The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show me pics of your runs/paddocks off stalls - anyone use HG?

Title says it. Looking for visuals. I'd like to create some runs/dry lot for the muddy times. I use HG for all my fencing and so far love it.

Anyone use if for their runs/dry lot?

What is a decent size run for one horse or paddock for 3?

Our barn has paddocks off the stalls that are 30 x 70 and 36 x 100. Barn has a 12' overhang that is matted underneath, sloped gently away from the barn, and fit between 1-3 horses.

Overnight one horse is in a paddock, but during the day it fits 2-3 depending on herd dynamics (3 nice ponies, for example)

Horses are fed in tubs that are bolted to the wall to reduce mud. Gravel added every other year to keep fresh.

http://goo.gl/maps/nNn4t

Horses are only in the dry lots every other day during the winter and not at all in the summer.

Is that a covered round pen AND an indoor???

And if it is...LUCKY!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Have old 80' x 40' Quonset barn, that we added an overhang to.

We have under that overhang an 80' x 32' area we can work horses in hand there and groom and saddle and get on to walk/trot around.
    Then we have an 80' x 28' space in front, half, 40' is a 40' x 28' shed, the other half has three about 14'x 14' portable stalls with each an about 14' x 14' foot area under the shed and 54' x 14' runs outside:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...chmentaspx.jpg

This was meant to be our quarantine barn, is for now our main barn, until we some day build a main barn.

We like the runs better at 16' wide.
    14' is a bit tight if you put horses next to each other that one is aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Is that a covered round pen AND an indoor???

And if it is...LUCKY!

Yep! It is a beautiful place

Bluey what kind of panels did you use? And how are they attached to your posts?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

We used there mostly Powder River square top panels.
    Some we used also were Bobs Pipe square top panels.
    For horses, square top may keep a horse that rears and paws at another horse from hanging a leg in the curve space between curvy top panels.
    I only know of one horse that happened to, but we try to avoid leaving such spaces if we can now.

Our vet used to say, between horses, if using pipe, is better to have pipe that is big enough to keep them in, small enough to give if they hit it.
    He saw 2" and bigger oil field pipe pens that didn't have any give and a horse hit them and was injured severely and lighter pipe, that when a horse hit them gave enough to do much less damage if at all to the horse.

Our old stallion pens were big pipe at the top and 5' V mesh below, 12' above the ground, on 8' distances from pipe post to post.
    We never had a horse injured in those old pens.

Here, we want to be able to change pen shape and size as needed, so we have used portable panels every place.

Those panels come with pins on one end and connect to each other.
    To attach them to the posts we wired them with a #9 wire and in the ends, we welded little pieces of small pipe to the post and dropped the pins thru them, but could have also wired them there.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have some pictures on my website below. I can't seem to copy and paste it (sorry!) but it's under the Tour the Farm section.

Thanks Bluey... good info to have as I was thinking of doing something similar.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Did NOT mean to hijack...but HAD to comment to MK, jeeeze!!!! Gorgeous farm, you groom boarders horses, pick feet 3 x a week, offer tack cleaning AND have a wonderful group of corgis? Heaven.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

1 members found this post helpful.

Haha thanks Arabz!

I love farm life! My new project is the pitchfork chronicles website and I'm having such a blast doing it! I'm sure the techies at my web hosting site absolutely groan when I call because I am so clueless with computers!

Serigraph- I added some additional views to give you an idea of what the paddocks look like. I apologize, but I can't seem to paste the images here so you have to go to the pitchfork chronicles to view it. The pics are under the Stable and Farm section.
    Last edited by mkevent; Jan. 27, 2013 at 01:37 PM.