The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick fence charger question....

Contemplating splitting our hot fence in to two circuits, one for each side of the farm. There's aalready a third and a fourth circuit for our cousins' lease horse fence and small-animal fences.

Both units would be low impedance, both on seperate plugs, breakers, and grounds; the grounds would be somehwere around 50-60 feet apart (one side of the barn to the other)

Are there any crosstalk/voltage bleed issues I should worry about, or just fire and forget?
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

how about a switch between the two fences. Only downside is the one side will always be on.

Or with more wiring, split the feeds and the fences. Place a "Y" at the fencer and then high voltage circuits to each fence.

Advantage is then only one fencer & ground system.

I have one fencer & 30 acres fenced with 5 different areas that are charged or not according to my use.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    how about a switch between the two fences. Only downside is the one side will always be on.

Or with more wiring, split the feeds and the fences. Place a "Y" at the fencer and then high voltage circuits to each fence.

Advantage is then only one fencer & ground system.

I have one fencer & 30 acres fenced with 5 different areas that are charged or not according to my use.
    That's my problem, actually... I've got a consistently-a-problem side that Y's out basically at the barn, and every time the problem manifests, it sucks down my good legs. And I can't actually apply a -permanent- fix to the problem leg without sinking wooden fenceposts and fixing someone else's fence which is 1100 feet of barely maintained fence. Not my cup of tea. I'm a nice guy, but if I'm going to go hand dig half a dozen wooden fenceposts, it's going to be on our fence.

We've got 60 acres split up into 14 pastures. 11 of them are on the "problem" leg, with 6 behind the slop. If I split it up and rerun 25 feet, it'll have 8 powered good fence and 6 behind the slop....

If I throw a 19kv, 175 mile, low-impedance fence charger on that side, at least it stands a chance the next post that falls over, breaks, or nine strands get blown into it by the wind...

I see ... Fence maintenance is a constant chore for us too. I wouldn't expect even the most powerful charger to work with a dead short in the fence.

As you said ... Fire away with a separate system.

I don't see a potential problem for yours if you're willing to live with a few pastures with iffy fence.

Awesome, I'll run with it. Pretty sure I have at least one more ground rod on hand.... then I'll just need to wire down a plug somewhere convenient. Pretty sure I left enough excess when I put the lights on that corner.

ETA... yeah, we have a pretty solid perimeter on those fields... the electric is just to keep the 3 groups up there seperate and off resting pastures.
    Last edited by Belg; Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Get a Stafix. It'll still be kicking if part of the fence is laying on the ground. We've had one in service for more years than I remember. It's one of the few things that I'm brand loyal to.

I'd run it all off one charger and use these where you think you need them:
    http://www.kencove.com/fence/Cutout+...tail_MCCHD.php

That's a real nicely designed cutout. The one I picked up at SS is almost impossible to use when it's attached to fence... I'm just using the gate handles themselves now as power cutouts. I've got a nifty setup that uses 12 guage steel wire bent back on itself and a wire clamp to hold the loop as a hot receiver for the gate handle and goes into a polyrope clamp... and for cold fence, a zip tie right below it.

not sure "cheap" "easy" and "fast" describe this solution but it looks like around (6) 200 foot spools of insulated wire might solve the vast majority of my problems. Actually, for the same time involved and a bit more effort, I could just drive a half down or so tposts (or pull and resink new wooden posts... pretty sure they used landscape ties last time, of which I have an abundance) fix and tension the offending fence and be done with it; it just irritates me to no end to have to do someone else's job for them.