in the winter isn't fun!! In the summer isn't a problem, it takes 3, 100ft hoses, but since they don't freeze it's not a problem, but in the winter it's a PITA to get water down there !!!

When it's in the single digits, a horse is on twice a day IV meds and it's freezing while it's going in. We had to rig up a wamer box for the IV bag. But then, if I wasn't doing it myself, it would have cost a fortune to pay someone to do it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    I dont mind winter so much until my nostrils freeze partly shut when i inhale. Hate that!
    I hate when my contacts turn into little ice cubes in my eyes !

Default Ten good things about single digit or below zero temps and windchills.

1. Kills the bugs
    2. Frozen clump wet spot in stalls easy to find and remove
    3. ummmmmmmmmmmm.........
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    1. Kills the bugs
    2. Frozen clump wet spot in stalls easy to find and remove
    3. ummmmmmmmmmmm.........
    I'm with yah on the first one !!

I think the poop balls are lighter in the manure fork when they're frozen....

The poop balls are lighter but I hate it when I break my pitchfork trying to get them off the mats... And that the grain freezes and when I drop a 5 gallon ice cube on my foot and then drop the other bucket of ice on my other foot !!! Rant over.

Yep that freeze-drying lightens them up. I keep a hair dryer in the barn and if my hands get cold before chores are done, i take my gloves off and blast them with hot air. Good to go for a few more minutes !

Most of the time my hands will stay warm just wearing those cheap brown cotton throwaway gloves you get at the feed store, but when it drops to single digits i get frozen fingers. The better heavier insulated gloves are sometimes too bulky and i wear them out doing chores anyway, so cheapies and the hair dryer work for me !

It's so hard to get out of the warrrrm bed to go out in the 11 degree weather to do hay and water. Especially since work has been closed the past two days due to snow.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I am not looking forward to going out for morning chores today, the high is 9.... It's currently 0... I am seriously considering asking my farrier to put studs in my boots because it's not fair that the horses get to walk around with minimal slippage !!!
    ---------
    OP -- Instead of studs, consider Yaktrax. They're great for ice and snow; just be careful not to get vegetation tangled in them.

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

My horses are kept at my parents' farm which is about a 20 minute drive from where I live. I do not "board" them here, I still have to be there twice a day to take care of them, every day, year-round.

I have to leave my house by 5:30 AM and let me say...I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON. Shower, dress, grab a coffee, bundle up in multiple layers. Drive 20 minutes to the farm.

Roll out of my truck, trudge to the barn, fill hay nets, hang nets, check water.

Run to the house and hitch a ride to work with my parents, who work in the same town as I do, another 30 minute drive further away from where I actually live.

Work all day.

Go to gym on the way home.

Catch ride back to the farm (where my truck still is) from a friend who also goes to the same gym and has to drive by said farm on her way home.

Get to farm, rebundle in my winter clothes because now my underclothes are sweaty from the gym.

Trudge to the barn. Repeat same chores.

If the horses were in overnight as they have been for the past three nights thanks to the temperatures being subzero and double digits, I then have to clean the stalls and wrestle the wheelbarrow to the manure pile, dump water buckets & refill if they are coming back in that night (from spigot that is 50 feet away in blustering winds), refill hay nets & either hang in stalls or outside depending on if they are in or out for the night, mix up mare's alfalfa mash, bring horses inside. If they are staying in, I'm done; if they are going out for the night, I have to wait for maresy to finish her meal, then turn them back out.

Jump in truck, drive the 20 minutes home, peel off all my layers, and cook dinner. I get to eat around 8:30 which makes for a very long day when my alarm went off at 4:45 AM...

If the horses are out, routine is easy...hay...water...feed maresy her alfalfa and put her back out, goodnight ponies!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Pondpony, I have tryed many different booties with studs in them, they are a pain in the butt to put on and they don't stay on. I have artic sport muck boots, they have little knobs on the bottom so you aren't standing on concreat or ice so I could have my farrier screw the studs into the knobs...

Quote Originally Posted by Jumperrider55 View Post
    Pondpony, I have tryed many different booties with studs in them, they are a pain in the butt to put on and they don't stay on. I have artic sport muck boots, they have little knobs on the bottom so you aren't standing on concreat or ice so I could have my farrier screw the studs into the knobs...
    I use the Yaktrax Pro. They have a strap that secures them to your boots and keeps them in place. They are spendy, but they last forever, and the strap can be used on the cheaper Yaktrax when you need to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    I use the Yaktrax Pro. They have a strap that secures them to your boots and keeps them in place. They are spendy, but they last forever, and the strap can be used on the cheaper Yaktrax when you need to replace.
    Duh, forgot to add this:

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Pro-Tr.../dp/B001CZJBKC

Thanks IFG, if my amazing farrier says no to putting studs in my boots I might have to try them...