The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hanoverian Free to Good Home - OHIO

Very sweet, older warmblood gelding for free to good home. Loves to free jump, lunge or ground drive, but cannot be ridden. Gets along with anyone in the pasture, easy to handle and very polite. Very easy keeper, no health issues, does not wear shoes, and doesn't eat a lot. Nice horse, but due to a previous traumatic situation cannot be ridden. Please email if you have more questions. MUST be a great home.

Please read (and reread) the tips on how to evaluate prospective homes. Tough to find homes for these horses without the risk of them ending up on the truck to slaughter. Horses are expensive to keep and unrideable horses are vulnerable to neglect. I spoke with a friend recently who let one of her retirees go to a friend-of-a-friend as a pasture pal. When he came back, he hadn't had his feet done in six months (real bad for the ringbone) and he was 200 lbs underweight. Because he wasn't "in work"... Just be careful.

5 members found this post helpful.

JanWeber, thanks for your concern. I am confident in my ability to find an appropriate home for this horse, although I am sure it may take some time. I have rescued and rehomed quite a few horses in the past, and am in contact with all of their owners on a regular basis. I'm just reaching out on COTH because, as you mentioned, it's not easy to find the right person these days.