The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The bestest beach trip EVER!

Yesterday, it was a tart 30 degrees here at home, so what did we do? We headed over the mountains to the bee-yoo-tee-ful Oregon coast where it was expected to be 55 degrees.

I don't know that my boy has ever been, and we know for sure that my friend's Dutch sport pony never had, but both boys were super well behaved and we ran through 3 of the 4 paces (friend doesn't like to go fast, so no galloping, boo!) both as a pair and separately. Somewhere there is a video of me cantering circles in the surf - possibly the most fun I've ever had.

Along the way, we encountered an unusual number of driftwood logs that were undeniably set up by the Sea Gods as XC fences for me to play with - so, naturally, I strung a few together:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...4142180&type=2

Apologies for the video quality, it's hard to video with the assistance of a pony. I hadn't planned on doing any gallop/jump work, so went in my dressage saddle, which accounts for the lack of actual riding (I'm really just holding on!).

Can't say I've ever had this much fun. The only improvement would have been a good, pipe-cleaning gallop, but I prefer to do that alone anyway. It was a super successful trip, well behaved horses (mine in a Nathe, no less!) and beautiful weather.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Is that the Big Galoot that I met?

He looks great, easy to ride and willing-- water, logs whatevs.

I'm so glad you got to take your horses out for some fun!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

55 degrees? And riding on the beach?

It's hard not to hate

ETA: I'll trade your 30 for our 10.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Is that the Big Galoot that I met?

He looks great, easy to ride and willing-- water, logs whatevs.

I'm so glad you got to take your horses out for some fun!
    Yes! Admittedly slightly out of shape and a little skinny, but happy nonetheless.

caballero, if it makes you feel better, I had to drive through an icy pass to get there. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyperventilating at least once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    caballero, if it makes you feel better, I had to drive through an icy pass to get there. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyperventilating at least once or twice.
    Sucks but seems the reward was worth it.

I stayed beachside in Hilton Head Island for Thanksgiving and every day that we went out on the beach I was wishing for a horse something fierce. That beach was made for galloping.

I did that in December... only I got super lucky and it was 65 degrees!!! We had so much fun too!!!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0570966&type=3

Don't you just love driftwood jumps?!?! Though I will embarassingly admit that my prelim/training eventer was spooky and my friends h/j arab jumped on over... and gave us a lead.

I'm so going back!!!! So glad you got to enjoy it too. Looks like everyone was having a blast!

Heinz, you aren't old enough to have a prescription for doing "dumb kid things" with your horse now and again, but it's necessary. If we don't, we lose it.

Big Galoot is large, so it was nice to see him stretch out in alotta open space. He looked very happy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Big Galoot is large, so it was nice to see him stretch out in alotta open space. He looked very happy.
    Despite his size, the boy can move. I have yet to see where top speed is, as we rarely have enough space for that, but I liken him to driving a german luxury sedan - his 0-60 time may not be dragstrip worthy, but once you get moving, you could just cruise all day with the pedal down and a finger on the steering wheel. His gallop is easy on the body and covers plenty of ground. I was really tempted to let him fly yesterday, but didn't want to abandon my friend in case her horse protested being left alone. We'll make another trip, solo, hopefully with my photographer-father in tow, to get in a good gallop.

I try to do something dumb at least once a week, although I try to do it safely. You probably can't make it out, but I *was* wearing my crash vest just in case.

What fun! Wish I was closer to a beach, I'd LOVE to take Apollo out.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    I did that in December... only I got super lucky and it was 65 degrees!!! We had so much fun too!!!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0570966&type=3

Don't you just love driftwood jumps?!?! Though I will embarassingly admit that my prelim/training eventer was spooky and my friends h/j arab jumped on over... and gave us a lead.

I'm so going back!!!! So glad you got to enjoy it too. Looks like everyone was having a blast!
    Fleck - your video didn't work but since you live in NC I'm wondering which beach you went to?

I'm now 10 miles from the coast & definitely planning some beach rides soon!! There's nothing better or more thrilling than a beach gallop!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I actually live in Georgia, but drove to Hunting Island, SC. It's right near Fripp Island. Dec through Feb they allow horses on the beach. And yes... I would agree... nothing better!!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    I actually live in Georgia, but drove to Hunting Island, SC. It's right near Fripp Island. Dec through Feb they allow horses on the beach. And yes... I would agree... nothing better!!
    Whoops for some reason I had it in my head you lived in NC! Don't know where I got that idea from!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

How Fun!!!! I love doing stuff like that with my horse. It's so good for them and for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Despite his size, the boy can move. I have yet to see where top speed is, as we rarely have enough space for that, but I liken him to driving a german luxury sedan - his 0-60 time may not be dragstrip worthy, but once you get moving, you could just cruise all day with the pedal down and a finger on the steering wheel. His gallop is easy on the body and covers plenty of ground.
    I got that impression from him, too. So you'd be going about 70 and think about shifting into 5th. You do and feel that you have a lot more room for speed. You ask..... and then wonder how many more "stretch out and gallop" gears there are. You'd have to be going pretty.darn.fast before that big horse had to raise the RPMs.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Looks like a blast!!!