The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Educate me on dog food for the smallish, slightly overweight

DH and I will most likely be getting a dog once we settle into our new digs. We both like her and the dog loves me through massive bribes of treat laden pockets, but very friendly, sweet dog as a whole. She's a quick study this one, sits by a look and figuring out down(usually we meet outside, so down isn't really nice in the snow), comes when called. She's a beagle mix of some sort, I think corgi, but she doesn't have the stunted legs.

I know about the generic Purina/Dad's foods are filled with corn and junk. Our usual grocer started carrying Evolve, both cat and dog food( http://www.triumphpet.com/evolve/evolve.pdf ) which looks decent, it does seem to have a lot of plant based ingredients after the first 4. I've used Chicken Soup in the past with my family's old dog and she liked it. I do have a CountryMax and TSC close by that have huge selections.

I switched my cats to an all wet diet after all these years and they are doing great. Do dogs need wet food as well as dry? Old family dog got her kibble top dressed with wet but we really didn't know any better. New dog is a little overweight, she doesn't have the conformation to be really svelt(again more corgi shaped body), but she's got a pretty good covering over her ribs. Still has the belly "tuck" though and she's very active. I think she's carrying a bit more since she stays outside (with a dog house) most days.

New place has lots of room to run outside and in. I plan on having the cat's feeding area off limits for he dog. I've started to cut back on the treats already, not giving her one every time she does something, but lots of praise/attention instead.

as far as I know, dogs don't REALLY need wet food the way cats do, but there are two reasons why one might want to not-feed just dry kibble:

1) feeding dry kibble dramatically increases the risk of your dog getting bloat. Bloat is the #3 cause of death of older dogs. Adding table scraps, meat, or canned foods to the bowl of kibble dramatically reduces the risk of bloat.

2) it is ludicrous to believe that we know enough about nutrition to somehow pack everything a dog needs into one bag of dry processed lumps. It is 100% certain that the stuff isn't actually complete and balanced. Dog nutritionists strongly recommend that if you are feeding commercial kibble that you a) rotate brands frequently to alter the nutritional makeup of the food, to try to make up for minor deficiencies in one brand that will be different from the minor deficiencies of another brand; and b) supplement the diet with fresh foods- try to feed 10% or so of the dog's daily calories in the form of a wide variety of fresh foods- it's easy enough to just select from the table scraps of the household for this purpose.

For dog weight loss, the best thing to do is to feed less and exercise more. As to selecting an appropriate food, look for something with low carbohydrate content. Namely, in terms of dry kibble, look for something with a % fat of around 20% and a protein content that is very high, at least 35%, preferably higher. For a small dog, the ideal weight-loss diet is probably one of the commercial raw diets that are available- very low in carbohydrates and full of what dogs need, which is meat. For small dogs, these are very affordable. You can buy various pre-made raw diets these days that look and are handled just like kibble, so they are very easy to feed.
    For example: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...od/999276.aspx

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ts/531005.aspx

One major benefit to feeding raw is the teeth stay much cleaner- many small dogs are predisposed to dental problems, and feeding raw may reduce your dental bills vs. feeding kibble.

if you choose to feed a dry raw diet, the comments above about benefits of adding fresh foods still apply.

A good way to put a dog of any size on a diet is to (gradually) replace up to 1/2of it's food with green beans. Fresh or frozen, canned if salt free.

Most of the grocery store brands are just not a decent dog food. Check out the dogfoodadvisor.com.

I like a grain free, limited ingredient food for my dogs. Tractor Supply has a reasonably priced grain free food...4Health.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Can you get Wellness? The Wellness Small Breed Healthy Weight really, really helped my 10-lb. guy when he came back from a summer with my mom weighing, well, almost double. (She literally fed him eggs for breakfast every morning...)

Now he's on the regular Wellness Small Breed. It's good food.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Most of the grocery store brands are just not a decent dog food. Check out the dogfoodadvisor.com.

I like a grain free, limited ingredient food for my dogs. Tractor Supply has a reasonably priced grain free food...4Health.
    I agree that most grocery stores carry crap food. However, in the land of Danny Wegman, we are very spoiled. They used to carry Nature's Harmony and why I included the new food label, they also carry Castor and Pollux Organix and Natural Life foods. Plus I know DH will balk more if he can't do his one stop shopping on his week to pick up groceries...

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Sorry to hijack, but along the same lines...

wendy, what 'raw material' would you recommend to supplement a dogs dry food? Also, if trying for weight loss (not much - I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow but I'm thinking ~5lbs) should I be adding the raw material to the dry food she gets or supplementing it?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    I agree that most grocery stores carry crap food. However, in the land of Danny Wegman, we are very spoiled. They used to carry Nature's Harmony and why I included the new food label, they also carry Castor and Pollux Organix and Natural Life foods. Plus I know DH will balk more if he can't do his one stop shopping on his week to pick up groceries...
    Now, I dispute your statement. Wegman's is not a grocery store...it's heaven on earth.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.