The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maybe.

You have horses out your back door, why can't your husband watch them for the hour it would take you to ride one? Do you not want to leave them alone with him or will he not watch them?

If you always have something more important to do then go out and ride then you do have a list of excuses because riding isn't a priority, which is ok, but it doesn't seem ok.

So expect your husband to watch your kids for an hour, trust that he will do a good job, and make the time to go ride.

1 members found this post helpful.

I work from home also, have horses at home and manage to ride during the day over my "lunch hour". I don't have kids, but if hubby isn't working now, is there a good reason that he can't watch the kids for an hour?

In the ancient year of 1984 I would park my car in the shade of a tree beside the arena, have the window open so I could hear and see my infant daughter snoozing in her car seat and ride my mare....when no one else was at the barn...and well before cell phones were in use. Looking back on that arrangement now makes me feel Bohemian which seemed so safe, practical and normal back then. But this was in Virginia in the spring.

Enlist your hubba to help to give you some Mom time, whether it is to ride or go to a movie with friends. You will be better for it! After our second child was born we moved and I was without horses for about 6 years. That was God's way of making sure I got my priorities right because trust me, I have no self-control when asked to choose between horse stuff and family stuff.

My mom's solution to this was to put me in a backpack type carrier and take me trail riding with her. I realize that in this day and age, that's frowned upon. But I took a lot of naps on horseback when I was a baby.

It seems to me the simple solution here is to just map out a couple of days a week where you take a "lunch break" and dad stays with kids. I have worked from home and it was most effective for me to treat my day like I would were I in an office. IE: I was IN my home office, not doing laundry, cooking, or in your case dealing with kids/hubby, when it was time for me to work.

I often worked straight through from 8-6 but I rode before work in the morning (had to drive to barn) or rode after dinner. I would think you could factor in a lunch hour where you go for a ride. Or have dad get kiddos up and around in the morning and go ride before your work day begins.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I also work from home and I am with BuddyRoo on this one. I also understand the feeling of needing to work as much as possible, because billable time is $$ in my pocket.

One thing that I have done for awhile is work extra hours M-W and go offline an hour early T-Th, then work a half day on Fri. That of course requires your employer to be a bit flexible. I have also done the start-work-at-7am-sign-off-at-4pm thing to get to riding in the winter when it gets dark too early.

Just some thoughts. I know it is more difficult when your husband is back to work. But you may have to get creative about scheduling OR be more firm about taking a set "lunch break" to ride especially since your horses are right outside your door.

One thing that might help you OP is to get out a calendar and physically block off chunks of time that are going to be used for you to ride or go to lunch with friends or whatever. I did the most riding in my life when I adhered to a schedule.

From a work standpoint, this is what worked best for me (whether working at home or at a brick and mortar) when I really was riding and had kids in the house.

Monday: NO appts on Mondays ever. I did not schedule dentist, doctor, any client meetings, nothing on Mondays. Mondays were for me to make my action plan for the week, prepare for any meetings or conf calls or appts the rest of the week. Throw together a crock pot meal for Tues while making Monday night dinner. No barn on Monday.

Tues, Wed, Thurs: Work like a dog. Crock pot dinner for Tues that would provide enough lunch leftovers and possibly for "Fend for yourself Thursday". Ride after work. Wed I would ride after work, 20 min meal, usually with leftovers. Thursday was "fend for yourself dinner" where the kids, hubby and myself all made our own dinner--cereal, sandwhich or leftovers. Ride. Friday I would skip the barn, taco friday, watch a movie with the fam. Saturday I'd plan my menu for Sunday through Friday of the following week, then go to the barn, the office, and the grocery store. Sunday I would work on the house, laundry, etc, make a big dinner. Maybe go to the barn in the afternoon if we didn't have other stuff going on.

Having a routine really worked for me. Once the kids started being more involved in after school stuff and my husband started working out of state, it got a lot harder to stick to a schedule. I think you have a great opportunity to get one together now though.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    So you're telling me that your husband can't watch your kids by himself without killing them for an hour a few days a week?

You are married and if you want an hour to spend on a horse a few days a week it should not be such a big deal. Either he's a lazy unhelpful bum or you are an overprotective mother with a bag of excuses.

I know I'm being very blunt, but the time is there if you want it to be there.
    ^This
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.