The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fitted hunter pads -- will my Fleeceworks shrink?

I just got a new Fleeceworks pad, which shows a bit more pad around the edge of my saddle than I prefer. I like a very minimalist look for my fitted show pads! If I wash the Fleeceworks on delicate with Melp in my front loader, and air dry, will it draw up a tiny bit? I want it to.

Trying to decide whether to go down a size. I have an old one that did draw up a bit, but I don't know if it is M or S.
    friend of bar.ka

Yes, it will shrink a tiny bit. At least my Fleeworks half pad did.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

yes, it will.

But if you have MY luck, you will carefully read the instructions which say "buy this size for your saddle" and it will promptly shrink too much. That would be the full expensive show pad thank you very much. It will also shrink in such a way so tht the back of the saddle is on the roll and that would be the very last thing you want to be elevated on this particular horse. It's an even more disconcerting feeling when his 4 year old greenie self would get a hump in his back after his first fence in the schooling ring (embracing his inner James Brown... I feel GOOOD, but I knew that I would!)

So when you go to buy a half pad mostly for not showing, you will ignore the instructions and buy the next size up and wait for it to shrink. Then you will throw it in the dryer on super low for 10 minutes and beg it to shrink. You might even get to the point where you will use warm water and possibly even fully dry it like it was a cheap old cotton baby pad (OK, it's possible you forgot it was in that load). But still, not enough shrink. And then you will be bothered every time your OCD self tacks up your horse by that extra amount of "non-roll" that sticks out behind the cantle.

Or maybe that's just me.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

6 members found this post helpful.

DMK, you are no help at all!!!! That is exactly where I am with it. Stay with this size and hopes it shrinks or get the next one down and hope it doesn't! And yes, it is show pad, so I am going to be fussy about it!

Maybe I like your full pad story better than the half pad one!
    friend of bar.ka

If it helps the saddle in question is a 17 butet with a 2 flap - the flatter seat... If you had a 17'5 butet I think the larger size would probably work out and if you had a 16'5 the medium fleeceworks might work out. Does that help? I plead the 5th on all other saddles.

(as Nines looks at her 17" butet and chucks something heavy at her PC)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

That does help DMK. It's a 17.5 Tad with flat seat, but measures smaller. I think I will stick with the medium not large since it is already roomy. And hope your full pad story holds for me. Hate lots of pad around the saddle. Says the same thing as "show bow" to me. Will report back with update after washing. Maybe as a disguised for sale ad????
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

good luck! And to be fair when I was riding Mr. Shark Fin Withers, the back of the saddle sitting on the roll didn't bother me at all (I'm pretty sure it's on the horse in my profile pic). link to larger pic

It only drove me insane when I was riding the young horse who was either:
    a) Totally Tubular
    b) mutton withered
    c) butt high
    d) all of the above

during a good chunk of his 3 year old year, and just needed a really close contact with a little rise in the front maybe in his 4 year old year. At 6 he's much more Tb in his body shape so it might not be so bad except in my head it's now awful.

Pretty picture DMK. That pad looks good to me, I will hope mine draws up a little and fits about like that.
    friend of bar.ka