The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Updates on our cushings pony!

I'm not sure how many remember my incessant posts back in September when we brought home this little girl, but if you did, I wanted to update that she's doing AWESOME!
    I've been keeping a blog and its helped me to see how much progress she's made.
    I'm so glad you all encouraged me and I don't regret taking her for a second. She's been a great first pony for my daughter, and my daughter has learned responsibility, love, etc. from caring for her. She loves her to pieces. I just want to cry every time I see them together!
    Anyway, here's a link, I hope you enjoy!
    http://valentinaandlily.blogspot.com/

Great news! Did you end up keeping her on pergolide or did you take her off of it?

Cute pics btw!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

She's on prascend. Which I believe is just tablet form. I think she'll probably be on it for life.

Wow, she looks great! What a change!! And great news on her feet! Do you know how old she is?

My Cushings guy is much, much better but I suspect he still needs a higher dose of Prascend - he is on 1/2 tablet per day but I would have expected more change by now. He has gained weight for sure, and looks so much healthier. But I would have thought he'd have more muscle built back up just from being turned out for 6 months - his neck, for example is still very thin/atrophied in appearance, and also his hind quarters.

Maybe it is not possible for him to recover fully - I am sure he was symptomatic for at least 10 years without treatment.

Feet are still a work in progress....still have some obvious bruising and stretched laminae, and they recently grew like crazy and after 5 weeks he looked like he hadn't been trimmed in a year. We're going to 3 weeks for now (he'll get looked at every time farrier is here for the other horses), but I am hoping he doesn't need that for long.

Anyway, I am not positive when he can have his ACTH retested - do you know? I know "not in fall" but will put a call in to my vet soon for a re-test.

Congrats on the hard work and great results on your pony - she looks great and it sounds like you'll have a great riding season with her this year!!

Wow, she is looking great!

SA - I'm glad your guy is doing better, been wondering!
    I think its recommended to retest in spring, but that's just my vet's recommendation.

She looks great; love the butt shot. Three lucky beings: you, your daughter, and Valentina. Bless you all...
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Your pony is adorable - I just sent you a PM...