The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone ridden with Conrad Schumacher- if so, calm me down

Hi Everyone,

Am looking into some insight on what to expect from a Conrad Schumacher clinic. I am familiar with his videos and I will be watching some stuff on youtube too.

I've been MIA for a while here on COTH. Anyway, decided to sign up for a local Conrad Schumacher clinic, in hopes to get me back in the "zone". I also thought it was something I could cross off my bucket list (train with an ODG ) and it is conveniently located to me and affordable.

I've recently lost about 50lbs, but I haven't been working with a trainer since this summer due to circumstances that include new job commitments, focusing on weight loss, etc. But my horse is fit and he is ready to go and I've been riding him regularly.

I am looking forward to the clinic, I am hoping to work on relaxation/submission (horse's part) and seat and position (my part) as I feel like it had been negatively affected due to my weight and I feel so different now.

I feel like my horse is a classic 6, in the words of Denny Emerson: can take him anywhere, good mind, good go button, good mover but must be ridden quietly with tact, good enough mover but can be a 5 in dressage...ughh. We are 2nd level, but really struggle with relaxation and harmony thing....

talked to an instructor who's seen him work, she said I wouldn't be outclassed (all trainers and professional amateurs riding $80K ubermovers), and she said that I'm comfortable enought with German system and am good at following directions, so I hope I don't embarrass either of us (me or my horse)!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I have audited several times. He used to come to our barn.

He is clear. Concise. Has great exercises. Have a great time.

1 members found this post helpful.

If there are mirrors in the arena, do not look at them while riding with him he hates that! Also, know renvers. I rode with Conrad as a young rider and I worked hard and learned so much from him. Have a great time! I am sure you will walk away pleased!
    Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Julie! My horse and I are renvers, travers, experts...he loves the lateral movements!!!!! and thank goodness, we are not big mirror watchers!

Thumbs up

LUcky You! Enjoy the clinic and please post your report afterwards.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

He's tough but fair. Lately, he's figured out how to market himself and his products, which is sort of annoying, but doesn't change the fact that he knows what he's talking about. He will PUSH you and your horse outside of your comfort zone if he thinks you can do more and can take the criticism.

You could be out classed, horse-wise, but that is not important. Especially if your horse has solid basics and a good attitude, and if you're fit and ready to ride hard and do what he tells you to do.

Enjoy!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I have not ridden with Conrad (or anyone fancy for that matter) but you will not be embarrassed or outclassed. If you show up polished professional and workmanlike, it's all good. You are paying him for his knowledge, and while you want to show respect, the idea that you'd ever be outclassed or embarrassed shouldn't even cross your mind! Only in the horse world...

A happy pair working hard, a well behaved horse of any breed or talent, a tidy rider trying to do his/her best, is never outclassed!

10 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    I have not ridden with Conrad (or anyone fancy for that matter) but you will not be embarrassed or outclassed. If you show up polished professional and workmanlike, it's all good. You are paying him for his knowledge, and while you want to show respect, the idea that you'd ever be outclassed or embarrassed shouldn't even cross your mind! Only in the horse world...

A happy pair working hard, a well behaved horse of any breed or talent, a tidy rider trying to do his/her best, is never outclassed!
    That is just not true. Your horse can easily be outclassed. It's life in the world if competitive dressage. The thing about showing a horse with less potential/natural ability with the popular gaits and maybe less training is that it shouldn't matter to the rider/owner. You ride, compete, train, clinic, etc., knowing this basic fact and yet ride, train and compete your horse as if it's just as good as the others and then you and your horse can enjoy every ride.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

ugggghh.....unfortunately, I've had the displeasure of having a clinician (not famous but one I respect), compare my horses to another student's ubermover, "he doesn't have international quality gaits like so and so..." after I pulled the dagger out of my heart, I consoled myself with the fact my horse doesn't flip over at horse shows or anywhere else for that matter. But it still stung!

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    ugggghh.....unfortunately, I've had the displeasure of having a clinician (not famous but one I respect), compare my horses to another student's ubermover, "he doesn't have international quality gaits like so and so..." after I pulled the dagger out of my heart, I consoled myself with the fact my horse doesn't flip over at horse shows or anywhere else for that matter. But it still stung!
    I havent ridden but have audited ... unless he has really changed I would not expect that kind of comment. He works with the pair and may compare to your ride the previous day but not unkindly to another.

He brings exercises and energy. Be ready to work, clear about your goals and open-minded about his strategies ... Personally I have never had FUN riding with a BNT but I have always come away enriched.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I'm jealous! Have a great time....
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

As far as "classless" goes, a teacher with class will not insult a student or the horse. If a teacher does, then you have to blow it off and consider the source. Just my humble opinion.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm jealous! He is definitely someone I would want to ride with. Please post a clinic report - and congrats on your weight loss!
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

After you pulled the dagger out of your heart, you should have stabbed the clinician with it...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

18 members found this post helpful.

Learn to laugh this giant laugh when someone does that to you. Laugh and laugh and wipe the tears away after before responding with a shrug and trotting off.

People dont know what to do with themselves when their opinion suddenly does not matter!

Anyway please report back Id love to know how it went! LUCKY!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

Have audited him several times, he really is a genius! I don't think he's one for comparing your horse in a severely derogatory way, but I know what Velvet is trying to say. We just had him in our neck of the woods & there were VERY good riders/horses in the clinics. Your average ammy usually doesn't get a space in his clinics. Be prepared to have your stirrups taken away...at least he ALWAYS did that for our Young Riders clinics for at least a portion of the ride....have fun and please report back...

agree with Dune. I would not ride in his clinics right now but that is just where I am right now ---the clinics I have seen are for YR/pro/$$ ammy horses. I have not seen him teach non-fancy horses so I can't comment.

He works on basics and I have gotten a lot out of the times I have seen him. He works people HARD but there is progress.

My friend's pony is regularly in clinics with Conrad in both fall and spring. I have the nice smaller trailer rather than the behemoth with living quarters, so I trailer him and watch a few rides each day.

From what I have seen, Conrad focuses on the horse and rider in front of him, identifying what needs each has on that particular day. The focus in the many rides I have watched (horses from First to Grand Prix) has been on directly on the horse and indirectly on the rider. These are definitely "training sessions" and not "riding lessons".

He will make comments about tack and the horse, where appropriate. For example, a few years ago the pony was just being ridden with a cavesson, no flash. Conrad said he needs something more, so the flash was added. Last year I gave my friend a pony drop noseband for her b-day, and Conrad commented that he preferred the drop to the flash, and then said it needed to be fit slightly higher. He also commented on some bite marks the horse had from his turnout buddy, asking "What happened here"?

He also commented that this pony, who was at that time working on Third and Fourth level things, should be in shoes. His comment was with the bigger horses this helps them push off from their hindlimbs, and it should help with the pony, too.

Other than functional things, he didn't comment on anyone's turnout. Well-fitting and functional tack and apparel are the order of the day. I did not see or hear him trying to sell or promote any products.

My favorite Conrad memory was during a dinner discussion about the US government. His views on things non-horse-related are fun!

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    After you pulled the dagger out of your heart, you should have stabbed the clinician with it...
    A bit of a hijack, but BetterOffRed, was the clinician's comment your first inkling that your horse didn't have international quality gaits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

A bit of a hijack, but BetterOffRed, was the clinician's comment your first inkling that your horse didn't have international quality gaits?
    Yeah, Way over the top responses to the clinician's observation. How was it an insult if factual? OP herself says her horse is a "6".