The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    A bit of a hijack, but BetterOffRed, was the clinician's comment your first inkling that your horse didn't have international quality gaits?
    Do I think my horse is Totilas or expect anyone to blow hot air up my horse's tail? No, absolutely not! We are what we are, he is a nice horse...good enough mover. I just didn't appreciate the comments at the time because I felt that they were being made at our expense to pump someone else up and they do/did have a very nice horse...but then again, I don't want to highjack my own thread...

I am very appreciative of all of the very insight. We will be ready to go for the clinic! I am out of practice, as I haven't cliniced with anyone in 2 years much less someone of Mr. Schumacher's caliber.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

If the OP had made it clear that she was headed for the international scene then fine if the comment was made.

If the OP paid for a clinic like the rest of us schlubs expecting to learn on the horse she has, then it was rude and personally I would have treated it as the knee slapper it was.

There are a ton of people at the top level who are down to earth and have some tact left even off the horse Human beings still exist even if its not to be assumed by the dressage crowd.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    ugggghh.....unfortunately, I've had the displeasure of having a clinician (not famous but one I respect), compare my horses to another student's ubermover, "he doesn't have international quality gaits like so and so..." after I pulled the dagger out of my heart, I consoled myself with the fact my horse doesn't flip over at horse shows or anywhere else for that matter. But it still stung!

So?
    It was probably true.
    My horse doesn't have international quality gaits either.

Am I supposed to go to clinics trying to delude everyone else into thinking he does? It seems a lost battle.

I'm more than happy to show up to learn how to ride, as well as possible, what I've got. I don't really care if the clinician points out obvious things, such as that my horse is chestnut, is not doing PSG like other 8 year olds, needs to take the contact more forward, and does not have 9 gaits, and that I seem a bit tall for him, as long as he gives me and my horse his full fair training shake on the day.

Great, we don't have 9 gaits. Now teach us how to half pass for all we're worth. Look class, here's how to eke all you can out of a 7 mover, and out of your students that ride 7 movers. More than happy to be that guinea pig.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    That is just not true. Your horse can easily be outclassed. It's life in the world if competitive dressage. The thing about showing a horse with less potential/natural ability with the popular gaits and maybe less training is that it shouldn't matter to the rider/owner. You ride, compete, train, clinic, etc., knowing this basic fact and yet ride, train and compete your horse as if it's just as good as the others and then you and your horse can enjoy every ride.
    I beg to differ. I have been at shows where I have appeared to be "outclassed" until the competition's performance outclassed them. Had people openly laugh at me for the animal/s I came in with until I left with awards that they felt were automatically "theirs for the taking". So much for "outclassed".

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet
    That is just not true. Your horse can easily be outclassed. It's life in the world if competitive dressage. The thing about showing a horse with less potential/natural ability with the popular gaits and maybe less training is that it shouldn't matter to the rider/owner. You ride, compete, train, clinic, etc., knowing this basic fact and yet ride, train and compete your horse as if it's just as good as the others and then you and your horse can enjoy every ride.
    I beg to differ. I have been at shows where I have appeared to be "outclassed" until the competition's performance outclassed them. Had people openly laugh at me for the animal/s I came in with until I left with awards that they felt were automatically "theirs for the taking". So much for "outclassed".
    I think you are missing the point. Of course you can go to a show and have a better ride than other people expect. But any average AA or non-BNT can easily be outclassed at a show. You are fooling yourself if you don't think that is true. My very nice, cute moving horse is outclassed all the time when we go to bigger shows and ride against up-and-coming potential international level horses. Think I'm exaggerating? I've competed at shows where George Williams was on youngsters he was bringing along. I'd have to be blind or delusional to think we weren't completely outclassed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

^ Sillyhorse gets it!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I think the divide here is partly a matter of semantics. "Outclassed" may suggest a negative connotation that is not necessarilly intended by others who are just stating 'the facts" as they see them.

Clearly there's more to "class" than the quality of your horse's gaits. If we think otherwise, we're in danger of carrying a shoulder chip wherever we go and that will drain the fun out of everything. We all know people like that.

Point being, no need to feel 'outclassed' taking your horse to a CS clinic provided you are both fit for the work and open to learning. I thought that was the issue in this thread. It's not a competition, it's an opportunity to learn from one of the best. Leave the chip at home.

I ride a pony, albeit a very nice German Riding Pony, and have attended clinics where for sure I have been outclassed by professionals on far nicer horses. And I have had clinicians compliment the heck out of my pony (and occasionally me too) even though those other horses/pairs had better gaits, etc. My advice: take your horse, try to ride as well as you are able, and learn as much as you can. The rest is just background noise and only a distraction from the journey if you let it be.

