The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Electric Winches for Gooseneck Trailer

Who here has an electric winch for their gooseneck? I have been thinking for sometime that it would be *really* nice to have. Who has one, who wishes they had one, and is it worth the money? How much did yours cost? Thanks.

I wish we had one put on when we had the trailer built. The more creaky I get, the harder it is to crank that baby up & down.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I've had electric (slower) and hydraulic (quicker). A lot like indoor plumbing...not truly necessary, but once you have it, you will NEVER be willing to be without it again!!! I get one on every trailer, so I don't know what they cost to retrofit. It will be WORTH EVERY PENNY!

I prefer just a regular every day wench

2 members found this post helpful.

I just ordered one on my new trailer. I hemmed and hawed about the price though. It was around 1K. But, I am glad I spent the money. Apparently there are others you can buy for less and retrofit your trailer. if you look on www.horsetrailerworld.com they have one they did revews on. But, when I priced it out, it came out to be a little less than 1K but with installation it was like $1400. The price also depends on the size of your trailer like if you have to go hydralic versus electric.

I am glad I spent the money, it's definitely a luxury. If I had a gooseneck trailer that didnt have it, at some point, I would probably retrofit it.

duplicate post ..
    Last edited by rocky213; Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: duplicate post

the hydraulic hitch on my GN LQ trailer is by far my favorite feature... love love love it!

Default I LOVE MINE

had it put on when I got my new 4 star. I think it was a $700 extra. More than worth it. Really, really worth it.

Um, it's a jack isn't it? A winch is something totally different. We've had a lot of hydraulic stuff on boats and once you've got the hydraulic version it's mighty tough to go back to grunt power.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

the hydraulic jack on my LQ is a must. No way I can crank up a 10' LQ. I managed the 4' LQ, but no way on the big boy LOL. It's worth every penny.

If you are referring to jacks, I have them on a fifth wheel (37', & 16k lbs) and they're great.

We got a Sears winch in the trailer for pulling carriages inside. Works great, has been moved from truck to trailer and then to another trailer. I LIKE IT A LOT, sure saves the work of pushing carriage uphill. One of those Mother's Day gifts
    that you just smile to use, every time you get it out. Got a SECOND winch for the other horse trailer for the same purpose.

Never had hydraulic jacks on the horse trailer, but I don't consider them winches either.

Guess OP needs to be specific about wanting a jack or winch on their trailer, what use they want it for.

I MISS the wench, but she is only available now and again, as she has gotten older. Wish they had Minions you could purchase, could use half a dozen!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Winches? You mean the jack? If so, we have hydraulic jack. Trying to jack up one by hand once convinced me that when we ordered our goose-neck trailer, it would be one of the "must-have": get one, or stick with the cheap ass bumper pull, was my resolve. lol. Young folks with well lubricated joints might not mind. My old joints protest too much.

Haha, glad some folks beat me to it. I was stumped as to why someone would want a winch on their trailer. Maybe so they could drag it to their truck if they didn't have reverse?? LOL!

They are nice to have (except when the battery is dead or otherwise stops working), although I am poor, practical and strong since my job is very physical (sadly, also have messed up joints and arthritis), so it's pretty easy to crank up the jack by hand. The key is keeping it well greased and taking your time.
    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
    We Are Flying Solo