The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does my new dog need a blanket/coat?

This weekend, the SO and I adopted a wonderful Fox Terrier mix from a local rescue. She's the sweetest thing in the world, and we're completely smitten We stocked up on all the essentials, she's settled in well, and we've been having a lot of fun.

However, this cold snap has me wondering if we need to look into a coat for her. I'd been thinking of ordering a rainsheet type coat for her, to keep her dry and prevent her from smelling "doggy" when we have to take her out in the rain to do her business, but now I'm pondering insulation too. She's not especially thin coated, and didn't seem phased by the cold out walking for 20 minutes or so with either me this afternoon or the SO this morning. But her little ears were awfully chilly when we came in. We live in a condo, so she's only out for walks, not out in the cold for long durations.

She walks in a harness, because as a terrier, she wants to go after everything she sees, and it keeps her from choking herself. How do you usually manage that with a coat? The last time either of us had a dog, coats weren't so common, and he had malamutes anyway, so this is a bit of a new question for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    This weekend, the SO and I adopted a wonderful Fox Terrier mix from a local rescue. She's the sweetest thing in the world, and we're completely smitten We stocked up on all the essentials, she's settled in well, and we've been having a lot of fun.

However, this cold snap has me wondering if we need to look into a coat for her. I'd been thinking of ordering a rainsheet type coat for her, to keep her dry and prevent her from smelling "doggy" when we have to take her out in the rain to do her business, but now I'm pondering insulation too. She's not especially thin coated, and didn't seem phased by the cold out walking for 20 minutes or so with either me this afternoon or the SO this morning. But her little ears were awfully chilly when we came in. We live in a condo, so she's only out for walks, not out in the cold for long durations.

She walks in a harness, because as a terrier, she wants to go after everything she sees, and it keeps her from choking herself. How do you usually manage that with a coat? The last time either of us had a dog, coats weren't so common, and he had malamutes anyway, so this is a bit of a new question for us.
    unless she shows signs of being cold, I's safe the expense. It's not like you can't pick one (albait ugly) on the fly from nearly any store near by in a pinch.

as to harness, the coats usually have a small hole for the leash, near the neck. I guess you could - depending on material - just put one where you need it. (oh the magic when we went through sister's junk and tried to figure out that one single 'chap' with spur slot....nothing really you can put on a horse with any reason....blanket for the stubby, long gone JR terrier...)

of course, you can probably put the harness over top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I put blankets on my long haired dogs mostly to keep them cleaner at the barn but also because they are there for several hours at a time and they could get cold. I would definitely put a blanket on your dog and teach him not to chase while on a leash to make both of you happier.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, I have a Schnoodle who gets cold out in the barn at home, and certainly when we go to the boarding barn, he has to sport his collection of fab Rambo blankies!. I love the Smartpak thinsulate waterproof blanket--it has held up incredibly well, is warm and fits great. He also has a Rambo fleece, and a Weatherbeeta fleece (both in Newmarket stripe). Our ancient Lab mix also has a set of blankets--mainly because she's an indoor dog who has to spend workdays in the insulated (by chilly!) garage because she cannot stay out of a garbage to save herself--and she can open cupboards!

The dogs stay clean, and dry which is a plus when you have 6 of them! (we have coats for 4 of them). Our Corgi would roast in one, between his blubber layer and his bear-like fur coat.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I would go by Petco and get her something inexpensive just to cut the wind and keep her dry. She will look cute, and you won't be worried about her. I have coats for the 3 corgis mostly to keep them dry. They did not wear them today, but the 2 pug mixes did wear theirs. It was 32 and quite windy here today.

Congratulations on your new girl!

We've got a Boxer and a Boerboel and they are both so short haired I bought really nice Baker (horse) brand dog blankets for them when they are staying out for long times while I do barn/farm work. When I pull the coats off their backs are nice and warm...without them on the dogs are constantly asking when I'm going back to the house!! They both come running when I pull the blankets off the railing and have learned how to poke their heads through the neck hole. I would guess that means that they like and appreciate wearing them. I would definitely get a warm blanket for a Fox terrier. Not only are they short haired, but their bodies are fine enough that they don't have much fat padding.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Ours have coats. GSP's have them for warmth. Corgi collection wears the to keep dry. Wet corgi takes a long time to dry.

Thanks, guys! Looks like I've got an excuse to stop at a tack store and/or Petsmart to see what the raincoat options are. The SO doesn't understand the desire, and while I agree with him on the "not dressing her in silly outfits" theory, I also don't want to have a wet filthy dog napping on the couch with me! She's a little thicker coated than a real Fox Terrier would be, so while cold isn't as much of an issue, the staying damp issue definitely is. He was looking a little less skeptical after I showed him some of the coats that are more ruggedly horse blanket style than the silly sweaters we see here so often. The cold didn't seem to trouble her too much today, so I'll hold off on something fleecy or insulated for now.