I've audited a Conrad Schumacher clinic. I learned a ton, he was really nice and even said hi to me in the hallway. Very friendly, funny, and i took about eight pages of good, useful notes. There was no product-pushing -- I even didn't see any merchandise to buy and frankly I'm a shopaholic so I usually have radar for that stuff. There were a variety of riders on a variety of horses, and I remember one non-WB in particular that did great. I'll definitely audit again and if I ever have the chance to ride my own non-WB in a clinic with him, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I don't really object to somebody saying what quality of gaits the horse i'm riding has per se. It kind of depends on how the rest of the sentence goes. Like "This horse doesn't have international quality gaits like so-and-so, but he has a great work ethic, is ridden beautifully and will go far" is completely different than "This horse doesn't have international quality gaits like so-and-so, but these are the things you need to work on to maximize his athleticism and potential," which is in turn completely different from "This horse doesn't have international quality gaits like so-and-so, and you should give up, quit dressage now and take up a cheaper sport."

1 members found this post helpful.

Velvet, Silly Horse, and Suzier44 - you guys get it. Thanks again for all of your insight, it is really helpful and calming....

When you boil it down, it's an expensive (and likely very good) riding lesson, nothing more. Once you get in the ring, you will be concentrating on your horse and the instruction, so you won't have room in your brain to be nervous. Everyone I know who has ridden with Conrad has loved it. You will, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

1 members found this post helpful.

BOR - where was my update in all of this? Or my groom's invitation, for that matter??? You know how good I am with the redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    BOR - where was my update in all of this? Or my groom's invitation, for that matter??? You know how good I am with the redheads!
    YOU ARE A REDHEADED HORSE WHISPERER!!!! I am still waiting for my ride times....but I figured I would see your posse there since LTR is riding in the clinic. Will send you deets as soon as I get them, my bio will CRACK you up!!!! I managed NOT to use the phrase 'hot crockpot messes' !

I don't even know where the clinic is. There are only two LTR's going and I'm so out of the loop...

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    I don't even know where the clinic is. There are only two LTR's going and I'm so out of the loop...
    I will send you a FB PM later. will fill you in and you can tell me who is riding from LTR.

I'm also trying to find information on the clinic. I hope to be able to drive down this weekend and audit. Does anyone have a link? Also...any hotel recommendations?
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Wait. YOU are the person paying HIS bills! He is selling something, and you are purchasing it. Why would you want to PAY MONEY to ride with someone who you are afraid of, or was the calming down because you were so excited?

These are nothing but guys making a buck by teaching lessons. That's it. If they are rude, condescending, talk on their cell phones, whatever--take your money elsewhere.

Where is the clinic to be held?

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    I'm also trying to find information on the clinic. I hope to be able to drive down this weekend and audit. Does anyone have a link? Also...any hotel recommendations?
    We have a jam-packed clinic with the great Dressage Master, Conrad Schumacher coming up soon, February 2-3, 2013, at Bona B Ranch 1 hr SE of Dallas! There are a great mix of horses and riders at all levels, including Professionals, Amateurs, Junior/Young Riders, Young Horses to Schoolmasters, making this a very diverse group!

Saturday we will begin our day at 7:00am with the first of 12 riders. Lunch break will be from 11:45-12:45. Our Saturday will end at 5:30. Sunday we will begin our day at 6:30am with the first of 10 riders. Lunch will be at 11:00-11:30. Our Sunday will end at 2:30 so that Mr. Schumacher can catch his flight. Looking forward to another unbelievable weekend of learning from the Master himself, Conrad Schumacher! If you would like to join us please email kelly.underhill@aol.com for more information

ToN Farm-I am driving down from Oklahoma, and was wondering where the best place to stay would be? I don't want to have to drive too far to the hotel if the clinic is starting at 7 am!
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I find this sensitivity about your horse amusing.

You have decided to take your horse to ride with one of the premiere trainers in the dressage world. The best way to get the most out of it is to embrace his honest criticism. It sounds like you are already somewhat aware of your horse's limitations, why not get his input about how to work with them?

I recently rode with Paul Belasik. I took my older (21) mare who has been back in for for about 10 months after a year layup. We work our tails off to be ready and it was still a struggle for us fitness-wise. But he gave us great feed back. He said "This mare can really collect. She just needs to be fitter and frankly so do you." I lost a lot of weight several years ago and kept it off, run 2 miles a day and do a lot of yoga. But that was good input! It gave me motivation to run more and get a personal trainer. That and the exercises he gave us to work on mean we will be in the show ring sooner.

He didn't say what he said to be mean (and it wasn't, IMO), he said it to help us improve. And I'm glad he did.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.