The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default STARVING Thoroughbreds in Louisiana

Ryder River Ridge Farm has been starving horses. They surrendered starving mares in March of 2012 but they were not the only victims. Eighteen young horses were surrendered this month and 2 died. Now a larger group has been surrendered after a heliocopter flight over the farm showed many more starving horses + dead ones. According to one source 5 more have died at the farm. www.lahorserescue.com and Remember Me Horse Rescue are involved in saving the horses. They are both on Facebook.

3 members found this post helpful.

That's what slot machines at the tracks get you. The very ugliest of humanity. This is horrifying. I've been following on FB and will send a bit when I can. It HAS been heartening to see how the right people are involved to remedy the situation.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Sadly there were ugly people doing things like this way before slots became an issue anywhere. This guy's father sounds (sounds) like an OK guy but his son, not so much. Anyway he was raised in the racing world and I don't know that he's a youngster either so I don't think slots have anything to do with his being an a**hat.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've sent a bit and will send more next paycheck. Colt 60 really got to me bad, and poor little Billy needs to be at a vet clinic sooner rather than later. I wonder why the racing industry press is ignoring this? Someone said Paulick Report had it up but I couldn't find it...??

ETA: Never mind, I found the Paulick Report piece. But the question stands as to why no further coverage.
    Last edited by War Admiral; Jan. 25, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

1 members found this post helpful.

I sent my donation in this morning. So glad they got Billy back upright.

Me too. I'm sure it's difficult just plain PAIN-wise for him to get up by himself, poor little thing!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The LA State Police have stopped pressing the issue and the local sheriff is saying nothing is wrong. This is a disaster and none of the TB sites (outside of this one) is running the story and I know for a fact the JC has been contacted regarding the situation.

We've been trying to get mainstream media interested and so far nothing, with the Sheriff now being uncooperative we have a lot harder road for these horses.

It's been discussed in two different areas of tb champions as well as other sites. The stewards at delta downs are aware, but can't do anything regarding Ryder's trainers license. Donna Keen has been busting her butt to get the word out and is making some headway. I am hoping that these small waves will turn into a tsunami that rolls over all the good ol boys involved in this bs.

If y'all know anyone we can help contact, post the info please!

People seem to respond to Facebook so hopefully donations will start. I know Leg Up got donations through a stallion auction recently in regards to horses in Ca. in need so perhaps those who own stallions will donate their services for these horses as well. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    It's been discussed in two different areas of tb champions as well as other sites. The stewards at delta downs are aware, but can't do anything regarding Ryder's trainers license. Donna Keen has been busting her butt to get the word out and is making some headway. I am hoping that these small waves will turn into a tsunami that rolls over all the good ol boys involved in this bs.
    That is too bad. I was able to get someone's trainer's license taken away for several years here in Maryland for starving a horse whose knee was shattered. Total asshattery on his part but doesn't hold a candle to what this guy has done.

What?! Maryland's racing guidelines state that any abuse regardless of location will result in loss of license and privileges.. i.e... any trainer holding a license if found guilty of neglect would lose their license. Whether it be at a farm, private property, etc.

How are they not pressing charges? LA law enforcement really doesn't think that's wrong???
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

There's a lot of cronyism and covering up going on, from what I understand. Keep notifying the racing publications. It's scandalous that this is not getting more coverage.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Louisiana is corrupt from top to bottom and everywhere in between.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

True, but that's no excuse for the lack of naming-and-shaming that should be raining down on them from everywhere else!

Interesting article in the local paper today - you can read it if you go to remember me rescues fb page. It gives a brief history of the past year and says that the state police demanded that the sheriff arrest Ryder and he refused because Ryder has been "trying" to make things better in the last year. It also says that there were 150 horses on the property last January. Ryder has surrendered 47 to rescues and there are56 still on the farm. So the other 57 are ???? What a bunch of bull - oh and Ryder and the DA are neighbors, go figure

Here is a copy of the article (you have to log in to read it)

Sheriff comments on abused horses at Williams Avenue farm
    Jan 26, 2013 | 22 views | 0 | 4 | |
    Sheriff Victor Jones Jr. said Thursday that his office has been investigating complaints of animal abuse at Ryder’s River Ridge Horse farm for over a year and have been working with the son of the owner to improve conditions there.

Jones said in January of 2012 his office received a complaint of abuse at the farm on Williams Avenue. River Ridge is owned by Firal Ryder and the horses have been in the care of his son, Clay, since his father is in a nursing home.

After getting the complaint, Jones assigned Dep. Rob Walsworth to the case. Walsworth visited the farm and found some horses in poor condition. Walsworth arranged for visits by a state veterinarian and representatives of the La. Brand Commission. After that, Jones said that Clay Ryder began working with officials to improve the conditions and began taking some of the original 150 horses to rescue facilities.

Jones said there were 150 thoroughbred horses on 60 acres at the farm, an area too small to support that number of horses.

Walsworth made about 20 visits to the farm during the last year with the last one being Dec. 8. “Some of the horses were down in weight but there was nothing alarming,” Jones said. “And Clay was working with Rob and did everything we asked him to do.”

Jones said there was one dead horse on the farm but he had no way of knowing what killed the horse.

Jones said the furor over the conditions at the farm escalated last week when members of a horse rescue group, Remember Me Rescue, began calling his office about the conditions.

The group also began an e-mail and social media awareness campaign about conditions at the farm. In an e-mail they wanted Clay Ryder charged with “a felony count for every dead horse and cruelty charges for every other horse.”

Jones said that over the weekend, a La. State Police helicopter flew over the farm. La. State Police then met with Jones and Walsworth and requested they arrest Ryder. Jones said he told them he would not arrest Ryder because of his past cooperation.

He said Ryder then contacted attorney Bill West and on Tuesday they met with Jones and Assistant District Attorney Billy Joe Harrington. The result was that they gave Ryder another 30 days to improve the conditions and step up the efforts to get rid of the horses, to which Ryder agreed.

“He put out more hay on Wednesday and he’s trying to get rid of the horses,” Jones said. “We told him to take care of it or we will arrest him.”

Jones said Ryder inherited too many horses to take care of and should have taken better care of the horses than he did.

Jones said he believes the horses are being better cared for now and believes Ryder will take more action. “I owe it to him to be fair. After all his cooperation over the past year, I wasn’t going to hastily get a warrant. He’s making progress.”

Jones said there are about 57 horses left at the farm.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Wow what a crock of bull.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Quote Originally Posted by doublete View Post
    Wow what a crock of bull.
    Double sized crock and super stinky on the bull!
    If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein

Breaks my heart to see these guys. I'm glad they have a chance at a fat, happy future. If I had a farm 2010 Filly 52 and yearling Filly 303 would be headed my way. They are both seriously tugging at my heartstrings-I have an intense desire to drive to LA just to give them scritches.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique