The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Using Nematodes for Ticks

We will be moving to a new farm in Virginia this spring. The property is mostly pasture surrounded by woods. There is an abundant tick population.
    I know I can use all sorts of topical repellents and feed thru's for the beasties and for people. What I am wondering is, has anyone had any success with the benefitial nematodes that target ticks? Can they be used on a fairly large area (10+ acres) or do they work best on a smaller scale - just around the yard/barn?
    And PLEASE - do not suggest chickens or guineas - the hawk/fox/coyote population would have a party.

I've never heard of using nematodes to combat ticks, and I've educated myself about them since we are in the Lyme epicenter.

What I have heard to do is to keep the grass mowed short (I'd add, fence out woods if you have a choice, ticks hang out in the edges where the forest meets fields). You can also spray permethrin into the tick habitat (yes, as much as 10 acres) but it is pretty pricey.

Not too much else works though I can talk of other methods I've learned of too.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had luck with just spraying the perimeter, particularly near a woodland edge. If you can have 3' of bare earth or mulch between high grass or woods, that will help too. Mow, mow, and mow. That's the best advice I can give.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I've finally decided that the best way to protect the horses from Lyme is to add the Lyme disease vaccine. There are a couple in our area that follow the Cornell protocol.

definitely keep the pasture mowed, as that is the biggest risk in your situation. Keep the woods fenced off, unless you need a cut thru or something.

And just realize there WILL be ticks, and you just hope they aren't Lyme-carrying ones