The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Harbridge Training Aid

Just curious what everyone's opinion is on the Harbridge training aid?? One of my friends bought some in Europe and let me borrow them. I used them probably once every six months or less. I personally like them a lot better than draw reins because my horse couldn't lean on them. They don't seem to have gained any popularity here in the US.

Anyone else had any experience with them?

Looks pretty dangerous and a bit nasty if you ask me.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I'm not generally a fan of any gadgets that aren't directly connected to my own hands. I want control over exactly how much pressure is exerted, when and in what direction. In the UK at least you don't often see the Harbridge used by dressage trainers. I've actually seen bungees more often, though I'm not keen on those either.

As a forthcoming slew of posters will no doubt suggest, there are probably better ways to improve your horse's way of going. Out of curiosity, what exactly is the problem you're aiming to fix with the Harbridge?
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

You have got to be kidding me.

Besides the fact that it's a disaster waiting to happen, it's encouraging the horse to go incorrectly. It's pulling the nose down and back and prevents the horse from stretching and reaching INTO the contact.

No. Just no.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

They're not bad for lunging when you want to encourage the horse to reach down, but a chambon is a much better tool for that because the horse can stretch forward too.

ETA: They have to be fairly loose even lunging though. Think standing martingale adjustment loose.

Believe it or not, it's not the harshest of "devices" commonly used over here... mostly by the "showing" fraternity (a cousin to American hunters/breed shows). Many of them honestly believe that training is about "getting the head in".
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I had a feeling there wouldn't be a lot of good comments.. I used them on my old horse 3-4 times in the 4 years I was riding her. I am not a huge fan of gadgets by any means but they were suggested to me when we were having a particularly bad day. I thought of them the other day and was wondering if anyone else had any experience.

Doesn't sound like anyone has used them. Maybe for good reason, but they seemed to help me more than draw reins! Thanks for the replies