The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Critique this Potential Event Prospect!

Looking at this gal as a potentially purchase, 3 yr old Thoroughbred cross! Let me know what you think

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...in/photostream

Hmm, well my main impression is "holy pasterns Batman!"

I see a randomly assembled horse that is quite downhill and I would pass.

However, if it is sound and of a good mind there is plenty of worth in a lower level packer that isn't fancy but gets the job done and can be a jack of all trades for its owner.

3 members found this post helpful.

If the horse is growing I don't mind butt-high. The horse could still be growing (is it three coming four or two coming three?).

I agree, the pasterns are thin and long. Short cannons (that part I like), but thin boned. I would like to see the feet better.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

It's an unflattering pic, and I agree that the front legs looks too delicate for a jumping career. Neck ties in low. Hind end is small for the heaviness of the front. Not a very nicely conformed animal, if this pic is at all accurate. The arab canter horse in the other thread has a better build, for comparison.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Sorry she looks like a torn suspensory waiting to happen.

That particular picture doesn't do anything for me; I would pass based on that. If I met her in person and were in love, I would investigate further.

It's not just that she's butt-high, her stifles are much higher than her elbows.

I don't know what's going on with her front legs, but... *shudder*

She looks quite cute, but I don't see her holding up to any significant work.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Pass on this one. Too light below the knee.

I don't usually take issue with longish pasterns, but hers look seriously weak. Any horse can take a really bad pic, but this is a REALLY bad picture. I think you can find much more suitable prospects for a sport horse career.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Thanks for all the input! I went out and looked at her, they free jumped her and boy she can jump. But I agree i think she is too fine boned for the sport, and the pasterns are a worry as well. Plus they want quite a bit for her. Thanks!

Is she just turning 3? If so, I would bet she is a later spring baby. She just looks immature. It is not always a good age to look at them. Give them a few more months and they will look different.

She has a nice hind end. Good angles. I'm not surprised she can jump. She doesn't look too fine boned to me. It isn't about fine or thick...but bone density. To me, her fineness is ok because it matches the rest of her and I'd rather have them light and catty than thick and heavy. But hard to judge in the photo.

She does look a bit long in the pasterns but the real question is whether she is soft in them. The length may just be the picture and her age...but I don't want to see a ton of give in them when she moves.

In the end, it is a really hard picture to judge conformation....and I'd care a lot more how she moved and how she jumped, what her parents looked like and what her pedigree is.....especially if she is just turning 3.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I agree with BFNE. And well the photo angle sucks yup pasterns are longish and well she is F.A.T. To fat to be doing much jumping and I can t see the heels or length of toe...

BFNE, thank you for posting that. Agreed.

"Too fine boned" ? Really? It sounds like people are believing the flavor of FEH comments infiltrating the sport. I don't buy any of that malarkey.

JER's 14.2h mare who received "too fine boned" and "too small hooves" NEH/YEH comments is rockin' her job, is about to move up to Prelim, and has absolutely, positively no limits. Her sister was similiarly labeled "too fine boned" at 3yo and 5yo, yet is now a graceful, beautiful, kick-butt, sturdy, solid mare. These two mares are gems in our program, and are great examples of young eventers.

(As a total aside, I wonder if FEH/NEH/YEH would also say that the Polish and Egyptian Arabians are "too fine boned" for their 100-mile treks with 6'+ men.)

Developing an eventer means polishing the heart and spirit, providing correct training from the beginning, and utilizing proper management, all of which should be individualized to each horse. A horse may need a certain refined approach, particular shoeing, or other "special needs"; however, when methodologically approached, there are few career-prohibiting factors actually out there. When an animal is being ridden perfectly straight, has developed true connection and is in front of the leg, is properly going walk/trot/canter, steering, and jumping, then an assessment of conformation is more applicable and relevant.

I see a mare in good weight. No tone or shape, but definitely not overweight. I want my horses to be round and in healthy flesh-- not skinny shells.

I would take this mare in a heartbeat. Look at that eye and incredibly pleasant expression. If brought along correctly, there's nothing there that would limit her from being safe, sound, functional at her job.
    Last edited by Glenbaer; Jan. 23, 2013 at 06:52 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth.
    She does look tied in and I don't see those pasterns changing much with age(she's 3 yes?). She looks like a sweetheart, but I wouldn't chance a horse with those front legs for an eventing career. It's not just the tied in below the knee, but with those pasterns, it would worry me.

Of course you never know, there have been some world class horses with funky conformation, but if she is "pricey?" I'd hesitate, but then again, I'm not a predictor of world class horse flesh.

There are many racing TBs with long skinny pasterns. Unbridled's Song has produced many. Many have been unsound. There is great debate about the cause of his offspring's reputation for unsoundness and "breaking down", as in the case of Eight Bells.
    Some people feel that his progeny need time to develop but are not allowed it, thus the reputation for unsoundness. Others think he gets many unsound offspring, period.

With the forelegs of this mare at 3 yrs ? I would be very careful and start her very slowly.
    Last edited by skydy; Jan. 23, 2013 at 06:59 AM.