We're working on the walking without being very ADD about everything. We've only had her since Saturday, so we're still figuring things out and getting her used to a routine and our behavior expectations. She's a very quick study, though!

"does my dog need a dog coat/blanket?" what kind of question is this?!?!?!
    The answer is naturally,
    OF COURSE!!!!
    cuz all dawgz luk kutez in dawg blankies!"
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

My mini aussie actually has 3 waterproof, insulated blankets, and one fleece. Even though she has fairly long hair, it isn't very thick. She is at the barn with me for several hours every day. I also like that it keeps her dry and less dirty.

I shaved my poodle this winter cause he would run in the snow, get all wet, then walk through the indoor arena and get disgusting!!
    This is how he looked a few times going to the barn
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...32004038_n.jpg
    2 jackets, and his booties (he HATES his booties, and is slowly accepting his jackets more, willing to move in them now haha)

1 members found this post helpful.

My Beagles stay outside during the day. They have insulated Dog-gloos stuffed with shavings and straw to curl up in and are happy to go out, never showing signs of the cold.

However, I decided with our recent minus 0 wind chills and dropped temps that they needed some fleecy, windbreaker outfits. Well, the smaller of the two grudgingly wears her coat, seems embarrassed and walks like a robot in it. The larger, younger, more active one figured out how to chew and wiggle out of hers and I found it literally buried in a pile of leaves down at the lower end of their pen. I guess she has made it clear how she feels about outfits.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

I have a Chi cross and I bought a dog coat from Dover for him.
    I snap the harness over it.

I also have knit him a sweater and put the harness over it also.

I made fleece coats for my daughter's JRT and we snap the harness over them too. Her boy gets cold and WANTS to wear his sweaters/coats in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    I shaved my poodle this winter cause he would run in the snow, get all wet, then walk through the indoor arena and get disgusting!!
    2 jackets, and his booties (he HATES his booties, and is slowly accepting his jackets more, willing to move in them now haha)
    I'd be afraid to go to sleep ay night: That LOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Dude - this one is too large, I knitted a smaller one
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39035668@N02/8408472240/

Cooper - just right the 1st time!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39035668@N02/8408472300/

1 members found this post helpful.

LOVE your new addiction.....er, addition...lol..........believe me, it may easily beome an addiction!........i have 2 toy fox terriers, very similar to yours..........one isvery sensitive to the cold..in the 20s currently...............the other is happy to go bursting into the yard and seems to stay warm enough withall his own activity....tried a coat for him several times, and all he would move is his eyeballs.............the other dog loves being much warmer, and would live in a sweater if allowed..........
    so, guess it depends on the dog.......
    and my dogs don't seem to get tht doggie smell........and when theyget dirty, just pop into the kitchen sink for a fast wash, and towel dry...........!
    very easy to care for.........hope you have many many happy years with your little one.......lol.......get another one, they are soooooooo funny to watch together

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    They both come running when I pull the blankets off the railing and have learned how to poke their heads through the neck hole.
    Haha my Dobes poke their heads through the hole too!! I just hold the jacket up and they run into it. They have quite the collection of fleece, windbreakers and insulated coats hanging by the back door

I figure if I have to put on a sweatshirt and/or jacket to go outside why wouldn't my dogs need something as well??

My boxer always wears a coat in the winter... she sticks her head through the hole and comes running when I pull it out. But she also spends the entire time she has it on trying to get it off!
    She has a wide assortment of coats and jackets, sweaters and hoodies! I actually made her a rain coat and a fleece lined winter jacket out of an old rain sheet I had! The material is so much tougher than the dog blankets I found!

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Ditto - be very afraid when you go to sleep! The look!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

unless you are quite sure the dog is cold, aka shivering or refusing to go outside, I wouldn't bother. Most dogs are extremely cold-resistant and are much happier naked. Especially if the dog is moving the entire time outside and isn't just lying/lounging around. It was a balmy 10 degrees here this morning and my dogs were PANTING (trying to release body heat) after running around wrestling for a bit. I've had more than one dog decide to break the ice on the pond and go for a sub-zero dip in order to cool off after running around. They'd be utterly miserable in coats. Most dogs you see in coats don't need them and are probably uncomfortably warm.

Some dogs do need coats- these are usually dogs with very short single-coat layers of hair and little to no body fat, like sighthounds or boxers. They will usually tell you in no uncertain terms that they need a coat.

I worry more about feet in the winter- salt on the pavement, rough frozen churned up mud breaking toenails and ripping up pads, ice between the toes- than anything else. I'd invest my money in dog boots long before I'd consider getting a coat for a dog.

-cold ears doesn't tell you anything about how cold the dog's core body temperature is. Even in a coat your dog's ears will feel cold after being out on a cold day.