The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which (sales) sites to look at?

I did a quick search here, but not getting many results.
    When looking for an eventing horse(trained or prospect), what are your go to sales sites?
    Do you use public sales sites or more private/barn sites & forums?
    Are there any you tend to stay away from?
    I know the more common ones...
    dreamhorse, equine.com, equinenow, etc. but haven't had much luck on those. They are so overrun with "the next big thing" type of ads, it gets old sorting through them all...

Sport Horse Nation and Area classifieds. And lots and lots of word of mouth. The best horses I tried while shopping (including the one I ended up with) where found word of mouth. The worst came from online ads.

I have bought many through dreamhorse and equine.com as well as through the USEA area sites, individual barn sites, and sporthorsenation (sort of - called on a different horse. The one I ended up buying hadn't yet been advertised). Virginiaequestrian is good if you are in the area. When using the big sites, it helps to have a fairly clear view of what you are looking for so that you can do a very directed "advanced search"

My last several
    Oldenberg gelding - dreamhorse
    TB gelding - other horse from person who had posted on Sporthorsenation
    TB gelding - googled "for sale gelding loves to jump" Yes seriously
    Trak gelding - dreamhorse
    Trak gelding - site of someone I previously bought from
    TB gelding - same site as above
    Holst/Appyx - dreamhorse
    TB gelding - dreamhorse (first horse from person I then bought the other 2 from)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

1 members found this post helpful.

Face Book......all of us put horses on face book

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Face Book......all of us put horses on face book
    I have found a couple FB pages designated to eventing tack/horse sales & keep checking back on them.
    The only downfall I'm finding with FB is that unless you know the name of the person/place, you can't really search for individual pages.

I also find facebook tough because horses don't stay at the top of your timeline, so if you don't update frequently and it doesn't sell, it is hard to find that it is still there and available. I actually look regularly at a few people's where I really liked it better when they kept their website up to date versus using facebook
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

As mentioned sporthorse nation:
    http://eventingnation.com/sporthorsenation

And warmbloods for sale (gasp But they have more than just warmbloods, usually with video which is nice!):
    http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/

Have fun but keep your eyes and ears open!

Edited to add - if you're in Canada do not hesitate to contact the 'big' pros and ask them if they know of any for sale. Jessie, Diana and Penny Rowland come to mind - they either tend to have students moving up and needing to sell or regularly work with breeders so know of young stock available. Since they are super nice and approachable I would give them a shout and ask, can't hurt to ask. If you feel guilty about the time commitment on their part just offer to pay them hourly - easy to work out arrangement.

www.equine.com
    www.dreamhorse.com
    www.equinenow.com
    www.horseclicks.com

these are the go-to sites i would say besides the usea classifieds and eventing nation

Eventing Nation (or sport horse nation) or the USEA area sites are prob some of the better websites. I've personally only had tire kickers from ANY of the "normal" websites - and I refuse to continue to waste my money on listing with them. For me personally, my best sales are from contacts made either in real life or FB or COTH. Almost all of my horses have sold off FB the last 3 years (I've sold 6 in last 3 years).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I sold my 3yr old warmblood gelding geared towards eventing/jumpers on warmbloods-for-sale.com
    I also got the least tire kickers from that site, and I liked it because it was a one time fee for the listing till the horse sold.

On facebook, there is a group called 'Event Horses for Sale' - lists a wide variety. I'd also look at "Hunt Horses for Sale" on facebook.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

my personal website, several of the above already named and i do a lot of sales off of facebook, believe it or not.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Yep. Facebook "Event Horses For Sale" or "Sport Horses For Sale", equinenow.com and sporthorsenation.